World cup winning night 1966 " What were you doing?"

baby sitting for my sister, boaring but then again might have had one of my boyfriends with me but if so he not that memerible, hazelford ferry on the other hand has some good memories for me had quite a good dj used to go down there quite often.

Hazelford ferry with a girl from the TSB first date

I spent my life savings on that girl ........12/6 that i had to draw out of the bank she worked at ,It got me a gallon of petrol & a couple of drinks
  • 1 month later...

Watched it at the G/F's house, then probably went out for a beer or two with her.

• 2 months later...

I was 16 and we lived on Radford Road, New Basford. Watched the match on TV with my Dad, who's a rabid Scot, never supported England. Match kicked off at 3, and by the time extra time and presentations had been done it was about 5.30, which in those days was evening opening time for pubs. So my Dad, never one to let his nationality stand in the way of a booze-up, decided to go to the pub across the road (forgotten its name) where the festivities he figured would be riotous. We thought we'd not see him for hours. He came back 30 minutes later saying, "Bloody English, don't know how to enjoy themselves -- they're more interested in their dominos."

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Sorry this is a repeat of one of my first posts in the clubs thread .

On the Saturday of the match was working at GEM . The management opened the community room upstairs for customers to watch the match . Alex Owen who had the electrical concession in the store went to a lot of trouble and set up a bank of TVs and lots of chairs were provided.

Fabulous.......only one problem ..........there weren't any customers , nobody came out ! Tumbleweed drifted through the store so a complete waste of time .

On the Saturday night was DJ at the Stamford Hotel in erm Stamford . Whichever band were playing that night in Stamford , came back to my brothers house in Woodborough Road and slept in a spare room as they were playing at the Boat ,( I think ) Sunday evening.

Had my first Chinese meal ever on Milton Street with the band Sunday lunch and then we all went to the Dungeon on Sunday afternoon and we watched a replay of the match on their TV upstairs .

Can't remember which band they were unfortunately but it was a Geno Washington / Jimmy James type band ,

• Upvote 1

Drank much Blackberry vinegar ?.............

Sorry couldn't resist it

Sorry this is a repeat of one of my first posts in the clubs thread .

On the Saturday of the match was working at GEM . The management opened the community room upstairs for customers to watch the match . Alex Owen who had the electrical concession in the store went to a lot of trouble and set up a bank of TVs and lots of chairs were provided.

Fabulous.......only one problem ..........there weren't any customers , nobody came out ! Tumbleweed drifted through the store so a complete waste of time .

On the Saturday night was DJ at the Stamford Hotel in erm Stamford . Whichever band were playing that night in Stamford , came back to my brothers house in Woodborough Road and slept in a spare room as they were playing at the Boat ,( I think ) Sunday evening.

Had my first Chinese meal ever on Milton Street with the band Sunday lunch and then we all went to the Dungeon on Sunday afternoon and we watched a replay of the match on their TV upstairs .

Can't remember which band they were unfortunately but it was a Geno Washington / Jimmy James type band ,

My dad was the service manager for Alex Owen at the time of the 1966 world cup he was based at Station Road Beeston.
  • 7 months later...

Watched it at home with my dad and then attended a party on Gawthorne St where I got a bit inebriated. I was 16.

We started off drinking Shippos Nut Brown before pinching a bottle of sherry from the hosts drinks cabinet. How daring were we?

A memorable night. Bit like VE day I imagine when every girl you met that night was up for a kiss and cuddle.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

I know exactly where we were. In London on our first holiday. We went out to find somewhere to eat - we went on the tube to Piccadilly Circus. On coming out of the station the place was packed solid with people waiting for the victorious team's coach bringing them back from Wembley. We waited for some time but gave up in the end.