Empire, Windmill and other Cafes

Anyone Remember the Windmill Cafe?

There was a windmill outside it for many years, Even after it became a Chinese Restaurant (name?)

Is the windmill still there, if not when did it go?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You put your finger on it Phil.   I was not trying to be snotty in the posts above, just responding to what I see as blanket putdowns that serve no useful purposes but to increase animosity.  Lord kno

Each to their own Phil.  So long as they don’t try to push religion down my throat it doesn’t worry me.   I was christened and went to church and Sunday School til I was about 7, I was married in a ch

Don't worry Lizzie I don't have religion.  That can be boring.  I have faith, which isn't boring, I'm constantly learning.  I'm not going to push it down your or anyone else's throat though and defini

Oposite and facing the Odeon Cinema.

Above what is now a burger or fried chicken bar.

Up that Narrow Alley leading to Rob's Record Mart?

Did it become the Kong Nam - if it was, I've been there but only in it's Chinese manifestation and normally after several pints on a Saturday night!

• 7 years later...

The Kong Nam,ran by Mr. K Sin,a gentleman.so many films seen followed by a feed in here.

Dogs of War.The Shining. Scum..to name a few.

The Lite Bite (Turners?) wasn't bad for a break when buying wayfinders and Aztecs.

Anyone Remember the Windmill Cafe? There was a windmill outside it for many years, Even after it became a Chinese Restaurant (name?)

I don't remember it and it's difficult to find it on a photo; you can just see the name here.

windmill_1.jpg

There were quite a few cafes and restaurants around the Square which have disappeared.

Lyons is the one with the two triangular pediments.

lyons1_1.jpg

Kings was on Beastmarket Hill.

kings.jpg

And the Savoy was on South Parade.

savoy1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Yep,  jonab..by the mid to late 1980's they were going...the dreaded Gastro Pub was arriving...with vastly overwritten menus..with Catering College trained slogans such as:

Freshly Brewed Tea.

Hand Tied Sausages.

And other such price connected waffle and piffle.

Problem is the cheese would be locally and 'organically sourced' the butter

'churned fresh and hand patted'...the bread..'rustic' of course and other such tosh.

Forgot the place on Vic Mkt near me T.shirt shop...cheap and cheerful.

Foodies are the most boring people on the planet, or so I find, along with people who are obsessed with money and possessions. As long as I have sufficient of both to get by, I can't see the point in drooling over them.

• Like 4

Jill, I understand where you are coming from on foodies and I have to agree with you , but didn't you use to have a passion years ago for visiting the Pythagoras Tearoom on Gregory Boulevard.

Indeed I did not, young Trogg!

Despite the triangular sandwiches a certain demented Irish maths teacher used to draw on the board, whilst droning on about trigger and Al Gebra, the Pytagoras Tearoom was not somewhere I had any wish to visit. Ever. I think it also offered pie...which flavour I never did manage to establish. Too busy dodging the chalk missiles!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Your picture of the inside of the Buol cafe reminded me of a similar Victorian/Edwardian cafe we visited near Pontycyslite North Wales

Mrs P near the fire place after spilling her tea on a nicely ironed table cloth  (can't take her anywhere)

Wales_2012_pt2_(26).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Not forgetting the highly polished creaky wooden floorboards

Rog

Edited to add: the coffee and walnut cake was to die for

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

The Pepper MIll, ,had forgotten that place, very trendy place up a passage. Thanks Ian, great memory of some rather delightful girls who were often in there. !970 ?

• Like 1

Total opposite to my other favorite café - Bobs' Elbow Caff, up Mansfield road, real grub, real people. Preferred  the cuties in the Peppermill though !

• Like 2

I also have memories of the Elbow Caff on Mansfield Road - excellent if you wanted a real gut-buster of a dinner. Nothing namby-pamby there, unlike the Pepper Mill which was for more genteel occasions.

Also the Empire Caff on Burton St. - opposite the Newton Building. On a par with the Elbow, I think.

• Like 1