Things you didn't have - Home

We all reminisce about the things we didn’t have when we were younger but what about things we have today that we take for granted but probably never dreamed about in those far off days.

Double glazing
Central heating
Microwave oven
Freezer (and maybe fridge)
Fitted carpets
Computer
T.V. (if you did only one channel)
Stereo music system
Electric shaver/epilator
Shower
DVD/Video
Digital camera
Digital clocks
Radio alarm
Doorbell
Fitted bedroom furniture
Fitted kitchen furniture
Inside toilet
Telephone
Steam iron
Steam mop/cleaner
Biros
Padded headboards
Duvets
Ansaphones
Digital radio
Local radio
Commercial radio (based in UK)
Glossy magazines
Convenience foods
Dishwashers
Fitted sheets
Electric blanket
Plastic bottles
Tumble dryers
Washing machine
Wheelie bin
Electric toothbrush
Calculator
Food processer
Post It Notes
E Books
Junk mail
Teasmade
Recliner chairs

• Upvote 1

We did have a telephone, only because my dad had his own business, but it was a shared line to start with. We had a doorbell, I think dad put that in, complete with Westminster chimes. Thinking about it, which I haven't till now, don't remember anyone else having one. I always knocked on their door. Others had a washing machine as well as us, but it lived either under the stairs or shoved in the bathroom off the kitchen to be dragged out on Mondays. After little brother was born the winter of '55, mam insisted on a tumble dryer for the nappies. We were the only folks to have one at that time (and it was still going strong about 40yrs later). Telly arrived in '57.

17 items I don't have.

I still use maps.

My husband tells the story about when he was a child and they had an outside toilet with no plumbing. In there were 2 buckets, one large with a seat for adults and one small one for children. His dad was very amused when the next door neighbour came running out of the toilet with her knickers round her ankles screaming. As she had been sat on the big seat a rat had popped out of the little one.

My mother's mum and dad lived in a terrace of miners' cottages at Pilsley, Derbyshire. What they didn't have was closed and locked doors.

• Upvote 1

Here in Spain we have no central heating , only calor gas, a doctor that hangs out the window for a fag he he and a siesta when you want to shop , no landline , no outside dustbins , little recycling , no letterbox hence no mail or Amazon deliveries to the house x

• Upvote 3

I downright refuse to have an electric shaver. I'm the dishwasher, no doorbell, just a big knocker. No teasmade or recliner chair, no tumble dryer they ruin more clothes than a little .

The things I would miss most would be the shower, computer and my music system.

• Upvote 1

We've got a 'doorbell'..........but you're right fly2...............you can't beat 'Big knockers' lol.

• Upvote 3

Leg man me........

#19, Big knockers - phwar! Reminded me of that joke: a young girl with big knockers went to the doctors to see if see could have them reduced in size. After examining her he said that they could be, but he would have to numb them first. She said OK to that. He then shoved his head between them, shook it side-to-side mumbling 'num-num-num-num.

I can't stand it when people deviate from the point of the thread. Someone should put a stop to it!

• Upvote 4

We've got a 'doorbell'..........but you're right fly2...............you can't beat 'Big knockers' lol.

My hubby likes big knockers, his family had shops in Broxtowe and Cinderhill, they had everything including big knockers, but changed it later on for a chime door bell..........He was born in 1944, they had a car, telephone, telly, all the latest gadgets, his mum had a fur coat and they holiday'd at Butlins every year for 2 weeks in the summer hols..................We have one of those doorbells that play lots of different tunes.....

Me mam had a hoovermatic washing machine, a goblin cleaner and a steam iron, we owned a big English Electric Television when ITV came out in 1955, me dad saved up for it for ages, paid cash for it from Skeavington and Payne on the High Street - we didn't have to have one of those ITV boxes under the telly like our neighbours did who rented their telly's from Frank Sisson's on the town.........Yet we were considered poor as my dad had an accident down the pit and couldn't work for ages - me mam had a treddle sewing machine and made or altered all our clothes, she was forever knitting too.........We didn't have a bathroom, a tin bath outside the back door and an outside loo with pipes that froze up in the winter, a horrible back yard which we shared with 2 other houses.............Neighbours always arguing through their kids............Every Monday was wash day and if it rained the clothes horse came out and stood in the kitchen full of wet washing which you couldn't get past.........Oh happy days..........

• Upvote 1

Slightly adrift of the topic, I know, but Blondie's story of Hucknall in her younger days reminded me of an amusing incident when I worked at Rolls-Royce, in the coppersmiths' shop. We had a labourer, named Bill Ford - a Hucknall chap. Every day the tea trolley used to stop at our shop. Sometimes it was in the charge of a 'dolly bird' - blonde hair, lipstick, etc and figure to match. Bill used to live in the same row of houses as her. Someone in the shop let out a leering 'cooorrr', to which Bill remarked 'You should see her Sunday mornings when she has been black-leading'. Remaks like that don't come more deflating.

• Upvote 1

I like big knockers I like letterboxes as well Teee Heee