Name The Coffee Bar

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anyone remember the L shaped room coffee bar on Goldsmith street? I also remember 'Sutch' as he was usually to be found in the market square with all the Mods. I really do think we had the best of

I thought you'd listen to my reason but now I see, you don't hear a thing,try to make you see, how it's got to be, yes it's all, all or nothiny yeah yeah, all or nothing all or nothing, for me, I nev

I think it was Maxines' that was a Vegetarian cafe,............took my Dad in and he asked for a sausage Cob........after telling him 'No Dad,its a Vegetarian Cafe'..............he said 'ok,i'll have

getting in holiday mode Loppy...............

Trying me new Bathers on................

• Upvote 2

Re Sutch, he was quite a character, as well as hanging out with the Mods in the Square, he was a regular with the Rockers at the

White Hart in the mid '60's. He had a spell with the Hippies, spending a summer (1966?) sleeping in the sandhills at Skeggy. Later he

was lead singer with 'Mothers Ruin', a rock band with White Hart connections.

Does anyone know what became of him? I would imagine he would be successful in whatever he chose to do.

Another character was Dave Staples, a member of the Aces motor cycle club and a regular at the Toreador in the early 60's. He was a fine dancer, winning competitions at the Locarno I think it was. He was on TV in the final of a nationwide jiving contest. Anyone know what became of him?

Loved the L coffee bar,it gave us somewhere to go, couldn't go in the pubs as dad was a licencee and I would have been in big trouble if caught drinking underage

• Upvote 2

I was chatting with my son the other day and he asked if the Palace Coffeehouse is still going? It was just off Parliament Street, when Safeways was there. It was taken over by Wilkos but not sure what it is now. Anyway I used to take him in the Palace of a Saturday morning, and because the staff could never understand the concept of a 'threat' of milk I would buy a black tea and a glass of milk for my son. Then I would take half a teaspoon out of the milk for my tea, and take the milk back to the counter and ask for some milk shake syrup adding.

We also used to frequent the Gingham Kitchen, it was the first café I remember to have those sachets of artificial sweetener on the tables! Did it become Maxine's or was that further along Parliament Street?

Loved the L coffee bar,it gave us somewhere to go, couldn't go in the pubs as dad was a licencee and I would have been in big trouble if caught drinking underage

It was one of the places to be ............ I spent so many happy hours there during the day into the night and through the early morning.

I lived and loved locally ...............

I guess we might have known one another then ............

There were different groups/cliques that gathered.

I do remember a Val she was a nurse and came in with a clutch of nurses that all lived up in Mapperley Park somewhere.

'L' Shape...Mapperley Park...nurses...parties...

Hearing of a party,yours truly and a mate loaded our minis with fellow nutters from the 'L' and high tailed it up Mapperley...he went one route and I went another...We met at the junction of Magdala And Lucknow Ave....unfortunately from different directions and neither of us stopped in time. I bent the front end of mine and he bent his...

Mother was not amused...it was her mini. :unsure:

Put a bit of a dampener on the party that did.

• Upvote 2
  • 7 months later...

Small chinks of memories often come 'through' about being a City kid in the 60's .

Tess's cafe on Derby Road was my haunt... mainly because I practically lived in Dr. Haworth's waiting room on the Ropewalk.

Those plastic oranges bobbing about in the juice machine...signs urging you to Drinka Pinta of milk...or those Horlicks mugs with no hole in the handle.

The Granary on Hurts Yard was a real treat..as I recall the Arty Fartys sat in there.

The ladies serving in The Peppermill..I thought were all gorgeous!.. and a coffee and cheese scone in whitewashed brick surroundings with Tom Rush in the background.. was about as far from the ABC minors as i could get!

Two places in Trinity Sq weren't bad..i found a quid once...and handed it in ( true!!)...no one claimed it- treated me Ma to double egg & chips.

The Empire was a little grubby but I think i even people - watched then!

Didn't like Cappouchis., the woman had cold black eyes..probably behind English barbed wire for the duration.

Central Market..amongst the shouting and smells of fish and flowers was a small cafe..the urn hissed and steamed and the white crockery could be heard clanking as far back as the huge weighing scale near Joyce's.

A mug of tea and a Yo Yo biscuit.. then into the fish market...whilst my Mother chewed on whelks..I begged for a new Commander Comic...as i said small chinks!

Kind of envy you, growing up in the city, it was a rare occasion I ever went there as a kid. Mam hated it, so it was off the 22 bus at Hanley St, into the back of the big Co-op and buy what was needed and back on the bus. But, I did have a next door neighbour for a few years, who loved the town. She had a daughter same age as me and would take us both down town at night, to just window shop. I loved it, never bought anything or went in a cafe as far as I remember, but I was happy to just look in the brightly lit shop windows. Ah, the simple life. 

• Upvote 1

You've got a bleddy good memory for when you were a seven year old Ian. I can't remember what I did last week. 

I remember when I had a Saturday job at Halfords on South Parade, I used a Cappouchis nearby and always for lunch had a pineapple cream tart and a mug of Horlicks. I could never get used to no hole in the handle. It was a bit dicey if it was very hot, or your fingers were wet !