So to counterbalance the `thugs' how`s about `terrific teachers'?

The one I can bring to mind was a man called Phillips at the Nottingham and District Tech. He was a natural. Amazing gift of communication and ability to teach (physics). I think he was head hunted to the High School. There is no doubt that without him I would never have got through.There was some real dross at Mundella ,cannot think of one really good one except Titus Thorpe and he had been `at it ' for 40 years. If one comes to mind later I will add.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a lovely post Margie about a very fair, caring and lovely man. He never taught me but he was Deputy Head by the time I started at C-Le-W.   My favourite though was Fred Lee who took us for

My favourite teacher at Carlton-le-Willows was Mr C N Bates, who taught me French and German.  He was a really good teacher and was also my form teacher for 3 years.  I think he really cared about us

Heard the Mundella kids talking about Daddy Dakin, as I mentioned in another thread I went out with a girl from Mundella, but dare not tell my Trent Bridge schoolmates as I didn't want the rack or duf

Jan Viggers - brilliant english lit teacher at Annie Holgate Grammar..... really made everything come alive.

Terry Hobson was a fantastic teacher of Biology and science in general. Always quick to make it funny if you didn't understand it and lighten up the situation, and as mentioned in the other thread Mr Judge, he had the reputation for being a beast (LOL) but he was another great teacher, always quick with little puns to help remember things (EG when we did about the Crusades he always referred to Saladin as 'old lettuce and tomatoes' Salad in , get it? )

The only down side to him teaching you was that with him being deputy head he wasn't always available to teach, so we had substitute teachers on their 'free' periods, who knew next to nothing about the subject we were currently studying. !

J.B. Simons, Art teacher and brilliant cartographer of illustrated county maps.

He used to draw them during lessons and sell them.

Probably was responsible for my interest in old maps.

Sadly I have never been able to locate any of his work.

JB Simons - Nottstalgia Nottingham Forums

I had Stan Middleton for English one year at High Pavement (1960s). Everyone liked him (which couldn't be said about all the teachers) because of his sense of fun - although he allowed no nonsense. And although we weren't so much aware of it at the time, due him not writing children's fiction, it was pretty good being taught by a published author. I don't know if his books are still in print, but they were quite popular at one time.

Then there was Eric Shepherd for Geography who was full of entertaining anecdotes, with a rather dry sense of humour. For instance he would ask a question of the class and try and elicit a response; 'How about one of you strong, silent Englishmen on the back row?' He was also noted for his old cars (old even for the mid-60s) which he came to school in - a pre-war 'baby Austin' and a similar-vintage larger car - can't remember if it was another Austin or a Morris. If he was going past a bus stop and seeing High Pavement boys waiting he would usually stop and give you a lift.

That reminds me of a Chemistry teacher we had (although his name escapes me) who would normally instruct the class: 'Right, gentlemen, what we do is this...' That gave him the opportunity, if there was any general rowdiness or misbehavious going on to come out deflatingly with: 'All right, children...'

One of the most effective teachers I remember was Mr Wass, who came from People's College in about 1965 and who I had for French in O Level year. He did away completely with the easy French to English translation exercises we'd been used to (where you could use guesswork for half of it), and with him it was exclusively English to French - much harder to get right, and it meant you had to really learn it. I can't remember if he was another Stan or not - we used to call him 'Wassimodo' for reasons which I won't go into here. In fact there's scope for a whole thread devoted to the nicknames of teachers at High Pavement in the 1960s!

In my first year at Chandos there was a teacher by the name of Curtain. (Spelling?) he taught metalwork and math. He always took the time to show you individually how to tackle a problem with useful suggestions about how to handle it in the future. Never heard him raise his voice or physically whack anybody but he always got things done. He left after my first year. Maybe he couldn't stand the place either. In my short time there I saw several of the better teachers move on.

its funny but different pupils see teachers in a different light we had a teacher mrs hoorver who i got on with really well even went to her ouse for meals some times her husband was american and always said he was related to president hooverdont know if this was correct or not . but i know that kat hated her but liked the teacher i hated mrs collier.

Good point, Babs. We tend to naturally like or dislike some people. They probably pick up on those vibes and tend to respond to us in the same way, thus we get the so called "teachers pets." Or the kids the teacher always seems to be down on.

