Come on then what did Santa bring you for Crimbo ?

Mum and Auntie spoilt me this Christmas with lots of lovely presents some I had asked for and some of their own, one of theirs was a google home !!!!   No idea where they thought that one up or even bought it, at a guess on-line, if I had the courage would throw their tablets in the bin.  Regarding white hair we all have it myself since my early 50s, never thought about dying it, couple of years ago I tried a purple/grey wash out rinse I looked like a witch, no comments please.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best present possible...we've managed to rescue a young female cat from a breeder who treated her appallingly. 8 litters in the last 2 or 3 years. She's thin as a shoelace, tatty, covered in fleas

I got a 'Painting by Numbers', a Rupert Annual, chocolate Santa and an orange, really happy!  

What a lovely relaxing Christmas Day, for the first time in 68yrs I have had my Christmas Dinner in a Pub. A very nice experience I must say, delicious food and no pots to wash after. It is very much

28 minutes ago, MargieH said:

This should be in the topic 'you learn something new every day'.   I never knew this was the reason for the 'blue rinse' 

That reminded me of being a lad of 18,,, serving a crowd of (shall we say older ladies) every friday early doors at the Railway club,,,regular 'blue rinse brigade'' we called em..........lovely crowd and dead cheeky......nearly led me astray...........but couple of my Aunts were among em........lol

• Like 1
13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My hair’s almost snow white   (I bet that’s spoiled your illusion). Should I try Grecian 2000?

NO. NO. As it washes out it goes a funny greenish colour. Keep your white hair, you'll look younger smile2

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Would it work if you used a dolly blue bag, before putting your head in a dolly tub and giving it a good ponch?

Don't know but you could try it. 

I was born in Barrow in Furness but we moved to Nottingham but we always went back to Barrow for our school holidays. There were no m/ ways so had to pass local and main roads . At one point the grass , roads and buildings were starting to change to a greeny blue gradually getting very blue. Us kids thought it was lovely and sort of magical but it was only the " blue works " ( where they made dolly blue) at....can't even remember the name but to us we knew we were near our destination and the end of a boring journey. Its one of the things that stands out in my mind when I see the colour blue. ( and its my favourite colour) a little further on we used to look out for the Hoad on top of the hill at Ulveston.   Sorry I'm drifting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I went grey at 40. Stressful job. I know lots of people of my vintage with dark hair but it looks very odd. I often see the Grecian 2000 tanker going down our lane. Maybe it’s for the sheep?

Maybe its sheep dip. Yes dark hair on the older generation ( me amongst them) does look odd. Look at the eyebrows. The colour of the hair as you get older is better if you want to colour it is to go lighter even if it doesnt cover all the white.

Pavarotti was an example of what not to do, wonderful person but ended up looking like a clown. 

11 hours ago, Brew said:

I didnt I knew ask Mary too we were both hairdressers. I did many of them and my nail varnish on my left hand was always blue.

7 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Yes dark hair on the older generation ( me amongst them) does look odd. Look at the eyebrows. The colour of the hair as you get older is better if you want to colour it is to go lighter even if it doesnt cover all the hair

Oops!    (But my eyebrows are still naturally very dark)

14 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Oops!    (But my eyebrows are still naturally very dark)

Yes they usually take longer to go grey but the colour of them is toned to your natural colour. I was really thinking when people colour their hair to say black or very dark brown and their eyebrows are paler they look odd so often they colour them too. 

My hair is about 50% white but my eyebrows are dark with some white hairs. I used to dread going grey but I love it now. 

nonna, I remember the Reckitts ultramarine factory being near their main manufacturing plant in Hull. Does that fit in with your memories?

Ultramarine is the main component of dolly blue and is also an artists pigment and has very many other uses where a stable blue or violet colour is required.

1 minute ago, jonab said:

nonna, I remember the Reckitts ultramarine factory being near their main manufacturing plant in Hull. Does that fit in with your memories?

Ultramarine is the main component of dolly blue and is also an artists pigment and has very many other uses where a stable blue or violet colour is required.

No dont think so Jonab. It was somewhere around the lake district, cant remember before or after. But homework for today ....I'll find out

Since I had my very long hair and beard cut a few months ago it has changed from a dull grey to a, how shall we say, Santa Claus white. That's NOT because it wasn't clean before cutting, I am very scrupulous about things like that.

My eyebrows are white now, as well. They must have faded in sympathy. Eyelashes are grey(ish), not very visible now but they are there!

Jonab are you sure your not turning into an albino yeti ? Was on a short cruise once and met an american couple on our table. It was like looking at a pair of cadavers !! Both well into eighties and yet jet black hair and painted on eyebrows, skin pulled as tight as a drum, even to slight rouge tint. Man and wife looked like waxworks. We thought that they may be a double act. Scared us though !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't think I'm being Yetified, just growing old(er).

Regarding those walking cadavers, that seems typical of many of the old US tourists that we see here - the men wearing Rupert Bear trousers and their wives in party frocks more suited to a young Shirley Temple.

• Like 1

I’m sure one of our experts can confirm (or contradict) this, but I once read that it’s not really accurate to say your hair’s turning grey/white, because what’s actually happening is that it’s returning to its natural state.

In its basic state hair is white, but in your younger days there is an amount of colouring which makes it brown or black or whatever.

As you get older, that colouring fades away, so you’re left with grey/white, which is what everyone starts with.

But, Cliff, how many babies have you seen being born with grey or white hair?   Two of ours were born with lots of black hair, and one with blond hair.     But I agree, our hair colour does lose its pigment/fade as we get older... no idea what colour mine would be at the moment... perhaps I should shave it all off for charity and see what grows back.     Lol.     

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

But, Cliff, how many babies have you seen being born with grey or white hair?     

...as well as being born with thin, wispy hair which hardly has any colour. So I think you've probably disproved the theory - and wherever I read the piece had just invented the idea.

I'll stick to just watching my own gradually change colour.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'll stick to just watching my own gradually change colour.

When men's hair gets a bit grey, it just makes them look distinguished!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1