• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after he

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it

My wife has been feeling unwell and unsteady on her legs so she had to go to the hospital for some tests. It was found that her blood platelets were low but just higher than the level where she'd need

Really pleased to hear the good news Michael. Perhaps your wife's hair will look different from what it used to look like - I knew someone who used to have straight hair but it grew back wavy.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

On Friday my wife had a meeting with the surgeon who is doing her mastectomy. It was a meeting to discuss the operation and what happens after it. She was to have the operation on October 16 and any reconstruction would be done a year after the op. The surgeon told my wife that she looked good and was handling her situation really well and always had a laugh with everyone, the laugh normally being at herself. My wife isn't loud in any way, she just doesn't want to mope about under a cloud of depression. During her conversation with the surgeon my wife mentioned that she wasn't happy having put on extra weight, mainly because of the steroids and being unable to get any exercise due to the chemotherapy taking away her stamina. The surgeon looked at her for a while and then asked if she could examine her. The surgeon then went out of the room and spoke to this chap who is the top surgeon at the hospital. They then examined my wife and told her that, because she was carrying extra weight, they could use some of it to reconstruct her breast and also for her other one to match them up. This would be done during the mastectomy op in which both the surgeons would be present. They asked my wife how she felt about it and she was elated, thrilled to bits. The operation date has been changed so she has to wait for a new date. She knows there's a lot of pain coming her way but she wants to get it done and get back to normal life again. Having a normal life and being married to me just doesn't go hand in hand. :)

• Upvote 6

Micheal, So pleased to read that your wife is doing so well, she does seem to deal with this illness and treatment with such a positive attitude, and I'm sure it must be hard at times. Thank goodness she has such a great team at the hospital working for her and you and your family to support her at home. Big hug for Mr and Mrs Booth.x :)

• Upvote 1

A while ago, you wrote that you felt like you were climbing up a rock face..... well I reckon you're much more than half way up now. You are both doing really well and the top is getting nearer. God bless you both....

• Upvote 1

I took my wife to the hospital yesterday, it was all to do with her forthcoming operation. She had to fill in a questionnaire regarding her medical history and also a few other tests, such as heart, blood pressure etc, just to make sure that she was fit enough for the operation. Everything was good and the lady went through all the information with us. She spoke about the operation itself and what happens after it. It seems that I'm going to be a very busy boy for quite a long while. One thing that did please my wife was when she learnt that they will glue the wounds instead of stitches so this will cut out the bad scarring. All the preparation has now been done and my wife just waits to be informed of the date of the operation.

I'd just like to mention that one of the reasons I've given so much info, regarding my wife's cancer problem, is so that anyone else who has to go through this will read the posts, learn from it, and maybe gain a little comfort from knowing that you can get through it mentally by adopting the right attitude to it all. I'm sure that there have been moments when my wife has privately shed a tear, as I have, it's only natural but you just get on with your life and try to stay strong.

• Upvote 6

Michael

As a professional I can see that you and your mrs are being given the best of care and advice.

A combined mastectomy and reconstruction is indeed very complex and difficult, but that is for the surgeons. Let them do what they are good at. A long complex operation does not mean that your wife will suffer undue pain or disfigurement , in fact quite the opposite, The end result is of the craft of the surgeons and anaesthetists. It will look good. Pain will be minimal.

With you every step of the way.

• Upvote 4

I've relived my situation along with all your wonderful quotes. I've laughed and I've cried at the comments. I too have gone through cancer. In 2009 I did a simple test ( that I insisted I didn't want to do but my husband insisted I do it) and it came back positive.

I had a laporoscopy on my colon and was measured for a stoma which fortunately didn't have to have. I had to have a course of chemo and radiotherapy . I should have had 2x4 chemo but the last of the first session I couldn't do because it was too near to radio as I'd had to miss 2 sessions of chemo due to headache and low cells so it upset the apple cart.so in the end I only had 3.

After the op it was the surgeon who phoned me to see how I was. Hurrah I thought ...I was a name I wasn't a number. It meant a lot to me. I thought it was all behind me but after a blood test and ecograph they found another tumour in Dec 2010 and was operated in March 2011 on my liver. They removed half it was a shock to say the least. Again you live with it but in 2012 once again my liver was playing host to yet another tumour.This time I had thermo ablation to bombard it. Ok I thought surely this is the end of it noooo!!

In Dec the same thing happened again so back again to hospital for another thermo ablation.

There is a happy ending to this story. It's now almost 3 years since and I'm cancer free. I have my blood tests every 3 months and see my oncologist and in Dec every year I have a CT scan and every June I have an ecogragh. Yes they keep me on a tight rein but I'm glad of it. In December I have my next CT scan but waiting for the date

I had a port inserted into the main vein and kept it for about 31/2 years I had it removed and brought it home as a souvenir.

So the moral of this story is whatever life throws at you don't accept it. If you do it drops you down . You are stronger than you think you are. I went through it thinking I was living it for someone else. I lost my brother from cancer and it makes me sad to think that he wasn't able to catch it in time. Research is coming on in leaps and bounds. So when you start chemo and before you finish treatment they've already found new ways to treat.

Reading all the comments and I've read from page one, I'm beginning to realise what a special and caring lot you are. It's difficult to judge people online but this has shown me an inside to you all. The concern for you wife Michael is overwhelming. Give her a hug from me and tell her I'm with her all the way.

I don't know if you believe in alternate medicine. I take Aloe Arborescens on recommendation of a cousin who had breast cancer and was recommended by her Dr.I feel it's doing good. It's not a fly by night thing it's serious. I don't mean it's an alternative for chemo etc. I would never suggest it but it's a natural product that has helped many cancer suffers. Do a research on it. Father Romamo Zago. Tells you all about it. There are lots of sites on it.

Lots of best wishes both to you and your wife Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

NonnaB, What an inspiring story of your 'battle' with cancer. So pleased that you have been cancer-free for so long now. Where did you have all your operations and chemo etc - was it in Italy?

• Upvote 2

I posted before but it's gone awol. Yes Margie I had all my ops in Italy. The oncology dept in Asti is considered to be one of the best so I consider myself lucky to be looked after in this area.

• Upvote 2