• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are my two females being fed every night, Helga and Mimi. Hopefully Helga after her antics last week will bring some prickle babies.     

Just been investigating some very loud hedgehog grunting by my shed and there are 2 hedgehogs presumably going through the rutting procedure. Have left them to it and left more food out in case they n

They are so darn cute, but apparently full of fleas. Well that's what folks used to say.

:biggrin:Notty ash, LizzieM, you are lucky people to be privileged with hedgehogs in your garden; I have to make do with a scupture of one in my conservatory. Here's hoping ............................

Jackson, we'd not seen a hedgehog for more than 20 years, apart from spotting one on the road along from our house a few months ago. We lived down south before coming back to Nottingham 9 years ago and in a wood at the bottom of our garden at the previous house we had badger setts and always assumed, like Darkazana says, that badgers eat hedgehogs and in all those years at that house we never once spotted one. It was lovely to have the badgers around although we never saw them except if we got up in the night when we'd see and hear them romping about on the lawn. We also had Muntjac deer in the wood ........ oh and a pair of wallabies !!

Had one running around in a large circle for about an hour like it was trying to beat its personal best! When I saw the fox I decided it was a good time to save him. I took him to my back garden n fed him some catfood that he scoffed not even caring I was sat next to him! Next door said they have a few living under their shed, and one lives down the side of my outhouse that the other half saw one evening. But iv never seen them in the garden personally, apparently they're good to have around, they eat all the slugs and snails :)

• 2 weeks later...

The baby hedgehog turns out to be two!

This one was out hunting around 2pm in the back garden.

HH1_zpsb551bcd1.jpg

When I returned from shopping an hour later, this one was in the front garden, at the side of the house

HH2_zps01990e88.jpg

I saw another one from the kitchen window. I thought this was the same one, out back - but quickly checked and the one in the front garden was still there......

I got up really close - I think I even got a smile ;)

HH3_zpsa2b0cbd8.jpg

• Upvote 2

My neighbours in Ethiopia had a family of Mongoose living under their house. They were a bit like big hedgehogs. They came out at night and played on my lawn. I have a photo somewhere in the dark recesses of the attic. I might try and dig it out.

We have a badger sett in next door's garden, so do not have any hedgehogs around. We see he badgers regularly during the night which is great, but they let themselves down by digging up the lawn!

Lack of hedgehogs also means that we are plagued with slugs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Have just put some more food out for my hedgehogs, there’s a lot of activity out there tonight!

• Like 1

This morning I was walking around Newark and stopped on the market to pick up the usual bags of wild bird food and I notice on the shelf was bags labelled "Hedgehog food", never seen that before so next week I'll pick a bag up and try it out on the ones in my garden

Rog

Thanks Jill, I'll stick to the usual then

Rog

Mine have “Symply” dry chicken cat food along with a dish of water and seem quite happy. They shouldn’t have anything fish based apparently or milk. I remember as kids we used to give them a saucer of milk with bread - very bad for them we are now told. 

• Like 1

Apparently hedgehogs are quite tasty. Back in the 50s we often had genuine travellers/gypsies camp near the end of our village and they told us that after dispatching the little critters and gutting them then covering them in clay and baking them in a fire. The spines come off with the skin along with the clay. Apparently, hedgehog stew is quite popular too.

It is illegal to domesticate them in the UK but it is not illegal to eat them. in January 2023 some travellers in Belgium were fined 1,600 Euro for eating them.

Before anyone arcs up, Guinea Pigs or Cuy are bred specifically for human consumption in Bolivia, Columbia Ecuador and Peru

• Like 1

Hedgehogs are listed on schedule 6 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981), which makes it illegal to kill or capture them with certain methods.

Humans, on the other hand, are highly edible. Apparently, they taste like pork. I'm a vegetarian and have far too much respect for animals to eat them but if anyone wants to eat their fellow man, that's fine by me. After all,  man seems to subject his fellow man to just about every other indignity and cruelty he can think of, so why not eat him?  It was, for many years, rumoured that Captain James Cook RN was eaten by the Hawaiian Islanders but that is not true. They merely cooked (no pun intended) him until the flesh separated from his bones. Their culture attributed magical powers to bones. I don't doubt that the flesh was gobbled up by other creatures who were looking for a meal. Waste not, want not.

23 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

if anyone wants to eat their fellow man, that's fine by me.

And if it's you that's on the menu?       ;)

• Like 1

Just been investigating some very loud hedgehog grunting by my shed and there are 2 hedgehogs presumably going through the rutting procedure. Have left them to it and left more food out in case they need some sustenance!  Bless them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Hedgehogs

"Rutting procedure" priceless, Notts folk never cease to amaze me with their quirky sayings, bless you Mrs B

Rog

Rog, it went on for a couple of hours with the male circling the female grunting. I thought it was the chuffing of the steam train at Great Central when I first heard it !

They ended up under my barbeque after he went there first  and she followed so I guess she finally gave in. He’ll be off now with no interest in the bringing up of the babies.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MRS B said:

Rog, it went on for a couple of hours with the male circling the female grunting. I thought it was the chuffing of the steam train at Great Central when I first heard it !

They ended up under my barbeque after he went there first  and she followed so I guess she finally gave in. He’ll be off now with no interest in the bringing up of the babies.

A few humans settle for a cigarette after (you know what) but from what you say hogs have a BBQ, could that be called a celebration of his/hers success? the mind boggles

Rog