Christmas Presents, What you really wanted?

Interesting, Lizzie.  Our nearest Costco is in Atlanta so we tend not to drive over there and are not members.  I wonder how much they were?  The undertakers charge way too much.  When my late wife died I bought a very basic one.  We had agreed on that years before. It was still over a $1000.00.   and that was eighteen years ago.  If you can get one now for a fair price it's maybe not a bad idea.  Often I think our attitude to death is way too tense.  It is as normal as birth and awaits us all.  I really don't care if they bury me in a cardboard box when the time comes.  The undertakers have too much of a monopoly here.  It's like hearing aids. Outrageous prices for a bit of technology that is not much more complicated than an earbud.   $3000.00 for a twenty dollar unit.  I don't think so. :(

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few years ago we were left a fair amount of money (all gone now though). We paid a one off fee just over £7000, for both of our funerals, cars, services, Flowers, songs  the lot. All the kids have t

How fascinating ....... a thread about unwanted Christmas presents turns into the the cost of funerals!  However, I’m thinking of my good old Dad as he would have been 96 today, but been gone nea

I bought missen me own present this morning. The DVD of It's a Wonderful Life'. But, I hear you all say,  haven't you seen it fifty thousand million times, and haven't you got the VHS tape of it. Well

LL I have to agree with your thought's on coffins, to me it is just waste disposal, so here is an idea, green bin for general waste, brown bin for garden waste, grey bin for recycling and black bin for the dead......

I have left strict instructions that not a penny more than is absolutely necessary is to be spent when I die.

• Like 2

Undertakers around here will charge £80 to convey the ashes from the crematorium to their premises for you to collect. Considering they are in & out of the crematorium every day they have made a nice little earner.

The price of wreaths, flowers from a florist is scandalous.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I want a big wake everybody weeping and whineing, and generally distraught, f me ive been good to so many, lol

• Like 1

I've attended three funerals over the last three years, and have another this coming Friday, and I must say that French 's in Bulwell next to Tesco's do very reasonable wreaths, bouquets and sprays. Something to suit everyone's taste and pocket.

How fascinating ....... a thread about unwanted Christmas presents turns into the the cost of funerals! 

However, I’m thinking of my good old Dad as he would have been 96 today, but been gone nearly 5 years now.  God bless him, he was a good un and always there for me, brought me up to be respectful and he loved me unconditionally. 

I remember Ann Swaby and David W helped me an enormous amount when trying to sort out information I needed for his headstone at Wilford Hill.   Forever in your debt you two. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

If anyone has any qualms about the cost of their own funeral, then the simple answer is to take out a savings scheme with the Funeral Directors, or a small insurance policy. I did recently, and mine will be paid for next summer.

• Like 1

Whiskas,  Brekkies and the odd saucer of milk..... I don't think that'd work Lizzie. 

• Like 2

Like you say Fly you have to make arrangements to avoid a burden on your family, it's not the cost aspect of things with me, more I see it as a waste of money.

Even the last two vans I bought a Vivaro and this year a Renault were a nice shade of black, I have used vans all my life so may as well go to the crem in one.

Lizzie please be careful what you wish for as long as you are healthy was a couple of ounces

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mine is just to alleviate the family having to fund my disposal. I'm definitely not bothered about oak caskets and suchlike. An old wicker basket would do me.

A few years ago we were left a fair amount of money (all gone now though). We paid a one off fee just over £7000, for both of our funerals, cars, services, Flowers, songs  the lot. All the kids have to do is make a phone call to start the ball rolling and all we have to do is leave a bit of cash around for the folks to have a party. No graves, we want to blow in the wind. Instructions left for when the last one of us goes, and the place of scattering is a location in Ingoldmells, the kids know where. Top secret in case of gate crashers. Death does not worry me, it's the bit before it that I don't fancy much. No point in worrying to much, it's as we say part of life, and no amount of money can stop it.. So Nottstalgians, Live, Love Laugh and be Happy.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Did  someone not  say a while ago mention one thing (coffins in my case) and a whole new subject pops up, that's why this site is so interesting and diverse. Lets all make sure it continues.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

I want a big wake everybody weeping and whineing, and generally distraught, f me ive been good to so many, lol

Don't worry Ben.  All us Nottstalgians wiil say nice things about yer.  I'd even come over from Ga if somebody pays me fare.  :biggrin:. But wait!!!   You might outlive all of us.  :Shock:

i've a plot already bought and paid for in Canada.  Next to me first wife.  Hope they don't forget and bury somebody else there.  They'd have to bury me next to somebody else.  Lovely topic to start the new year.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, loppylugs said:

It was still over a $1000.00.     $3000.00 for a twenty dollar unit.

Not on subject, I know, but it always makes me smile at the American habit, when writing a large a financial number, to add the cents, even if there are none.

• Like 1

Never really thought about that much, Dave.  I assume it is to avoid any possible confusion about the actual total.  That decimal point can make a big difference.

Re. cut rate boxes.  I did a web search on it and I was amazed about how many are into this.  Wal Mart, Costco, Sams Club.  Not to mention lots of independents.  All promising free next day delivery.  Don't suppose that matters much to the one that needs it. ;)

Found lots of cut price hearing aids too.  Ain't technology great! :biggrin: