Last night we spent 20 mins at the annual Pupil MOT.

Alls fine with our girl except 2 areas.

There are three levels

P = Praise

S = Satisfactory

C = Concern.

2 Areas showed C's!

This being because the teachers had not yet assessed the work?

The headmaster had instructed the teachers where the work would not be completed prior

to the yearly report, that area of the work must be endorsed 'Concern'?

Now this is our girls final report before leaving for 6th form? and she has 2 'Concerns' on that report.

Even her form teacher does not agree with it.

She appears to be judged by the performance of the school in preparing her end of term report, prior to

completion of the years work.

I don't generally have a lot of time for modern teachers. I feel that many of our Youth problems today, begin in the schools.

Most of our teachers were diciplinarians, and thank god they were.

What do you think.

Are we too soft today?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our son is a teacher and we are very proud of him. He was a punk rocker and went off the rails sometimes. We always supported him and welcomed his mates at home and they showed us a lot of respect. He

Well my son is a teacher and he has had to go in as usual. He teaches 'difficult' children who have 'difficult' parents and homes. He has to physically restrain pupils at times.  A lot of teacher

Some interesting posts here! I recall an occasion when a boy was excluded as a result of a serious incident.  The next day his parents brought him into school saying that the school should look a

I don't generally have a lot of time for modern teachers. I feel that many of our Youth problems today, begin in the schools.

I think many of our youth problems today begin in the home. It's not for teachers to do the parent's job which oft case they are clearly not doing.

Don't get me started! Being married to an Educator, I can tell you there is plenty of blame to go around, but the abrogation of responsibility for children by some parents plays a BIG part.

In Michigan they even tried to make schools responsible for childrens dental hygene!

In my day, if I got into trouble at school, I daren't tell my parents - 'cause I would be in even more trouble. You have no idea how often parents defend their children, despite the facts, these days.

I will say that in Mick's case, it appears the school is not doing it's job properly - but watch out for the teacher's union too!

Indifferent parenting, badly behaved pupils or weak teachers terrified of disciplinary/legal action?

Which came first the chicken, or the two eggs?

Suggest the batting order was:

Parenting

Children

Teachers

Cheers

Robt P.

Standing in front of forty kids where an ability in crowd control is the prime requisite is very difficult! Very few teachers I worked with are 'weak', rather they have no strengths, they are not empowered. I guess they are an easy target in the modern-day blame culture we depressingly have these days.

I have experienced (often female) colleagues attacked, gone to A & E with concussion and suspected fractures. I have seen teachers being spat on, punched, kicked, head-butted, stolen from, their cars/property damaged or stolen. I have seen them being threatened with being sued on a daily basis. This is only a small sample of the some of the things I have witnessed when working in education.

Being threatened with being expelled is precisely what some kids enjoy - they don't want to go to school.

When I was at school I didn't need a teacher to make me behave, it was implicitly understood that my parents expected this. Teachers are there to teach, not to correct all of society's self-created problems. Parents need to take more responsibility for the behaviour of their children, not expect teachers to do the job they should be doing when it is often too late.

I have no experiance of modern day teaching methods, both my children were taught in the eighties and both have grown up to be responsible adults.

I have said this many times in the past....whatever happens in the skools in America will eventually happen here, normal takes ten years to show itself but these days it's happening right before ones eyes.

In certain skools they now search the kids before they enter the skool the yanks have been doing this in certain skools for many years.

A few wacks on the back side wouldn't go a miss these days from what I have heard and read from what goes on in skool today, never did me any harm, builds charactor if you ask me, good job the teachers that dished it out in those days are dead now.

And for telling your perents that you had been caned, you never did for the fear of getting some more.

So that's why my education was crap...I spent all lessons waiting outside of the head master door.

Bip.

And for telling your parents that you had been caned, you never did for the fear of getting some more.

My dad always said that if I came home complaining I had been caned - he would cane me twice more: Once because I must have deserved the first one, and second for complaining about it!

When Mary was a school Principal (Head), I told her she should have all sorts of instruments of torture on her wall - cat o'nine tails, thumbscrews, canes, straps etc. When a kid was obviously guilty but proclaiming innocence, she should gaze at the implements trying to decide which one suited the crime!

