Is there owt goin off in Notts like rowing or watersports ,I remember there was a place in Holme Pierpoint is it still active.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The technical coverage of the Rio games is brilliant but I just wish the stupid talking heads would stop calling them heroes. They just happen to be able to run, jump, kick, hit, throw or stand still

I thought that the Olympics was marvellous despite the green diving pool and the threats of Zika virus etc. So many moments to be proud of our athletes and yes, I agree, they are not heroes just very

A Shark alarm at Bondi Beach in Sydney� sent everyone rushing from the water �except for three young boys who didn�'t hear the siren. Onlookers were horrified to see a dorsal fin moving fast towards t

Yes, Holme Pierrepont still exists and it still attracts canoeists and people who throw themselves around in mini-rapids; (and it's a nice place to just wander around and look at a bit of scenery) but it isn't being used for the Olympics.

As usual, London and the Home Counties are seen as the centre of everything, and all those kind of events are being held at Eton Dorney in Buckinghamshire. I'll bet nobody outside Bucks has ever heard of the place.

Sorry, call me a miserable so and so, but I'm not really interested in the Olympics.............until the women's beach volleyball starts that is!!!

As the great Eric Morecambe would say: WAAHHHEEEYYYY!!

• Upvote 1

Having managed throughout my life never to have seen My Fair Lady,The Sound of Music,Mary Poppins,or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Avoiding this lot will be a doddle.

You miserable lot, the Olympics is such an occasion whether you like sport or not.......

Why is it? A lot of crowds which I hate at the best of times...politicians on an ego trip...and enough money wasted to make it unnecessary for the Ad I just saw on the box begging for £3 a month to save the lives of kids in this country with leukemia.

I'm sure the poor sods living in abject poverty in shanty towns in Brazil will appreciate it more than me in four years time.

I mentioned giving money to help children with leukemia, during the heady days of 'Liz's jubbly'.

Five pence given.out of every pound created during the games, would go a heck of a long way in helping with this problem.

Who takes all the profit?.

No doubt when the games are long gone, politicians will announce the UK was left with' X millions in debt.

So they will raise the tax on , booze, fags, petrol,and anything else they can get away with.

• Upvote 1

I see there are still a lot of tickets available at 2000+ pounds about $3000 in our money

And i quess the airlines are going to rape you to get there.

I do think you will come out winning at those prices.

Ps. Watched the GB team footey last night not bad but fell apart in the second half.

Well it is a "City" event, ie "The London Olympics" like years back "The Melbourne Olympics" or "Rome Olympics".

Has Nottingham ever put their name forward for the Olympics???

I lost interest in the Olympic Games when they went professional, took all the glory out of it for me, plus all the stupid "none" sports they added over the last few decades.

I can see a day when they add dominoes, chess and draughts as sports.....sigh....

Why is it? A lot of crowds which I hate at the best of times...politicians on an ego trip...and enough money wasted to make it unnecessary for the Ad I just saw on the box begging for £3 a month to save the lives of kids in this country with leukemia.

My thoughts exactly... Lets spend Billions on the Olympic dream whilst ignoring Kids with leukemia , People needing drugs /treatment for cancer, pensioners needing help 365 days a year and a myriad of other WORTHY causes ... just lets have the Games to further our 'Standing' in Europe and the wider world, whilst our politicians stuff themselves at the trough with expenses and anything else they can grab.

Meanwhile the great unwashed ( you and me ) take in everything the BBC tells us... how we are all soooooo looking forward to these Games, and how we should be honoured to be holding them in 'our' country.

I couldn't give a ******* about sport. But by all means have these sporting events for those who like them...But why do they always have to cost billions?

Most countries have arenas and sportsfields galore...why do they have to build brand new ones for just a fortnights use.

It's become just a load of one upmanship.The money could be better spent.

Sports were invented to replace wars and prove we could outdo you, now it's grown to show we can spend more money than you ....LOL

I think one of the conditions of hosting the Olympic games, and the World Cup, should be, you have to prove that no taxpayers money shall be spent anywhere, stadiums, road/rail upgrades, and it must all come from sponsors.....

Sun is shining on you ,All the happy faces , I think you need something to cheer you lot up.

I like the competition & dont mind the pro sportsmen/women i want to see the best.

Looking forward to the bare breasted mud wrestling, and the baked bean bikini snorkling might be interesting.

Pity the Wet T Shirt competition was scrapped due to the hosepipe ban.

c2ccfec2.jpg

Wow! I may have been cynical regarding the Olympics, but, what an opening ceremony!! Danny Boyle should get a Knighthood for it in my opinion. The Industrial Revolution did it for me....the satanic mills were magnificent! The musical journey from the 60's to the present day was another highlight.

It may have meant a lot to the English, but I doubt it meant anything to any other countries viewing.

Imagine watching a similar cultural history display from Spain Japan or other such countries!

Why not just light the torch and get on with the games.

Spin and Hype!

Oh yes, the money that was spent on the NHS display would have been better spent on the NHS.

What was that all about?

Hmmm the Industrial revolution, a blot on society when kids as young as 5 worked underground in coal mines for many many hours, children on the loom floors of the mills falling asleep for lack of rest and getting maimed and killed....Something to remind the world how proud we Brits are about our heritage.... LOL

• Upvote 1

I agree, but at least it was corrected a long time before it was in other countries so we should be proud of our heritage. The lads in the South Derbyshire coalfield were (rightly) proud of the fact that women never worked underground in their pits! When I was about eight, I played Lord Shaftsbury in a school play - he was a huge advocate for eliminating child labor in the mills and mines - in the mid 1800's!

Still a blot on our past, or rather the aristocracy's past. I think it was the the Duke of Newcastle who banned women from working underground at his mines before any law was introduced and children under a certain age too. Problems were, he caused extreme hardship for those families, pity he didn't pay more to his employees.

Difficult one this.

The Duke of Newcastle among others were "Coal owners" the mining companies payed him(them) so much a ton for any coal dug.

It was the colliery owners that payed "Butties"(foremen) and it was they who paid the colliers.

The price of coal changed according to the markets but the money payed to the Duke was constant.

So if the price of coal was low the pit owner/managers so did the colliers.

For further information.

History of Nottingham Miners(vol 1) by Alan R Griffin.

The land these Dukes owned is unbelievable...everywhere you turn in Notts and Derbys the land was owned by one or the other of them.No wonder they're still stinking rich to this day.Even Nottingham Castle is not owned by us...it's leased for 500 years from the Duke of Newcastle and his heirs.