• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

IMMIC the guy arrested was alleged to have had a stash of IRA equipment buried where the GCR crossed Wilford Lane. 1990 at a guess.

John Kinsella, sentenced to twenty years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/man-led-police-to-explosives-semtex-and-guns-found-at-allotment-ira-bomb-trial-told-1400747.html#tabs-1-2

Mick, re Manvers street papershop, the owner in the late 60's when I was apprentice in the garage on Sneinton road was a Mr Spurgeon not sure of the spelling, He was the first person in Nottingham to have the new Ford Capri 1600L and it came to our garage for all it's servicing

Rog

Yes - Barton's 7A via Mapperley Plains, Lambley, Woodborough, Calverton, or 8 straight up Mansfield Road and right along B6386. Barton's never had any Lodekka's (Bristol commercials were part of the British Transport Commission and for many years could only be bought by BTC companies). Almost anything else in Barton's very varied (but Leyland dominated) fleet might find its way onto the 7A or 8. However the Mansfield District Traction 215 went that through Oxton on its way to Southwell, leaving via Colwick, Burton Joyce and Lowdham, and was usually run with Bristol Lodekkas.

That name is now familiar to me. Do you know what his lads first name was? ......Mick, his name was Jim

I'm sure someone here will remember the bus from South Parade to Bridgford; I think the name was Finney.,

I only rode on one once; from somewhere near Wilford Hill, into town.

The guy took my money but said he couldn't give me a ticket; going round corners my seat moved, It was just getting

dark so the interior lights were on, but they seemed to go off and on determined by the bumps in the road. It was like some Goose Fair ride; a cross between the waltzer & ghost train. The most worrying thing though was the smell of burning rubber coming up from somewhere. I was glad to get off.

There's still a number 7 bus that pretty well still does that:

http://www.premiereb....1 - Centre.pdf

So there is. In Bartons days the 7 went on from Calverton to Epperstone.

Very few NCT routes survive with their old route numbers. From memory, only the 17, 25 and 53 are recognisably similar to the 1950s, though not all exactly the same (17 used to go up Ventnor Rise and Heathfield Road, and terminate at Carey Road; 53 only ran between Valley Road and Dunkirk). The new circuitous 40 also incorporates the "Wells Road/Kildare Road" end of the old 40 trolleybus, but I think it was some other number for a while.

I think whoever is posting that stuff on FB is reading this forum - the photos that appear often strongly echo the current "hot" topics here! Not complaining just sayin... but would the poster please identify him/her self?

• Upvote 1

I think whoever is posting that stuff on FB is reading this forum - the photos that appear often strongly echo the current "hot" topics here! Not complaining just sayin... but would the poster please identify him/her self?

That photo of the trolleybus comes from this site http://www.trolleybus.net/index3.htm

And........is there a link here to the Facebook page?

well i cannot tell a lie but it is me who posts a lot of the photos on the nottingham facebook page - im glad you enjoy my uploads and i also enjoy the forums here too with the memories and and stories

oh and it was my brother who restored the emett water clock too

That name is now familiar to me. Do you know what his lads first name was? ......Mick, his name was Jim

Jim Spurgeon, that sounds right thanks. He was an apprentice at the Coop when I was.

I remember that shop on the right, called Modelia. There was a dress I liked in the window and went inside to try it on. The saleslady almost met me coming in the door, which annoyed me, then asked what size 'modom' was. I said sometimes 10, sometimes 12, depends on the brand. She haughtily said, 'and what size is modom today?' The little snot!