• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I strongly suggest anyone thinking of 'Adopting'' a Kitten don;t.....   Have two instead.........Babs and Syd are giving us so much pleasure in these 'Lockdown' times..........they playfight

#11 Just for you Fly.

I love cats....we lost ours through mouth cancer last March, it was devastating, we had her for years, I will never own another, to heartbreaking when they pass away................I am feeding a very

This morning I saw a car and. Hertz van just a bit further up the road. A woman got out with something in her hands that she pushed through the grate. She returned to the car and a tiny kitten ran out following her. I waited til she’d collected the kitten again and as she drove away I stopped her and asked if it was her kitten. She said she had seen it in the middle of the road and pushed it through the gate to protect it. I was struggling to keep my 2 dogs under control because they want to get the kitten so I wasn’t able to take reg number. As it happened there were 2 kittens and making enquiries etc found out that the new neighbours (Tunisians or Moroccans) have 4 kittens. They were trying to eat the gravel on the road so we fed the poor things they were ravenous and they were fighting each other for the food. We have 4 dogs as I’ve mentioned before and we couldn’t let them outside in the courtyard as the kittens were making their way through the sides of the gate. This afternoon one of them was run over. The owners are renovating this cascina and there was no sign of them all day. So there’s all sorts of things in the yard and stable so presume they’ve just left the kittens there hoping they’d feed themselves.We are all upset and furious about it so when they do come back we have to tell them not to be so irresponsible. I know they aren’t probably pet orientated but we think they’ve got them as they have 4 children.

nonnaB that’s awful. Thank goodness you are so caring. Send them to me or Jill, we’ll look after them.

• Upvote 1

An all too frequent circumstance.. Some people do not care. Mind you, we are not good in out treatment of so many animals (including human animals.)

• 2 months later...

Been to the V E T today for little Jessie's post-spay check up.  All is well. She now sports a snazzy harness and is microchipped.  For a cat who had never been to a vet, in a cat carrier or in a car, she has coped incredibly well with her two visits: spaying on 20 November and check up today. She didn't even mind the D O Gs in the waiting area.

In January, the two furry terrorists she calls offspring will be wending their way to the same place.  I hadn't visited this veterinary clinic before but they are wonderful. Thompson's in Sutton in Ashfield. Highly recommended.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Just love Cats..   by Stuart Frew on FB  

May be an image of ragdoll cat

stray kitten being looked after   after being brought home by owner....

• Like 2

I just love cats, too, no one will be surprised to hear.  Jessie Belle's two kittens are now four months old and due a trip to the V E T. Jessie has been spayed and, good mother though she has been, won't be having any further progeny.  The ginger kitten, originally named Rumpole, has now been renamed Chivers as she's female. Pushkin has almost been renamed Moriarty, due to his astounding level of intelligence, apparently ability to enter rooms with closed doors and penchant for stealing things. The feline Napoleon of Crime.  He's also very fond of cuddles.

• Like 1

My Babs is the most complete loving Cat ive ever known..........from being that tiny stray Kitten from Hartlepool.3 years ago......she weighs Eleven pounds...(needs to lose a bit)....she goes no further than next door......the only people she lets fuss her are myself and Donna.......but strangley enough she lets other family members...she seems to know they are related......

With me having my odd voice. she even so. seems to understand every word i say ..........When i want her to come in i can't shout..so clap my hands and she comes running.......and when i dont have my speaking voice working......she even understands my sign language.....but the nicest thing is when she jumps on me at 3am telling me she wants to go out...she stands on my chest purring and rubbing her face on mine.......:)

• Like 4

Just had a grey one sitting in the tree with the bird feeders on ready to pounce, I am not a happy person especially as I had to clean up after the things on my grass

Rog

On 1/5/2024 at 2:05 AM, plantfit said:

Just had a grey one sitting in the tree with the bird feeders on ready to pounce

Unless cats are kept indoors or in well fenced runs particularly overnight then the only good cat is a flat cat.

Feral and free roaming domestic cats are decimating our local wildlife. Some local councils are considering registration of domestic cats but that still does not address the feral cat problem.  Perhaps a bounty would help?

• Like 1

This little “angel” has just brought me a mouse in. Good job I keep the kitchen door shut at night.IMG-0117.jpg

• Like 2

In our previous house 'oop north' one if the cats brought a chipmunk into the house. My first instinct is to say 'drop it ' I know not why, and he does. Only for said creature to run and hide.  It took 2 days to find its hiding place and we got it back outside.  Did I learn my lesson?  Nope. Down here, the next critter bought inside was a lizard. Drop it!  Off it went under the furniture. Smaller house, got it out quicker than the last time. Darn cats. But I love them.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Unless cats are kept indoors or in well fenced runs particularly overnight then the only good cat is a flat cat.

Feral and free roaming domestic cats are decimating our local wildlife. Some local councils are considering registration of domestic cats but that still does not address the feral cat problem.  Perhaps a bounty would help?

I have had many cats in the past and have all been trained to use a litter tray and mainly stayed in their own garden but the things we have roaming around the place at the moment are fast becoming a pest, the owners or whatever you call them are not at all interested in what they get upto, the cats leave their house via an upstairs window and return the same way, for what it's worth I agree with every thing you say, I know this might upset a lot of members on here but when the grandchildren come in from playing in the garden covered in cat muck and I see clumps of feathers from dead birds under my bird feeders I think enough is enough

Rog

Cats will always do ''WHAT THEY WANT''........we are lucky we didnt have to train ''Babs'' she just seems to know about the Litter Tray''....

I reckon she goes no further than next doors Garden......what she does there i don't know.......never had a complaint....

Other Cats come on my Garden to say ey-up to 'Babs'' and occasionally i find their '''Muck''....i clear it straight away...and don't find it a problem.....

Cats will always be Cats'''' 

Many years ago at one of my old Houses....my neighbour asked me to have a word with ''Tom'' our then Cat..........i did so....very funny........

Too many irresponsible cat owners. Several entire toms visit my garden. They are lovely cats. Some wear collars, so they have homes. Others are the size of a barrel because they could have inspired the story of Six Dinner Sid!  None has been neutered. This is why I have Jessie Belle and two kittens. She wasn't spayed and was homeless.  Some people think it isn't necessary to neuter toms. Heaven knows why. Unneutered, they wander for miles, get into fights, road accidents, sustain injuries and sire kittens no one wants.  One of these days, I'm going to start my own campaign of taking these toms to the vet and getting them sorted.  From April, all cats need to be microchipped. However, the irresponsible brigade will take no notice. Legally, however, it's a minefield. If you neuter someone else's cat, you could be in trouble.  All I'm trying to do is reduce the stray population and keep the males safer.

• Like 3

When we lived up north, we were on a wooded acre. The cats would go outside, come inside to use the litter tray, and go back outside! They even watched next door's cats dig a hole use it, then cover it up. They never got it!

• Like 1

My eighteen year old tabby female has never in her entire life been to the loo in the garden. She won't dig dirt. Might soil her paws.  She'll come in to use the tray and then go out again.  

Lovely song......very relaxing listening to this with 'Babs''............

• Like 3

We’re not cat lovers, wouldn’t do them any harm but we do curse them as they sit on a fence watching the little birds on the bird feeders.  We’ve always had dogs until little Jack died 3 years ago.  However …. Every time we go away for a few days I know for certain I’ll discover a field mouse dead in one of the traps I have permanently set (with tempting peanut butter) in the cellar. Sure enough we arrived home last night and there, dead, was a little rodent.  If we had a cat we’d still get mice in the house because the feline wouldn’t be here on its own.