I know this might not be strictly Notts talk, but my wife is dead scared of dogs and loose dogs are becoming a real issue for us.

Our kids are young and like many we like to go to parks etc but dogs off leads often dampens the mood and is starting to restrict where we go.

e.g. on sunday we went to stratford, lovely day out, had a picnic, but lots of loose dogs. i managed to convince my wife that they won't come to us and lets just carry on, only to have a loose dog run towards us and went poking around my wifes handbag.

she was gutted, and my kids are now getting scared because of her reactions.

i get really annoyed also, but it's hard to tell people because they often take offence at the fact we dont like their dog so we just don't say anything.

its such an issue now that when considering our holiday destination we just go abroad because going to anywhere like e.g cornwall etc will just be a problem for us.

just wondered if anyone had any advice...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a dog from the age of 7 and it was made clear to me your dog you look after it,and i did .when i got a paper round i even paid for the licence,7/6 i think it was.I Loved that dog 'Floss' was her

As a responsible dog owner I always have our dog on a lead in public places but what I find galling are the number of folk who are out walking their dog off a lead and allow it to come belting over to

My mum used to boil a sheep's head from the butcher for my dog, Scamp, in the late fifties.  It smelled dreadful, but he liked it!  He also ate the scraps from our meals.   I remember mum buying a tin

instead of keeping quiet ask the dog owners nicely if they would keep there dogs on leads as your wife has a fear of dogs check the park rules many know have rules that dogs be kept on a leadif this is the case poit this out.

Babs is right about park rules and designated areas where dogs are allowed off leash. Being a dog lover from way back, it annoys me when people do not control their dogs and as a result, other people have their day ruined by incidents like yours.

However, any dog poking around in my wife's handbag and causing her grief would get my boot up its behind and likewise the owner if he wanted to take umbrage.

Pepper spray, personal fly spray or similar squirted in the eyes of a dog as close as the one you describe would also fix it.

The old walking stick or brolly hard down across the snout also works.

Cruelty - no....just ensuring your own protection or of others in your care.

Stand up for your rights and invariably, others will support you. Do not have your day ruined by some moron whose dog is only a social image factor and extension of his penile ego.

• Upvote 1

My dog died recently and I miss him so. I cant bring myself yet to get another dog but I will.

Ive owned dogs (weimaraners so fairly big dogs) for some decades now and I have never objected to anyone asking me to put my dog on a lead. If the person feels worried, its my responsibility as a dog owner to make sure that they do not feel fear, rather than them just putting up with it. I usually try to anticipate this and get the dog on a lead as soon as I see someone else.

However, I have known some people to react way over the top even when I have the dog under control. I have even been attacked by a runner who was undoubtedly startled by my dog, but didnt calm down when I had the dog under control, and tried to fill me in. He soon learned that it was not the dog he needed to be worried about.

The funniest (although not for the person, nor the long legal threats afterwards) was a Mormon who tried to speak to me whilst I was unloading shopping. I said I was not interested and even so whilst I was taking the shopping in (something from B@Q so not easy to shut the door), the Mormon actually entered the house through the open door. The dog got him cornered. Didnt bite him but it was a brown trouser moment for the Mormon.

• Upvote 3

Remember walking my dog, a German Shepherd, one evening around the suburbs (on a leash) when this quite attractive woman approached us along the same footpath, walking her long haired Golden Retriever.

She smiled and said hello as we neared and amazingly, the two dogs showed an interest in each other, no growling or anything, just a lot of tail wagging and trying to get close.

As we passed, the woman said how nice my dog was and could we let the dogs sniff each other.

True. Cross my heart and hope to die!

Unfortunately my wife was walking a few yards in front of me, so I declined the request on the grounds of safety and continued walking.

Went that way several times after that, just me and the dog; at various times but never saw the woman or her dog again...................................... slywink

• Upvote 2

Cobnotbap, I know exactly how your wife feels, I'm petrified of dogs too and have been in the same sort of situation. I always end up leaving places when I see a dog off a leash. I've even started seeing people, especially the young/drunken types walking their dogs without a leash and having the dog just run in front, I always tend to cross the road!

