A bit late - but better late than never. Yes, we celebrated Thanksgiving on this side of the pond last Thursday. Mary and I went to New Hampshire to spend the holiday with my son, his fiance, and her family. Had a great time, and ate too much (as usual). It was a long drive, with lousy weather all the way there, but traffic wasn't too bad. Left for home on Saturday afternoon, which was a gorgeous day, and drove through southern Vermont through the mountains - it was spectacular. Spent the night in Ithaca, New York, and made the rest of the trip (through Canada) yesterday.

So a belated "Happy Thanksgiving" to all the Nottstalgians over here - and I hope you all survived "Black Friday"! (We spent the day in Ogunquit, Maine!)

Thanksgiving is something that did not arrive here yet, unlike Halloween!

I spoke to a girl from Philadelphia at a meeting the other day.

We discussed the possibility of it arriving here.

"Only after you burn the effigy of a disliked person on a bonfire,

on November 5th, President politician, what have you?"

I said.

You'd have to decide when the first settlement in Britain took place first Mick.

Australia has Australia Day to celebrate independence from Britain.

Maybe make St Georges Day a public holiday??

We've got a society here (Who now you've mentioned it haven't contacted me for a while , I must look into it!! ) who keep lobbying parliament to get us St Georges day as a national (well English at least) bank holiday . and moving May day till Trafalger day (October) , thus spreading them out a bit.

• 4 years later...

Oh Lord Almighty, don't let Chulla see this or his inhaler will be in overdrive ! 

• Upvote 1

No, if it was Chulla, his glasses would be steamed up, and his forehead perspiring profusely. ... Only joking!

• Upvote 1

#7. Cor!!!! Fishnet stockings. Is he trying it out in the Ann Summers car park before he decided to buy?

Did a few stints in 'Ann Summers' shops..........you'd be amazed what some blokes nicked in them.........and what they were wearing at the time.........lol.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I bet they weren't wearing liberty bodices:wacko:!  

Since the liberty bodice was mentioned in a thread sometime ago it keeps popping up in various threads, we all seem to be getting obsessed with it. Never a very comfortable item to wear but it did keep your chest warm.  However  a little off subject I decided to make some for my miniature dolls think they must have struck a cord as they sell well.  Thanks for the idea.

• Upvote 1

#15. So Benji, you worked in Ann Summers. Bet you remember the price of jars of lubricating creams and joss sticks.slywink

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

I can't believe that Black Friday stretches to over three weeks. Sheer lunacy ! All in the name of greed, avarice, oneupmanship and utter stupidity. If I see something I like, then I get it. Sod the time of the year ! 

Nice one to end the day on Michael.

• Like 1