Where i live the local kids come round on Oct 31st and ask for a trick or treat. Then they put their hands out and ask for money or sweets.

when i was in Florida a few years ago during Halloween the local kids came round and sang songs or told rhymes to entertain. they wore masks and carried lanterns, a lot of time and effort was spent preparing. Am i being an old grump or are things the same round your way?

No you're not being grumpy ,round here they start coming round at the begining of October and do nothing except put their hands out.( We tend to go to the wifes mothers and hide on halloween cos she lives miles away from the scrounging Scouse b***ards and they can't be bothered to walk that far)

As per usual, I've got candy in 'just in case' We live out in the wilds, no street lights, so unless the kids get driven to me, they don't come. The one year I didn't bother buying candy, a boy about 10 knocked on the door, a total stranger. I said 'where did you come from?' he said he was deer hunting with his dad [pointing to his dad on the road in a pickup truck]. I had to raid my pantry to find him something [boring] to eat. Most likely nobody will come again, and we'll have to eat the candy ourselves, what a rotten job!

I had bloke tonight knock on the door with a pit-bull........... granted it was dressed as a pirate .

Now that's what I call 'a time for giving'.

There's only solution to trick or treating isn't there - GO TO THE PUB.

;) The pub is a great idea, well it would be if I didn’t go there on Wednesdays but I do most Wednesday’s evenings.

Where I use to live I had many callers on Halloween night, one year I started ignoring them for the simple reason there was so many, and that’s when the trouble started.

Eggs and flour use to be thrown at my door, you can imagine the mess so the next year I wrote out a notice telling any would be caller they wouldn’t get any answer if they knocked. Since posting the notice up I don’t anymore get the mess, so this year I have done the same.

The notice says ‘Please No Trick or Treaters Thank you, which has worked so far for the new address. But then again it might have something to do with the notice tied to the electrified fence surrounding my property, which says ‘Beware’ Death, by electrocution Possible.

Bip. :tease:

Just 3 knocks last night (before we went out (me to watch the footie in the pub and have a game of snooker) SWMBO to her mothers) ignored them all apart from the one who was standing there when I opened up to get the kids in the car, I appologised explaining that we were just about to go out 'trick or treating' ourselves

;) The pub is a great idea, well it would be if I didn’t go there on Wednesdays but I do most Wednesday’s evenings.

Where I use to live I had many callers on Halloween night, one year I started ignoring them for the simple reason there was so many, and that’s when the trouble started.

Eggs and flour use to be thrown at my door, you can imagine the mess so the next year I wrote out a notice telling any would be caller they wouldn’t get any answer if they knocked. Since posting the notice up I don’t anymore get the mess, so this year I have done the same.

The notice says ‘Please No Trick or Treaters Thank you, which has worked so far for the new address. But then again it might have something to do with the notice tied to the electrified fence surrounding my property, which says ‘Beware’ Death, by electrocution Possible.

'Round 'ere, if you aren't going to be home it is common just to leave a big bowl of candy by the front door with a note asking them to just take a couple. Amazingly, it works, and most folks come home finding there is still a half bowl of candy left!

'Round 'ere, if you aren't going to be home it is common just to leave a big bowl of candy by the front door with a note asking them to just take a couple. Amazingly, it works, and most folks come home finding there is still a half bowl of candy left!

Round 'ere you would be lucky if the little sh*ts had left the bowl behind

• 6 years later...

noblueHALLOWEEN....The season of the witch.

What do you do if you meet a witch? By all accounts the best way to keep yourself safe

is to give her all she asks of you. If you are not prepared to do this, then a simple way to

avoid her casting a spell on you is to spit in her face. But only if you think she is looking at

you in a funny way.

All the Black Lace and Black Balloons are in place. The Ghostly Skellibobs with lit up Sculls are propped up in the Shrubs. The Windows are adorned with the most Horrible of Horribleness. The porch is lit up with Pumpkins and trays of Goodies. The most scariest of CD's is filling the drive with terror and fearfull noises. Werewolf grunts, helpless screams. Hidious unearthly sounds. It is called 60 Minutes of Horror Sounds. It is very very scary.. Just off to eat my Beans on Toast before all the neighbours bring the Children round. Just an ordinary evening again. :biggrin:

We have just had the first callers. Aaaah I don't know if they were exited or Terrified.

• Upvote 1

We don't get bothered, in a very rural location, and my drive is over half a mile long.

I left Blighty in 1979 and had never heard of halloween celebrations, other than odd American shows on TV showing it. Never once did I recall anyone knocking on my door "trick or treating" When did this all start in Blighty???

It's not something that we knew as Children. My Children were at School untill the 1980s and they didn't celebrate it either. When the Children first started to make some thing of Halloween here in England, I was against it. I always thought it was an American celebration and I didn't like it. Over the years I have mellowed a bit and now we really enjoy seeing the effort a lot of Mums put into the Costumes. Our local families always have a laugh at our house, and so far we have never had any problems from the local Teenagers. Halloween is one of those things that some people like and some don't. When we didn't join in, it was easy to deter people, we just put the front lights off and didn't answer the door.

We have just had our 4th group of Teenagers and they are so impressed with our effort. It's just a bit of fun to us.

Just found some little packets of haribo horror mix jelly sweets in the cupboard from last year . Do you think ghouls and witches are affected by sweets with a sell by date of 2013 ?

• Upvote 3

In the eighties we were staying with our friend in Culver City, Los Angeles - he was at work this evening - when there was a knock on the door. On opening it there were two kids - with their parents standing back. 'Trick or Treat' they timidly cried. This was all new to us and we were unprepared. I hurriedly searched for a treat and finished up handing over my roll of Polo mints.

I'd enjoy myself with repacking laxative chocolate, snigger....