• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the council really are not using STREET as a description of a place I for one am really annoyed, that word is ancient and indigenous to the English. And why did they think renaming Meadow Stile La

I found this Chulla, There is a reference to "Queen St" in there. 5th paragraph. If it is not right, it is still interesting to read. .http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1906/nottinghams

#6 Yes, the bread and lard lot!

Nothing against streets, born in one, moved to a road, then a street, then a rise, but when did they go out of favour with Town Planners?

On thoroughfares, is Highbury a Road or a Vale or a bit of both? Of course Latimer, Deptford, Northcote, Oxford, etc. lost their 'Street' status when redeveloped (and moved here and there) during the redevelopment of the late 1960s / early 1970s or whenever it was.

While we're in that area, what sort of thoroughfare is Piccadilly? Was there not enough space to put street, road, etc. on the nameplate?

Whilst listening to "Dry your eyes mate"

Easy enough to work out the connection!

When we leave the EU, what will happen to all the cul-de-sacs? We'll probably have to call them 'Bag Ends'.

• Upvote 2

Talking about streets with no number 13 We live in a Strada at number 13. Its not unlucky here, number 17 is. And black cats bring luck.

We are on Linden End, then there's a Linden Way and a Linden Close, all joining together. Very confusing for visitors looking for someone's house. Then there's an Orchard Way, Cherry Orchard and an Orchard Close very near together, and a Hop Row. A bit rural we are.... although there is a High Street

I've lived on a Circus, Road, Drive, Avenue and Trail, never a street. I think only older properties were streets in Nottingham?

When I lived in Harehills (a Victorian suburb of Leeds) there was (indeed still are) parallel streets of back to back terraced houses. A block of adjacent and nearly identical streets were similarly named - eg Bayswater Road, Bayswater Avenue, Bayswater Place, Bayswater View, Bayswater Close, Bayswater Terrace, Bayswater Mount, Bayswater Crescent, Bayswarer Row, Bayswater Grove - then the next block was similar with a different 'district' name.

• Upvote 2

Trying to post again. This afternoon when I tried to post it told me I was not allowed to. Strange.

I would have thought Radford Boulevard, Gregory Boulevard would have no problems. They were Boulevards when most of us didn't know where Europe was. thumbsup

Anyway. I was brought up on the mean STREETS of Netherfield. Then moved to Willow ROAD near the old Ritz cinema. (Now no more) Married a gal from a GROVE and ended up living on a CRESCENT. Is that moving up in the world or what? :unsure:

• Upvote 1

You may have not noticed it in another recent thread on Green St, The Medders. Probably the latest street is Hunter St, within the last two years.

I don't think we can take Hunter Street as new. See Nottingham Post 11 May 2010:

THERE used to a place called Hunter Street in the old Meadows.

It linked Fraser Road with Wilford Crescent but, sometime in the early part of the last century, it disappeared, its back-to-back terraced homes bulldozed in the name of progress.

It wasn't the only name to disappear when the city council developed the nearby recreation ground and school. Long forgotten, it is now just small print on century-old maps.

But that is about to change. Hunter Street is making a comeback.

The name is to be revived by the contemporary Green Street housing development, next to the Victoria Embankment.

The new road serving the 38-home sustainable scheme will be called Hunter Street, because the new homes being built by Nottingham developers Blueprint are on the site of the old street.

So, I'm still looking for the newest street. Any more suggestions?