Importance of getting your spelling correct

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ultimately it's the content which is more important than the means of getting there. I'd sooner read something interesting which may not be grammatically perfect, rather than something perfect which

Eye have a spelling chequer, It came with my Pea Sea. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss Steaks I can knot sea. Eye strike the quays and type a whirred And weight four it two say Weather eye am wr

Don't you think all this talk about spelling and punctuation might put some people of posting. Life is to short.

I have no issue with people who can't spell. There maybe one or two different reasons such as dyslexia. I remember a supervisor I had on the railway who was of Jamaican origin. He was a great bloke but could not spell. One day someone stole his willies from the top of his locker and so he left a huge note for all to read. It was as follows:-

TO THE PERSON WHO STOLE MY WALLENTONS. I HOPE HE GET FOOT ROT LIKE WOT I GOT.

We all had hysterics and like the nice man he was, he saw the funny side.

I have problems with the way people speak. Adults who talk about their bruvva, Those who say they were in hospickal. It just makes me cringe.

• Upvote 3

Surely though, don't all computer browsers now have a spell checker built in ?

I'm by no means the perfect punctuation or spelling person, but even on here I get a red underline under a word if I spell it wrongly.

It's like using capitals to start a sentence, and breaking them into easily readable paragraphs, and ending with a full stop.

It's not really hard is it.

'Tis Sues' (hat) surely...your version says Sue is

I'd say that is wrong for being Sue's hat. The apostrophe after Sue - as in Sues' - means it would be the hat of several people called Sue. I think Chulla's version is correct.

The apostrophe can either indicate possessive - as in Sue's hat, the hat belonging to Sue - or it can be an abbreviation such as Sue's going home - Sue is going home.

When I worked at Nottm Patent Brick in 1968, there was a young lad who was a bit dim. One day he fell out with the foreman.

The following day on the toilet wall, this appeared. ' teh foreman is a cutn'

This amused me as he spelt the hardest word correctly, but the first and last which were the easiest, he got wrong. Amazing !!!

• Upvote 1

Thenks !!!!!

• Upvote 2

#40 FLY2

'' When I worked at Nottm Patent Brick in 1968, there was a young lad who was a bit dim. One day he fell out with the foreman.
The following day on the toilet wall, this appeared. ' teh foreman is a cutn' "

If the lad fell out with him, why did he call him a cutie? :huh:

For those of you who cannot grasp where and when to put an apostrophe, read this book and learn, and have a laugh at the same time. The example on the cover shows how important they are.

a0404737-975d-4e4c-bdbf-00866a0a2d45_zps

• Upvote 3

You don't need to Lizzie, you're spelling and punctuation are impeccable.

One error in three years is superb.

Yesssssssss !!!!!!'