Surely though a teacher is "IN LOCO PERENTIS" or at least they were in my junior school days. If you did wrong you got the slipper (As has been mentioned elsewhere, you daren't tell your dad because you'd have got another) I don't remember any girls getting it though. Another thought ,the ones who regularly got the slipper were the ones who grew up to be slobs and 'baduns' in later life.

As for senior school you still got the cane but it had to be pretty serious, I got it once for 'being out of bounds'. They couldn't cane you for smoking, believe it or not ,but we were off of school premises during school time ,when the teachers are "IN LOCO PERENTIS" and therefore responsible for us, so we 'got done' for having a fag up the back alley. Fnarr Fnarr

Surely though a teacher is "IN LOCO PERENTIS" or at least they were in my junior school days. If you did wrong you got the slipper (As has been mentioned elsewhere, you daren't tell your dad because you'd have got another) I don't remember any girls getting it though. Another thought ,the ones who regularly got the slipper were the ones who grew up to be slobs and 'baduns' in later life.

As for senior school you still got the cane but it had to be pretty serious, I got it once for 'being out of bounds'. They couldn't cane you for smoking, believe it or not ,but we were off of school premises during school time ,when the teachers are "IN LOCO PERENTIS" and therefore responsible for us, so we 'got done' for having a fag up the back alley. Fnarr Fnarr

Rightly or wrongly you can't slipper or cane kids nowadays, Ian. In such circumstances as we have now, what do you suggest the teachers should do?

I suggest a change in the law, in that in certain circumstances ,a bad kid be taken out of school and forced to work with the terminally ill (ie a cancer hospice or a nursing home full of Alzheimer's sufferers, like where SWMBO works) and shock their systems that way, if they fail to turn up ,fine their parents. Thats what I say.

Rightly or wrongly you can't slipper or cane kids nowadays, Ian. In such circumstances as we have now, what do you suggest the teachers should do?

Easy - TAZER!

• 8 years later...

Our girls' lesbian games teacher was married to our sadist boys' game teacher - or so they said.  Both of them had a reputation for their presence in the showers to ensure that their respective pupils took a proper shower.

At least we only had to bear them for a couple of weeks at a time - the remainder of the year was school holidays! :)

Some interesting posts here!

I recall an occasion when a boy was excluded as a result of a serious incident.  The next day his parents brought him into school saying that the school should look after him as they had arranged to go out for the day and could not do so!  It is sad that some parents view school as a free childminding service.

I have just been reading the Portland School thread. I was happy there but looking back I think less was expected of us academically then.  Now academy school management regard children as packages of data to boost the school position in the league tables. Emphasis is on progress not love of learning.  If government invested in reducing class sizes in reception and years 1 and 2 so every child got more personal attention enabling them to read, write and calculate there would be less problems later when older children cannot access the curriculum as expected.  Thinking back to my time at Portland, the only bad memory is of being in a class of about 40, queuing up at the teacher's desk so she could hear me read.  Every time I got near the front she stopped hearing people read and we had to sit down so I could not move onto the next book.  Frustration!  My parents encouraged me to read with library membership.  I also borrowed books from the school library and Portland had quite a good one.  Parenting is key.

• Upvote 4

Ive said before,i must have been lucky at Padstow sec.Modern,...........liked all the Teachers,even them that gave me a whack from time to time with 'Strap' Cane or 'Slipper'..........just looked at Class Photo that Catfan kindly put on for me (in Bestwood Estate thread) and looking at the rest of my class,can honestly say liked em all...........the Teachers on there were Miss Parkinson form 2A  Lovely Lady and Mr Bond the headmaster,giant of a man........firm but fair...............happy days..............

• Upvote 2

I think I was fortunate, too, as I liked most of my teachers at C le W very much, others I liked a little, and there was only one I had problems with (I think I was to blame too, as I probably made her job difficult sometimes!!)

Just remembered.).........there were two Teachers who did'nt like me,.......both Woodwork Teachers,.Mr England and Mr Harris,think it was because i was really Crap at Woodwork (still would be).............and if they read this.......also sorry for what i did in your Tea-pots.................lol.

• Upvote 1