Doug himself also taught but at Cottesmore. My wife went there but it was the boys he taught. Did anyone mention Jesse Boot and also John Dane and William Ashley Player. All were real Nottingham heroes, not only providing employment for many people but also gave of their own wealth for the people of Nottingham.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham's World War 1 hero & flying ace Albert Ball died on this day 7th May 1917, for you Sir, I doff my hat.

Who do other countries consider to be Nottingham's heroes? During WW2 my dad escaped from an Italian prisoner of war camp and over a period of 3 months made his way from north of Rome to a small moun

# 31. I really have a lot of affection for our Albert, silly as it may sound. My Grandmother and her 2 sisters knew him really well, growing up together in Lenton and The Park. I have letters t

• 1 month later...

# 31. I really have a lot of affection for our Albert, silly as it may sound. My Grandmother and her 2 sisters knew him really well, growing up together in Lenton and The Park. I have letters that Albert sent to my Great-Aunt from the Front, very matter of fact stuff, absolutely amazing considering he was there on the front line, our best and most successful WW1 fighter pilot. On one letter he writes 'so sorry I haven't written for a while but I've been busy'. Yes just a bit ........ !!!

I will treasure those letters, plus a photo of him as a boy of probably 14, standing in the garden of the family house, a photo that has never been published.

• Upvote 6

Yes Michael, my Grandmother would tell me lots of stories about Albert as I was growing up, I really felt that he was a member of our family. There was a story that he flew back from France and landed on Wollaton Park, to see his family. He was a normal mischievous lad. My Great Grandparents had a newsagents on Park Road, Lenton ....... he would ride past on his bicycle and throw 'fire-crackers' into the doorway of the shop ....... little sod!!!! I would have loved to have met him, what a boy!

• Upvote 1

LizzieM, there are quite a few photographs of Albert Ball on PTP, including family groups etc.

Thought this was a good one of him, playing about down the Trent when he would have been 15-18 years old:

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM012287&pos=15&action=zoom&id=63730

I've only looked quickly at that link Cliff Ton but I don't think there'll be anything because they left there in the 30's and moved to May Avenue, Wollaton, to a brand new house. (TaxiRay put an aerial shot of Wollaton on here which was taken at that time) My Gt Grandparents address was 24 Park Road and assume that was the shop address too.

• 5 months later...

Who do other countries consider to be Nottingham's heroes?

During WW2 my dad escaped from an Italian prisoner of war camp and over a period of 3 months made his way from north of Rome to a small mountain village called Spigno a few miles from Monte Cassino. I got my son to ask his granddad about his time during the war (he never did discuss it with me) this gave me the name of the family which looked after him and hid him from the German soldiers. Some other details were mentioned.

Back in 2003 I was in Italy and decided to check on this village in the vain hope of finding the family, so, armed with a very poor translation (Babelfish) of what I was after, I stopped at a small ristorante and handed them the note, after a lot of shouting amongst themselves one stepped forward who could speak english. He asked where I was from and when he informed the rest they shouted in unison "Ah! Robin Hood, Brian Clough." That's what makes Nottingham famous in the eyes of inhabitants of a mountain village in Italy with a population of about 2,500 people.

A week later I phoned the english speaking fellow and he had great news he had found the family. I drove back to Spigno and met them (in tears) the mother-in-law

of the son of the man who harboured my dad knew of the other details which proved they were genuine. We offered to take them all for a meal and at the end they had another surprise they wouldn't let us pay. Amazing people. Without their kindness and bravery it is possible I might not have been born.

The following year I went back to properly repay them, not that this could ever be done fully. They displayed even greater generosity and kindness (more tears). Wonderful people.

• Upvote 6

A 'big up' for Stanley Middleton. Nottiingham novelist and Booker Prize winner. Also an English Teacher by whom I was priveleged to be taught for a couple of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Middleton

One of his early novels, 'Harris's Requiem', includes a scene in a school staff room and a journey home, which is clearly derived from the High Pavement site at Bestwood. Another , I think it's 'Brazen Prison', clearly desacribes 'Bulwell Bogs'.

Col

• 11 months later...

Hi all,my first post on this interesting site.

A man that belongs on this forum is surely John Shaw,"The Hero of Waterloo".

Shaw was born in Wollaton,1789,was baptised at St. Leonards church and worked on the Wollaton Park estate.In 1807,he enlisted in the Lifeguards and,being a big,strong man,became a pugilist of renown.

In 1815,he had the chance of a fight for the British championship,but Waterloo intervened.At the battle,he killed several of the enemy until he was mortally wounded.

• Upvote 2

Welcome Duke . Interesting to read about John Shaw . 

I see there is a monument at Cossall with his name on . Assume its still there .

Here's a cast of the skull of John Shaw ! 

http://waterloo200.org/200-object/cast-of-skull-of-corporal-john-shaw/

How can you not have young Albert Ball at the top of the list. The post is crap,we got free copies a few weeks ago pushed through the letter box went straight in the bin without opening,years ago it would be hung in the outside lavvy.

Heroes, meh, humbug. Gifted singers, actors, scientists etc ? Hogwash in my book. These in the NEP are well known local people NOT heroes at all.

Brian Clough, Ken Clarke ? Clough was certainly good at his job, but a hero ? No chance.

Proper heroes are like already mentioned Albert Ball VC, Servicemen & women who risked their lives & sometimes made the supreme sacrifice of losing their lives, then don't forget police officers who go above & beyond to save life or as a copper, stopping & preventing serious crime. Also not forgetting those two Notts coppers who were responsible for capturing Peter Sutcliffe the Yorkshire Ripper. PC Ged Walker too. In my book these people are the true heroes, not some highly paid mamby pamby singer, actor or writer etc.

There is a world of difference between a famous person & a TRUE hero.

• Upvote 5

Not sure Ian, mercurydancer is more knowledgeable on that than me. In our church there is a memorial to the fallen of that church in both wars. There are many names & quite a few from the same family, brothers ?.

Bulwell lads were straight in to do their "Bit", Makes me feel quite humble mesen, being a Bulwell resident.