End of the world weekend

I've noticed that Channel 5 is having a weekend of 'end of the world' (as we know it) films to co-incide with the SUPPOSED asteroid strike expected over the next week. Even Big Brother has joined the bandwagon calling the next episodes 'the end is nigh!' I'll enjoy the films, even though I've seen all but one before, but don't think I'll be looking at the skies.......

I remember when I was about 16 there was a rumour that the world was going to end on a certain day, and we listened to '3 steps to heaven' during the morning break at school. (Yes, I know the song is definitely about a different sort of heaven!!)

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite right too Chulla. As I have already said, each to their own. We are all different having different opinions & views on many things in life. There are certain other aspects of life I find of

As is obvious by now, mentioning religion to me is like waving a red rag at a bull; I have to have a go at it. At one time the thread looked a little heated but it has calmed down (sort of) and we are

I don't think we ordinary people would be told if it a massive asteroid strike or similar was imminent. I'm with you on this one, Blondie. Logically, I agree that there would be no point getting hy

That thought crossed my mind as well, Cliff Ton, but I swiftly got rid of it!! I'm booking our accommodation for October this morning...

I remember so many of these so called events. I recall one when the followers sold up everything they had a they all went up a mountain to wait - I do not know if they are still up there waiting. In the papers it says if there was an asteroid we should all start to be able to see it in the sky now.

I remember at the turn of the millennium there were people in the USA who were convinced that all the computers and technology were going to crash on the turnover from 1999 to 2000. The world would grind to a halt. So these people stockpiled food and supplies and went to live in the mountains.

Are they still there ? And how did they react to the news that they got it wrong ?

• Upvote 1

Yes I often wonder about those people who sold everything they owned and gave the money away - what did they do the next day

• Upvote 1

My printer/scanner has crashed and I can't seem to get it re-installed. I wonder if this is due to the asteroid, or perhaps a delayed year 2K syndrome fault?

• Upvote 2

I've seen a few christian forum threads/topics / posts about this september being maybe something "big" going to happen. I think we probably have at least a few years/decades/centuries left yet though (though my own end could be any second/hour/day/week/month with these heart pains etc). Can anyone add past/present/future ones to my list?:

1917 bolshevik / 1918 ww1
1940s water fluoridation.
1944 Bretton Woods plot
1945 end of WW2
1948 Israel
1950 date for b.p. dating system.
1957 Treaty of Rome
1962 "general world decline (Great Pyramid calendar)".
1966 LaVey;
1967/8
1980s Rogernomics
1984 Orwell
1986 Halley's comet
1990 human genome project begun
1991 Antarctica
1992 Maastricht
1996 Clementine 2 / [star wars?]
1997 Hale-Bopp comet (Heavens Gate "cult")
1999 smartmeters planned (NZ)
2000/2001? human genome mapped (Clinton speech).
2000 y2k;
2000/2002 alignement 5 planets
2001 great pyramid calendar stops
2003 Clementine 2
2003 "Nibiru".
2004 transit of venus?
2004 impact world tour (NZ)
2007/2008 freeview tv began (NZ)
"2008 is 60 yrs since 1948", B Hinn's "new yr".
[2008 moon & jup & ven?]
2009 Benedict xvi encyclical "super-UN"
2011se58/pyr-shape obj./elenin?
2011 "end of world",
2012 transit of venus?
2012/2013 Mayan # world age ends/starts
2013/2014 freeview tv (analogue switch off).
2014 2lunar eclips
2014&2015 bloodmoons
2014/2015smartmeters
2015 2lunareclipses
2015? Francis "new global authority"/"fix world"
2015 conjunction Venus & Jupiter
2015(-2065) jubilee.
{2015 sept 10 things/15 days/266th day/500 days, Hadron collider experiment.}
2017/8 smartmeters/digitalisation/transhumanism?
2020s [Thiele's?] end times/last days
2020s/2029 comet/meteor Apophis due to encounter earth.
2030 agenda [agenda 21 on steroids?]
2040 4 planets conjunction.
2045 initiative
2052 UK census released
2061 Halleys comet
(2015-)2065 jubilee
before 2074 Yellowstone due any minute.
2117/2125 transit Venus
[2467 jup & sat in aquarius]
{Age of Aquarius starts (and/or Age of Pisces ends) in either 1447/1994/2012/2062/2150/2595/2600/2680/2691/2700/2720/2817/3621.}
2854: 9 planets synod.
c3400 "Nibiru".

