• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember Jean Metcalfe being on Family Favourites but not Pete Murray (#24). In the summertime my Mum would sit on the back doorstep, listening to Family Favourites as she shelled the peas for o

Ive been looking at the section of the forum about areas of Nottingham. Could I request that Hyson Green is added to it? Either as part of the Radford section or one of its own? Hyson Green was where

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

The Sunday after the meet,following a night of libation in the rotunda and a Luguna feast, I set off on a morning walk (9.30) Alfreton Rd to Zulu Rd. seemed very run down.Walking down Peveril St.,opposite Ortzen St.on the left- I spotted white glazed brickwork and a second storey jib protruding from the building- wonder what the place originally was? It is a motorcycle garage now.Onward down Radford Rd just past what was Alberta Stores- on the left is Hyson St.above an old cream painted pub,was a permanent engraved sign which read:' John Robinsons Noted Ales'. Adjacent to the old Playland directly opposite St.Paul's Ave, I spotted 20 or more non- nationals outside the Job centre... and even more inside!! Fair play to them- this was Sunday morning at 9.30 am!! Walked on,Rose's shoes is now a bookies; onto Berridge Rd Central- spotted a pre Queen Elizabeth post box. Up onto Gladstone St. then past Thorn Emi and was shocked to see the Guy Birkin factory in ruins.hopped the gate and took some snaps of what looked like tack rooms,strolled past what was Gold & Dunne- onto Albany Rd.and Beech Ave..took a photo of a weed covered Elm Tree pub..Dennis the old pianist would turn in his grave!! Worked my way to Exeter Rd.- across the Forest..down Waverley St. and home via Cromwell st.A much deserved pint in Dowling's and home to a full roast and the match...a great hangover cure!!

Your post brought back memories for me Ian, you mentioned Gold & Dunn furnishes on Beech Avenue, many years ago a spotty faced seventeen year old Catfan worked there !

Truly the best job I ever had in my life too, great bosses, Maurice Gold & Ben Dunn. After they relocated to new premised at castle marina they very got in to financial difficulties & closed down. Their old premises were rebuilt & Brantano Shoes moved there.

Happy memories !

• Like 1

#55, Catfan. I bet our paths crossed on Beech Avenue in those days. I walked by Gold & Dunn to and from work at Thorn Bendix and my parents bought a lot of furniture from there when they finally had enough money to ditch the utility furniture they'd had from 1947.

• Upvote 1

Hippo Girl, heard you've been contacted by the former Mrs Pam Pass? am seeing her tonight if you've any message, Remember Johnny Onion? was told by Mick Marriott he died last week, was changing car battery and slipped banging his head on car wing

#54 iandawson - Opposite Ortzen St on Peveril St was the store room or workshop for a shop that fronted on Alfreton Rd. I know because I set fire to the shop in 1948. Next door on Peveril St were 2 terraced house and a play pal lived in the lower one - Athalea Watton. Beales factory was opposite and as kids we woukld play in the empty basketwork crates that were stacked on the corsy (pavement).

Re Beech Ave. My grandfather, Walter Whitbey lived at 137 in 1912 according to Mam's birth certificate. However Mam was born at Grandma's house on Francis St. The dates indicate a shotgun wedding. No one ever talked about Granddad, who died young. Probably a bad apple but it was rumoured that he was Jewish and that fact seemed to be more sensitive then than it is these days. Wish I knew more about him..

ian - I must do a similar walkabout one day.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...
On 21/05/2014 at 7:14 AM, catfan said:

My sister lived on Plimsoll Terrace when she first got married (1966).

An uncle & aunt lived on Enfield Strret.

I lived (at home) on Birkin Ave & Hazlewood Road, 60s - 70s.

My Dads Mum And step dad lived on Plimsoll terrace His name was Booth use to drink in the scotholm pub on the green. 

• Upvote 1

I was at Forest Fields Grammar 1961-66 with a lad called Keith Brown aka Hovis

He lived on Hazlewood Rd and like me followed Notts County.

Forest were a first division club in those days and Notts were in the lower leagues so we used to get a lot grief from the other lads at school

I think Keith was at Berridge Juniors along with Alan Alcock aka no balls who was one of the cleverest lads I've ever known. He went on to Cambridge and became a doctor. Nick Clark was also a Berridge lad. His parents ran the Post Office on Gregory Boulevard. I believe he took it on when they retired. Nick was a Notts fan too.

• Upvote 2

You may have known my sister, Julie Sparrow, Mess. She was at Berridge at the same time as Nick Clarke. I've put a list of names she remembers on the Berridge thread. I have some of her school photos somewhere.

I went to school with a number of children from Hazelwood Road. Jane Humphreys, 7 Hazelwood Road and Ann Green, daughter of Leila Green, to name but two. Did you also know Christine Roper from the wool shop at the top of Hazelwood Road?

Jill, I went to Beechdale Primary School which mainly consisted of wooden huts. It was an ACAC station during WWII.

It closed in 1962 and the site is now occupied by a care home called Foxton Gardens.

My family moved to Russell Rd Forest Fields in 1961 so I was closer to my new secondary school.

I met the Berridge lads when I was there. There were also lots kids from Stanley Boys, Forest Fields Girls and also Robert Shaw. There were a few Scotholme kids too I think.

• Upvote 1