Whats this tunnel for..??

Who said opening manholes is illegal :P Been doing it since I was 16, arrested more times then I care to remember - never once charged (not that I got an apology for wrongful arrest either!)

Tresspass is a civil not criminal, its to do with the land owners not the police. So long as you don't cause damage accessing a site and you do not have intent to steal or vandalise then there

is no charge. Just a shame that you don't get a given a chance to explain that to the police till your in the station!

Back on topic - Its going to be a bit of a mission to get down into the tunnels themselves, its a fair drop from the surface and the ladder in place looks a million years old, might have to rig up

some ropes and abseil it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you imagine the elf & safety requirements to go down there nowadays. Lamps + emergency lamps, safety ropes + emergency safety ropes, hi vis jackets and trousers, hard hats, gas detectors and

Under the Shakespeare Street Police HQ was 3 levels of caves. The fire brigade had a key and I explored them a couple of times. The Civil defence had an emergency HQ , WW2 era, and there was  a joint

Also whilst I'm at it, does anyone know what this is;

NottsVent.jpg

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=58688

It looks remarkably similar to vents at the Birmingham Anchor or Manchester Guardian (massive underground spaces with telephone exchanges etc)

anchor5.jpg

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/b/birmingham_anchor_exchange/index.html

However then Anchor is far further below the surface then Nottingham's service tunnels.

On 25/05/2011 at 4:33 PM, Beefsteak said:

If you scroll back a few pages, you'll see a reply and an invitation that I recieved from the bloke in charge at the time, this was three years back and things may have altered now but there is a phone number there to contact the head honcho.

I thought that was just to look at the drawings? Which as of March 2011 are in the hands of the Nottinghamshire Archives, which I am going to view on Friday. It didn't say he would actually take you down the tunnels did he? Or am I just loosing my mind :P

I didn't speak to him, but reading between the lines at the time I didn't think he would need much persuasion.

Went to the archives on Friday, veeeerrryyy interesting stuff indeed- These service tunnels ARE all separate, they don't connect anything to anything. I have some plans I will upload when I get a chance, but they just contain a couple of water pipes that go to buildings on each side of the street, and a central trough for drainage that

links on to the sewer network. All of them are also accessed via various manholes.

Hello all,just read this with interest. I used to go in the subways' on King and Queen street as part of my work with Severn Trent Water. I think we used to access it via a grid somewhere near the building which used to be the Post Office in the 1960's,near where the two streets connect. I think there was a short permanent vertical ladder. We used to take a gas detector with us as a safety precaution.

On one occasion we isolated a service pipe down there,believing it to be redundant. Shortly after,there was a sound of sirens and fire engines. We climbed to the surface to find two fire appliances,several firemen and a load of people who had been evacuated from a building. There was no fire- by turning off their water supply,it had triggered an automated emergency call to the fire sevice!

• Upvote 1

Welcome Tricky - and thanks for the post. Take a look around, you will find all sorts of good stuff here - and a chance to meet some of the guilty for a pint or two from time-to-time!

• 2 years later...

Hi all.a year or so ago they were repairing the drains on upper parliament street if anyone can recall...they closed the path down from corals .right outside the elite building(where the bingo was many moons ago)...well i watched the workmen and there was a big hole, about 30 foot down there was a door what looked like it led to a tunnel....this could of led to the main subway under King and Queens street....i asked one of the workmen where it led but he never gave me a proper explanation........i would love to go down there but going the right way about it and approach the council...im guessing the subways would be flooded and rats everywhere........if anyone from the council reads this thread please invite me to investigate them as well as other lost passageways in my hometown of Nottingham.

Go on The Sheriff of Nottingham,Surprise me.

Andy....born and bred in Nottingham Fourty six years ago.

I did some work in the kitchen of the Vienna Cafe (behind cluffy - I don't know what it's called now) and there was a hell of a lot of cellars and underground passageways. Given that this used to be the Prudential Insurance building, why would they need so many underground things.

Can you imagine the elf & safety requirements to go down there nowadays.

Lamps + emergency lamps, safety ropes + emergency safety ropes, hi vis jackets and trousers, hard hats, gas detectors and a certificate saying you are competent to use it.

The list would be endless.

Colin

• Upvote 2

That Prudential Insurance building mentioned by Bilbraborn fascinated me as a kid, or rather what was (1) in one of the windows and (2) on the wall did , both facing the no.36 bus stop on Queens St, 1) For years there was a poster with a coloured image guess a painted illustration of a house on fire, flames licking out the windows, a fire engine outside plus firemen with hoses etc and as I recall a worried rescued family looking on! and of course some blurb re fire insurance, Wasn't that I was a would be arsonist or anything! just had never seen a fire at that time, was about aged 5 when I first saw it, the other thing 2) about 10 ft from the ground was some metal plate, this I was told dated from a time when there was no council or whatever fire service but insurance companies had their own fire tender which they'd send along to a fire so long as the property had their plaque on the wall, no plaque, no turn out! or if wrong company plaque assume they let it burn to the ground? however seeing as this took place in pre telephone era by time you'd got a horse drawn tram to queen st, to report it and they'd sent a horse drawn engine to Basford wouldn't be a deal left anyway! No idea if that plaque was original from those days or just another advertising type of thing

When I was young growing up in Langar, there was a rumour that there was a nuclear bunker and stores under the old airfield, and it was abandoned with the entrance filled in with concrete, when the Canadians moved out.

Us local kids searched high and low trying to find it, but all we found was one smallish building with thick walls, and a brand new rough freshly laid concrete floor, with fresh concrete splashes on the walls,

• 5 years later...

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Access to the Council House.

There is access under the Council House. There's a sub-station down there and loading facilities for the shops. As far as I can remember there is no access other than the lift which the council now control.

We played in the big tunnel under Bunny hill. It's bricked up now but back then there were steel doors that hung open. The old Bren Gun carriers that were scattered about and the abundance of Bluebells were a big attraction. A narrow gauge rail line leads into it and we were told it was for the ammunition stored there. Whether that was true of just a tale to frighten us into staying out I don't know.

Being 10yrs old and it being a military site there was of course the requisite complement of Germans hiding down there plus possible dead bodies.

Under the Shakespeare Street Police HQ was 3 levels of caves. The fire brigade had a key and I explored them a couple of times. The Civil defence had an emergency HQ , WW2 era, and there was  a joint Police/Forensic science firing range where they fired guns for ballistic checks. Somewhere on the internet is a layout drawing.

There was still stuff written on the walls from use as shelters during WW2 including male and female toilets with the Elsan buckets still there ! 

When I worked at Chalfont drive we were aware there was a "secret " nuclear bunker under there. I believe the whole site has now been cleared.

The tunnels described under the streets sound fascinating, I'd be down there with you all !

• Like 2

There is a myriad of tunnels under Nottingham university, used mainly for services from the boiler house to the university. The boilerman there said there were about 7 miles of tunnels in total. I never got to find out though, perhaps someone on here might know more!!

• Like 2