http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/21882-critique-this-prophecy-please/

I thought it was supposed to be a comet????? If it's a comet, arent they supposed to be just ice and dust???? If so, it will melt on atmospheric entry, best we can hope for are heavy dusty showers...LOL

Oh No, I had forgotten about the End Of The World next week.

I hope it doesn't land at Skeggy. It looks like I might be sitting in the caravan all week with mi tin hat on. Any one know what time it is scheduled for, because I want to make sure I visit Eptons first. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I heard that the world is coming to an end on the 28th September .........Hope it doesn't happen as I have just had my hair done, cost a bit as it had to be restyled after months of tattiness and we are going away on he 26th to Yorkshire to celebrate my 70th birthday on the 30th with family and friends.........

I can remember hearing this back in 1958 when I was at school, didn't do my homework the night before, thought it would be a waste of time.......Didn't happen, we are still here..........

• Upvote 2

Would cause mass hysteria if we were informed before hand.......

ever looked at some of the nature progs on tv & when they show a pic of our wonderful planet in colour with all the back universe around it and felt really alone, at time these pictures make me get goosepimples, if you know what i mean

• Upvote 2

Depending on your Biblical interpretation method, allegorical, spiritual literal grammatical etc. mine is the latter. Using that method we have a seven year period called the great tribulation coming up. See Revelation and Daniel particularly. This will be followed by a thousand year (millenial) period of peace and prosperity. Can't go into detail here. So! I am not expecting an end of the world this week, only God knows when that will be. However the signs of the times are all around us. Matthew 24.

Blondie #15. I think these ideas of mass hysteria are vastly overplayed. Even if we knew for sure we were going to end things next week why get hysterical it won't change it.

That's what I think Loppylugs. You wont find me sitting under the stairs crying and screaming and trembling and ...............Honestly, They don't call me CARMI for Nowt.

PS, don't believe a word of that. I tell fibs anawl.

:unsure::huh::shout:

• Upvote 1

#17 LOPPY.

Think you are right on the 'Hysteria' thing Loppy'.....i'm the first to admit i'm a touch Mardy (to put it mildly) about end of days,but i've had 2 near events in my life,and what surprised me was this 'Strange calmness' that came over me of acceptence.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we ordinary people would be told if it a massive asteroid strike or similar was imminent. I'm with you on this one, Blondie. Logically, I agree that there would be no point getting hysterical about it but I feel many people would...

And I'm with you on your post, Loppylugs, about the end times which I believe we are already living in, but the final end will only happen in God's time and in God's way and I'm happy with that.

• Upvote 5

Mankind today fools itself by thinking we know it all.........................but in the great scheme of things 'we know very little'

• Upvote 1

Before we were slammed by media everyday and in every way, we had to do with the man in Slab Square wi his sandwich board on, proclaiming The End of the World is Nigh.

• Upvote 1

Time is relative Katyjay. Bible tells us that a day with the Lord is as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day. With you on the end times Margie. Just think we are now in the very end of the end times.

As to knowing little. I'm with you there Ben. I always tell my dog, "you know less than me and I know nowt." Whatever one believes there is no doubt we are living in interesting times.

• Upvote 3

During my lifetime my World has nearly ended many times. Usually after I'd upset my parents when I was a kid. :biggrin:

Can you imagine what would happen if we knew for sure that the World was coming to an end. Yes, most people would be hysterical but others would turn into savages with murder, rape and violent crime throughout the land. I also think that people who have faith in their God will accept the inevitable more calmly.

• Upvote 2