How much did your first car cost?

My first car was a three wheeler but my first REAL car was a 'Morris Minor Traveller', bought second-hand in 1976 for £75. It eventually did 120,000 miles before I sold it to a scrap yard for £15.

• Upvote 1

1957 Ford Popular. Bought if for fifteen pounds from a mate at work. Painted it up, fixed the rust holes etc. drove it for three years and sold it for thirty pounds.

• Upvote 1

Mine was a 63 Morris Mini , must have got it about 1968 ish. Reg 196 TAR .Think it was about £140 . For some reason it had been sprayed a Jaguar aubergine colour . Ran it into the ground but just managed to coax it to the car auctions at Honeywood Gdns where it fetched about £7 .

First motorised transport, like #4, was a Vespa Sportique! First car was a 1957 Austin A35 purchased in 1970 for £35.00 - and I sold it two years later for the same amount!

My first car was a 1967 Triumph 2000 automatic my parents gave me when I went to uni. They bought it new and gave it me as an 8 year old with about 20,000 miles on it. I sold it for a few hundred a couple of years later. The first car I bought was a Hillman Minx I got for £30 to get home from uni. On its first outing it made it as far as Melton Mowbray where I donated it to the local college engineering dept after the head gasket went. I caught a bus home carrying the brand new battery I'd installed.

• Upvote 1

1963 Vauxhall Cresta 2.3litre 6 cylinder heap of scrap cost me 65 quid. Owned by a fat sorry overweight bloke so the front (bench) seat had a huge dent in it. I had to insert about 4 cushions so I could see over the dashboard.

• Upvote 2

In a slightly different timezone to everyone else so far, my first car was a Vauxhall Viva in 1975. It came from Hooleys on Derby Road and cost £600.

I bought it on HP (Hire Purchase for anyone not old enough). In those days there were restrictions on HP purchases, and for cars you had to pay 33% of the cost upfront, and pay the remainder within 2 years. At the time I was earning about £25 a week.

Dad gave me his Morris Traveller a week after I passed my test in 1964, wrecked it within 6 months. Then bought a Bedford 10cwt van for £90 me and my mate used it as a mobile bedroom complete with mattress when we went caving & climbing.

£120 Triumph Herald, reg no GAY 585 B, I didn't notice the reg when I bought it but my mates did, oh how they laughed. It'd start if it felt like it, it let water in when it rained, the back end would break away at the slightest excuse because of the swing back axle. Pulled a few girlies in it though.. :)

• Upvote 1

Ford Thames van, £15. Painted it purple and laid carpet samples in the back. Someone in a posh car once ran into the back of it, his car was wrecked but the back doors of the van just elegantly curved inwards. Reg numbers were 007 but can't remember the letters.

2nd vehicle was a split screen '59 VW Caravette 2 berth, paid £80 for it and sold it for a profit a few years later for £100 .

As well as every day use, it took us to France and Cornwall for a holiday . My brother also took it abroad and brother in law did a Cornwall trip in it too . Didn'have a fuel guage so had to estimate when it needed filling up !

ah, ah, ah ,it could have been the same one,to be honest i would have remembered oo7,so prob. not.Its just that you don't very often hear about anyone else having a 'ford thames van'.i bought it in 1964 for £150 from Johnsons on Mansfield rd.Had some good times with/in it. :)

Not quite my first car or how much it cost - but - that car on my avatar is a 1961 Rover 100, actually registered on New Years Day '61. It is a Nottingham City registered car. My father bought it in 1991, I inherited it when he died. I have quite a lot of history with it and it was owned for many years by one John Herbert who had a jewelers shop on Trinity Square. The shop went when Trinity Square went a few years back. John Herbert is now a jewelers on Wheeler Gate but I suspect that it is just a business name. John Herbert evidently sold the car in September 1981. I have invoices dating back to early 1971 and John Herbert owned it as far back as that but I know nothing earlier either of the car or John Herbert. I wonder if anyone here knows anything more than I do. I remember his shop on Trinity Square well back into the sixties.

ah, ah, ah ,it could have been the same one,to be honest i would have remembered oo7,so prob. not.Its just that you don't very often hear about anyone else having a 'ford thames van'.i bought it in 1964 for £150 from Johnsons on Mansfield rd.Had some good times with/in it. :)

Well maybe we had it after your good self then. Not sure when we actually bought it...or sold it ....but we definitely had it in 1971 because that's when we had the bump in it.

• Upvote 1

AT the risk of boring you 'vintageann' i have funny story about that van, within a few days of buying it i took my then girlfriend 'Katrina' for a spin up the Oxton by- pass,and decided to see how fast it would go (being 19 and stupid) anyway at about 60 mph it shook that much i had to pull over,and when i turned to Katrina tears were streaming down her face,just like 'nervous Nerys' in 'only fools and horses'... :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

That's probably why it was falling to pieces. When it rained I had to stuff something in the footwell because the spray squirted into the passenger seat and soaked everything. Obviously before MOTs were ever heard of.

I think we part chopped it for a Vauxhall Viva. Classy or what?!

• Upvote 1