• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after he

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it

My wife has been feeling unwell and unsteady on her legs so she had to go to the hospital for some tests. It was found that her blood platelets were low but just higher than the level where she'd need

So glad to see that your wife is getting treated so quickly Michael. She is in good hands and I'm sure she will be well looked after at Hospital and at home with you by her side.

• Upvote 1

Mrs Karlton and I wish you and your wife all the very best Michael A time when you both need each other so much. Good luck. All nostalgians are behind you both I'm sure of that.

• Upvote 3

My wife had her meeting at the hospital yesterday and she has a million things to do and don't do. One of the things she has to do is to check her temperature regularly for signs of an infection. I've had to buy a new digital thermometer for her. If there is any change in her temperature she has to phone the hospital straight away. She's starting to get a little stressed about the start of the chemotherapy on Thursday. Not the chemo itself but any problems that'll stop her having the treatment, like getting a cold for instance. I think that anyone in her situation would have the same thoughts as she has. We have been given some literature by the hospital so we have a lot of reading to do. One of the things mentioned was hair loss and it looks as though she'll lose her lovely long hair. I've told her that it doesn't matter to me how she looks during her treatment. The only thing I won't allow her to do, when she's lost her hair, is to walk around the house singing 'Nothing Compares 2 U' which was recorded by the bald Sinead O'Connor. :biggrin:

• Upvote 10

Mrs Karlton and I wish you and your wife all the very best Michael A time when you both need each other so much. Good luck. All nostalgians are behind you both I'm sure of that.

Here, here....me too.....

• Upvote 1

We are all thinking about your wife Michael, and especially this week for the start of the treatment on Thursday. I bet she would be surprised at how many strangers are rooting for her. I hope the thought lifts her spirits.

• Upvote 4

I read somewhere of someone in a similar situation to your wife, Michael, who had her long hair cut off prior to treatment and then donated it to an organisation that makes hairpieces for children who have lost their hair during treatment for cancer. I know that sounds a bit drastic, but it was just an idea if her hair is long.......

• Upvote 3

Mrs Catfan's younger sister trod the path your wife is about to embark upon Michael.

Her sister is fine now after the treatment & now says she does'nt know what all the fuss was about !

• Upvote 1

I repeat everything said above. Good luck to you both..Fortitude

• Upvote 1

My wife had her first chemotherapy session today and everything went well. The hospital staff are so caring and keep you well informed about every stage of your treatment. Now that she's got her first session finished she's feeling a lot happier. It's always the fear of the unknown that makes you so anxious. She found out today that there are over 200 different cancer types and 80 different chemotherapy treatments. The hospital treats 250 cancer patients a week, which is a lot of people. My wife was all smiles today but she knows that the tough times are coming. Now that she's had her first session she's now in battle mode and ready to face it. We try to have a bit of banter about things and while we're doing that it'll make things a lot easier.

• Upvote 10

Michael, you and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm a nurse and deal with cancer patients every day. The word mentioned at the consultation with Mr Chan would be curative. They will zap the cancer, poison the cancer, cut whatever they can out, but the aim is to cure. That is to get rid of it all. Permanently. Its a rough path but it is achievable. The rough bit is now. Eventually you will hear those welcome words from the consultant "I dont need to see you for three months" and the following appointments will be "I dont need to see you for six months" then it will be "We will just monitor you"
At each milestone, dont forget to celebrate.

• Upvote 7

Glad it went well Michael, and fingers crossed for the future.

• Upvote 1