I am currently taking organ lessons. I always liked my teacher, he's a great guy and really knows his stuff. He is also very demanding and doesn't let me get away with sloppy technique. When I was younger I probably would not have liked this and probably not liked him. As it is I want to do well and try hard to do what he says and do my practice each week. Of course the fact that I am paying for my lessons probably motivates as well.

Fairham Comp. Clifton: Good (if not plain excellent) teachers were Frank Mulaney, maths; Bill Chapman, French; Dennis Allen, English; Eric Bates, Chemistry. The latter was a sod if crossed, but a very good teacher. All 1959-66

Fairham Comp. Clifton: Good (if not plain excellent) teachers were Frank Mulaney, maths; Bill Chapman, French; Dennis Allen, English; Eric Bates, Chemistry. The latter was a sod if crossed, but a very good teacher. All 1959-66

Small world. I was also taught by three of those four (Dennis Allen being the only I didn't experience).

When I was there Mullaney was Deputy Head but still doing some teaching. He and Bill Chapman both left by the end of my first year.

Went to the John Player School Bilborough, left in 1972. Will always remember two amazing teachers, maths teacher Harry Terry and the English teacher, Jack 'Nobby' Aucland although I did get the cane off him on more than once!

I remember Nobby Auckland. He was our Form Master and English teacher and he was, I think, a good teacher and a fair man who would though use the cane when necessary, having first adjusted the joint on his leg calliper. I can see him now swinging his right leg around the left hand corner in the corridor between the Staff room and the library.

My time at Player School Senior Boys was 1956-60 so Nobby was there a long time. Does anyone remember Mr.Briggs the Maths teacher? If you were part of his 'experiment' which lasted for the first six months of our time in the Senior school I doubt that you will ever forget the ruthless, terrifying way he pursued his aim of instilling eight subjects in maths to the level that he thought was possible and which the other members of the Education Committee, on which he sat, did not. He was right and they were wrong but I have mental scars from those months and perhaps Derek Singleton still has the marks on his back from when he was slammed against the classroom door with such force by Mr.Briggs for not getting the right answer.

Prior to the Senior School my time in the Juniors is remembered fondly. Mr.Rutherford our Form Master is someone I remember with great affection.

Miss (or was it Mrs,) Slack at Trent Bridge juniors. I had a disrupted education (moved schools a lot in house moves) & could hardly read when I went to her class, she taught me to read in only a few months & I ended up getting a prize for progress at the end of term. Mind you she caned me a few time but I forgive her, (I probably deserved it.) Thank you Miss (or Mrs) Slack...

Mrs Jewel, my history teacher at Rushcliffe school, West Bridgford late 70's, inspired me. She taught the subject with such passion.

I was at TB juniors 1963-1966.

I went to TB juniors (on & off) from 1960-64 when I went up to TB seniors. Between the ages of 5 & 9 I went to schools in Gotham, Aldercar & Ebeneezer st Langley Mill, Beeston, Chester-le-street & Colllygate & TB juniors in the Meadows. As I said we moved a lot..

Colly0410

It was Miss Slack and yes she was a hard disciplinarian.

You were at TB Juniors and Seniors at the same time as me, possibly same classes

1b, 2m2 3m1, I think.

Same Class as Satish Bidi, Ken Henstock, Mick Jennings etc.

See http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162#entry159242

post-8-1099403421.jpg

The only explanation I can think of is, it appeared twice and 2 admin/mods decided to delete one of them, but both did it at the same time! Other than that, I haven't a clue.

Robert Clemmit, I put a post on here to welcome you to Nottstalgia but someone decided to delete it. Maybe they could explain why this happened.

I wrote a short answer on a topic a few minutes ago but it vanished before appearing on the page. I reckon its the CIA and MI5.
  • Upvote 1

MOSSAD.......LOL

Mick2me,

I was in the B classes at TB juniors & when I went to seniors in sept 1964 I was in 1M4, 2M4, 3M4, 4M4 & 4M2, I then went to Beardall St in Hucknall when we moved to Bestwood Village (april 68). I remember Mick Jennings & Ken Henstock, I also recognise Jacky Dodson (lived next door but one to me), Jacky Woodward & Christine Goldingay in the photo

The classes 1a and 1b were the 1st year class 1a was the cream.

2M1 was (M)ixed 2nd year top class. I think I was in 4M1 then stayed on for 5th year.