Ghost Advertising Signs

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now on show bottom of Hockley now that Berlins/Uncle Sams/Woolworth? been bashed down.

This old sign has reappeared after being covered for years by an advertising hoarding. It’s on a wall at the bottom end of Forest Road West, near the junction with Alfreton Road. It’s pointing to Skil

Today Arnold Road Old Basford   

Posted Images

Has the 'Brough Superior' signing gone off that roof on Vernon Road yet?

Col

Came across a really really old one in Bulwell main street this morning........it read.......OFFILL?? ALE HAVE YOU TRIED??, It was in a gap high on a wall between the 'Cash shop' and 'Wetherspoons,.............just wondered if it was for 'Offillers gold label ale' which i vaguely recall..............

Nice one catfan.............just love coming across old signs,.....all the years ive walked passed and never noticed.............

The pair of you are no doubt too focussed on the front door of Wethies!!

Col

• Upvote 2

Just love coming across these old signs,real Nostalga in every one,.......like to think of all our departed relatives who also gazed up at em,.....especially like the old Marsdens ones,a few of which Cliff-ton has unearthed for us............was wondering if the big one in Bulwell will re-appear one day,as I noticed while sat waiting for the wife in the card shop,that the old plaster covering it has started to flake away.............

• 1 month later...

I am sure that was the corner where Marsdens was corner of Melrose street 60s,............great bloke the Manager Sid Howard,one of Wingates Chin-dits.............

• 1 month later...

Came across another old sign this morning on Derby rd Eastwood,might be wrong but it looks fairly recently exposed again 'OLIVETTES' Garage'

• 4 months later...
On 31/01/2015 at 8:11 PM, Scriv said:

One sign that always used to interest me was visible for many years when travelling from Nottingham Midland station in the Loughborough direction. It read, "Furniss Bros. Hog Salesmen"; don't know if it's still there, I always assumed it was some sort of livestock business associated with the Cattle Market.

Can anyone shed any light on it, and does it still exist?

Two years after the original question.............I don't think the sign is still there, but I recently came across this - I guess from the 1980s - and it shows half of the sign.

furniss1_zpszcnycg8s.jpg

5 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Two years after the original question.............I don't think the sign is still there, but I recently came across this - I guess from the 1980s - and it shows half of the sign.

Welcome back CT . I had to do maps 'n stuff whilst you were away ! Not my forte !

Furniss would appear to have been a Nottingham based firm , appears there was a pig farm connected to the operation at Gotham too , so Loughborough is a logical place to trade from .

This , from 1942 shows hog dealing must have been quite profitable !

33529497456_6645e95e0c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was never a trainspotter but I know the area you mean. The lines coming in from the Beeston side are a fraction of what they used to be.

The area now known as Castle Marina - with housing and shops - was  full of railway sidings and goods yards which have all gone.  Closer to the station, the old goods buildings near Carrington Street have been demolished and replaced by the Magistrates Court and other legal places.

.....and the railway advert currently on TV says that "....Britain runs on rails." - Pah! stuff and nonsense. Britain no longer has sufficient rail capacity to get even close to running on rails, thanks to everyone's friend, Dr Beeching.

• Upvote 3

More like going off the rails. I love train travel but is becoming too expensive for the ordinary public to use. When will the powers that be realise this ? Probably when it's all too late.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

I must admit that I'm not normally one to advocate the nationalisation of businesses or industries, but in the case of the railways, I deem it to be perfectly justified. Since privitisation, the services have been deplorable throughout the entire country. Nowadays, I very rarely travel by train as they're invariably cramped, dirty and expensive, especially if you want to travel on the spur of the moment. 

Other than the line to London, the through trains to other areas are infrequent, poor connections, and as different operating companies are involved, the staff are unhelpful and unknowledgable of anything other than their own patch.

Until privatisation, I regularly travelled by train, but now I prefer to drive.

In days gone by, the line through Nottm Vic was renowned for the traveller to go anywhere. North, South, East or West. It was even advertised as 'Anywhere North, to anywhere South'. 

There was once even an Aberdeen-Penzance through service ! Nowadays...... Hopeless ! No one gives a toss about the paying public .

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...