Sign in to follow this  
mick2me

Cafes around the Old Market Square

Foodies are the most boring people on the planet, or so I find, along with people who are obsessed with money and possessions. As long as I have sufficient of both to get by, I can't see the point in drooling over them.

• Like 4

Jill, I understand where you are coming from on foodies and I have to agree with you , but didn't you use to have a passion years ago for visiting the Pythagoras Tearoom on Gregory Boulevard.

Indeed I did not, young Trogg!

Despite the triangular sandwiches a certain demented Irish maths teacher used to draw on the board, whilst droning on about trigger and Al Gebra, the Pytagoras Tearoom was not somewhere I had any wish to visit. Ever. I think it also offered pie...which flavour I never did manage to establish. Too busy dodging the chalk missiles!

• Like 3

1964, Bridlemith Gate Coffee House..nottmpix-099.jpgLeft of Pepper St...moved to newer premises across the way...Tokenhouse Yard.

• Like 1

My Gran worked there in the late 50`s and early 60`s and I used to spend the occasional day there during school holidays.

Your picture of the inside of the Buol cafe reminded me of a similar Victorian/Edwardian cafe we visited near Pontycyslite North Wales

Mrs P near the fire place after spilling her tea on a nicely ironed table cloth  (can't take her anywhere)

Wales_2012_pt2_(26).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Love the fire surround with its overmantle and the cornice. Elegance and workmanship not found today!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not forgetting the highly polished creaky wooden floorboards

Rog

Edited to add: the coffee and walnut cake was to die for

• Upvote 1