Mercurydancer, despite being scared of dogs, I fell in love with a dog which was a cross between a Weimaraner and a Vizsla in Devon!

As a responsible dog owner I always have our dog on a lead in public places but what I find galling are the number of folk who are out walking their dog off a lead and allow it to come belting over towards us. This is so unfair because my dog (a terrier) on a lead, feels trapped while the other dog is usually 'larping' around us. I like that word larping ....... is it a real word or one I've made up?!!!! Even in places such as Wollaton Park there are signs telling dog owners to keep their dogs on a lead, you really shouldn't be hassled by dogs there. The problem you have though is that your children are now scared of dogs because of your wife's fears. It's amazing though how many parents let their young children run over to my dog to stroke it ........ I never let them, but warn them that they have to be careful with strange dogs. That's me saying that to kids, not their parents warning them! Our little fella is very gentle and has never bitten anything or anybody in his life but there's always the first time.

• Upvote 5

One of the reasons I'm an early riser is so that my two can have a run off the leash when no one is about.But I always call them back and leash them if I see another owner or an early morning jogger.

It's called responsible dog owning...unfortunately lacking in some.

Mind you mine are trained to stand still or return to heel on command...not many are.

• Upvote 2

Cobnotbap, I know exactly how your wife feels, I'm petrified of dogs too and have been in the same sort of situation. I always end up leaving places when I see a dog off a leash. I've even started seeing people, especially the young/drunken types walking their dogs without a leash and having the dog just run in front, I always tend to cross the road!

Mercurydancer, despite being scared of dogs, I fell in love with a dog which was a cross between a Weimaraner and a Vizsla in Devon!

Weimaraners are lovely dogs. As I have said, I lost mine recently. He was my third Weimaraner and each had long and happy lives. Weimaraners are extremely loving. Of course they are visually beautiful. They are extremely excitable to the point of being mentalists, but they only become aggressive if you mistreat them. All of mine never had anything like aggression. They need lots of exercise, and they need to be run each day, so not suited to city life.

I'll have to find a photo - (pre-digital days circa 1990) of my old lad, Winston, with his head sticking out of an armoured personnel carrier as if he was driving it. I also have another photo of my last weimaraner, wearing a coat which looks very much like a guide dog coat, but it was made by a friend. It actually says "Assistance dog for the pi**ed" I wont say how many times it was necessary to use it, but it got some laughs in Keswick.

• Upvote 2

Seems to be a problem everywhere. I always keep my Beagle on a leash when outside his back yard. He has lots of room to run and chase Squirrels etc there. If he saw a Rabbit or some other animal while loose outside my yard I doubt if I would see him again. Probably go for three miles before he realised he was lost. Some folks just don't get it. We have a woman on our subdivision who has one of those long extending leads. Her dog is all over everybody's front yards. She and I had words recently and they were not pleasant. Some folks just get dog owners a bad name.

I think it is another sign of the times, being a responsible dog owner is part of owning a dog, but I'm afraid many do not do the right thing.

I have a very exuberant spaniel, she is a joy to own and can run like the wind, but I would never foist her on anyone and she is always on the lead when in public, in fact even on our dog beaches (we have beaches here that you can specifically excersise your dog off the lead) I keep her tethered as she would just run and play with the other dogs and be very hard for me to get back on her lead.

She is well trained but when excited it all goes out the window.

My other hate is idiots not picking up after their dog had done its deed. I never go anywhere without a supply of bags !

Another anoyance is old ladies with little fluffy things on long retractable leads that wander all over the pavement tripping people up then attacking my dog, as they all seem to have small dog syndrome.

• Upvote 3

AS bad as some peoples manners are with their Dogs things have improved no end since i was growing up,i remember Dogs roaming the streets in packs and always having to give them and their "muck" a wide bearth.In those days many people just let their dogs out for the day and they only returned when they got hungry.

