mick2me

Dancing Slipper, Central Ave W.B.

tomlinson    869

Going further down the road, away from the Trent Bridge end but on the same side as the Slipper, there was another pub which featured a trio/quartet which was so bad it was brilliant. It was like something from a Goon Show. No offence to anyone who may have been a part of it!

Rayp    2

Why?Won't it Light

• Upvote 1

Commo    904

The Test Match Hotel was in Gordon Square, a bit further on from Central Avenue. They had a Jazz Club on the upper floor, I think, and was a more "intimate" venue than the Slipper, which meant it was smaller and therefore a lot hotter !

tomlinson    869

The TBI was also a good venue for jazz in the 50/60s.

Cliff Ton    5,890

Going from the Slipper away from Trent Bridge - but on the same side of the road - the Test Match is the only pub you'd find.

It's been 'renovated' in recent years but still has its art deco features and is more civilised than many other pubs around. I could easily imagine a so-bad-it's-good quartet playing somewhere in there.

Froggy    3

I went there a few times in the '60s. What sticks in my mins was Kenny Ball. Long John Baldry was there but not performing. He was surrounded by girls - I guess they didn't know!

TGC    212

I wus workin' in me first job as van-lad ut Whiteheads Robin Hood Confectionery (Bulwell), un we had a late delivery to Dancing Slipper one Friday night.

I saw dancing together, rather tipsily John Winfield and Barry Lyons.

The next day I went to Forests away game against Leeds - and they lost 7-0!

Oh dear.

TTFN

Blondie    1,353

I can remember dancing there in the early 60's, meeting some nice blokes from Clifton, they were farmers boys.............Ivy Brooks was a ballroom dancing teacher and held her dancing classes there as well.........My friend Lorraine ballroom danced there......... she had her wedding reception there in 1971........

• Upvote 2

mick2me    2,962

Welcome Mikho :)

What records do you remember from there?

Blondie    1,353

Welcome Mikho :)

What records do you remember from there?

Most of the late 60's music, used to dance the night away......

chillijava    0

i dont know if i am posting in the right area, but does anyone else remeber going to the dancing slipper in west bridgford in the middle to late 1970s, they used to have discos, if i remember rightly it was on a wednesdays and fridays and could also have been on a monday too, if so can you remember anyone who went and what the djs name was, i think at one time the dance teacher who owned the dancing slipper, it was her grandson paul brooks who did the disco, i would love to here from anyone who went there or remembers who the djs were

chillijava

DAVIDW    1,085

Guy I spoke to last week in West Cornwall called Colin Bacon said he dj'd at the Slipper in the 60s .

swe62    261

we used to go in the 70s with john (rick ) rickaby on his thunderbird  ,me on myT110 and hammo on his A10 we used to see Dave Moult and Ralph there good times