Try walking through Bestwood, it's like playing hop-scotch dodging piles of muck. Nobody seems to bother, it's just spread over the pavement. Goodness knows what their houses are like. If you carry pooh bags in some areas, you're looked upon as a wuss.

• Upvote 1

I'm not particularly a dog person, but I don't mind them as long as they don't mind me.

I've always worked on the principle that dogs reflect their owners. If a dog is well-behaved, sensible and under control, then its owner is probably similar. If a dog is aggressive, out of control and unpleasant, then its owner is probably of a similar type.

And I can't stand those owners who are out walking their dog and let it run up to passers-by with.... "oh, it's all right, he only wants to play". They seem to think the animal has every right to come bounding up to me and sniffing around.

So to come back to the original question - loose dogs are almost certainly owned by dodgy people. If the dog took you back to its home, the house would be exactly what you'd imagine it would be.

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 2

Getting back on topic!!....................I 'ad a loose dog once, 2 of it's legs & one of it's ears fell off before I had chance to tighten it up..............

• Upvote 1

Never had a dog, just cats that moved in & became boss.

I used to take my mates sausage dog (Sam) for a walk for him now & again, always took some plastic bags. Sam stopped & wee'd at every flipping lamp post, gate post, telegraph pole or owt else he could find, he'd also go berserk if he clocked another dog. Of course I never let him off the lead as I didn't know if he'd come back for me, it'd be embarrassing to say "Alan I've lost your sausage dog!" Unfortunately Alan & His dog Sam passed away just over 3 years ago. Still miss them, RIP to them both..

• Upvote 1

Perhaps they should bring back the dog licensing laws, and make it law that they are all chipped so that their owners can be traced if they are out alone, perhaps this would discourage folks who just keep dogs as status symbols, though I realise it would be difficult to police, but if you had to show your license for vet treatment, and get it stamped for innoculations etc, ( a bit like the horse passport control they have now) it might help keep tabs on the dog population.

If I get another dog in the future I wouldn't have a problem with licensing and I had my last two dogs chipped as a matter of course.

It did me Kath......

Licensing of dogs is required here, not sure about other states, but at least in Michigan and Florida your dog must be licensed and it must be current on its rabies and distemper vaccines! Chips are not required, mostly because there is not a standard tracking system yet (there are two competing systems), so many vets don't offer them. However, the dog must have its registration "tags" on it anytime it is out of our property.

George is always on his 6' lead, unless in a dog park or "off leash" area. He is an extremely friendly (and kind) chap, but because of his Rottweiler like markings, many people are afraid of him! It is also VERY common here for people to ask if it is O.K. to pet the dog - I always answer "of course, but you may get licked to death"! If he meets other dogs that are aggressive to him, he lays flat on the floor and allows them to come to him!

He doesn't mind how big or small the other dog is, he just wants to be friends, but I have also noticed that it is the folk with the "lap" dogs that he has the most trouble with. There is one such lady in the village who wigs-out because George "sniffs" her dog - of course he does - HE'S A DOG!

• Upvote 1

There's no dog licensing in either Arkansas or Missouri, and there's none in California.

I recall a very large sign when entering Eldorado County, it read something like this, if you let your dog run after sheep or cattle, be prepared to have it shot..That was an official sign too!!

We don't have mandatory building permits down here either, so as long as you're outside city limits, on 5 plus acres, what you do on your own land is your business, as long as it's legal..

We took our dog and his cousin :unsure: to Wollaton Park for a walk around the lake this evening. There are signs up around the park that if your dog is seen to be worrying the deer (who are/were calving) then the dog will be shot.

What's going on there this weekend anyway? There's a massive stage set up, beer tents, rows of loos, fairground rides........... all we could see is notices of a sponsored walk for Diabetes on Sunday. The trucks have made a right old mess of the grassed areas too.

is it the splendour festival this week end dont know for sure but know its soon big adverts on busses .