Favourite flower scent?

My favourite flower scent is the humble Wallflower. I spend many an hour through Spring cupping and sniffing these humble little flowers. Anyone else have a favourite flower scent?

I love wallflowers, too - the scent is much stronger in the evening isn't it? One of the smells I hate is begonia (geranium) leaves. It puts me off having any in the garden. I love the scent of certain roses and honeysuckle

Flowers all smell the same to me.......

• Upvote 1

I hate the smell of lillies I think they are death flowers ,they put them on the bar at the corn mill at Chilwell and it stops me going in the place

Lilies are overpowering.

Echinops Alba is nice, it grows taller than me. Big white thistle like heads which smell of extra sweet carnations and attract loads of butterflies and bees. Easy to grow too.

EchinopsArcticGlow.jpg

MargieH and me seem to have similar tastes in flower smells. I have a wallflower in partial flowering mode in my polytunnel just now. It is that which prompted me start this thread. I sat inhaling its scent yesterday afternoon. I also have some Pinks/Carnations (I don't know the difference, can anyone help?) flowering in the tunnel just now.

• Upvote 1

I think the 'pinks' I referred to are dianthus. They have shorter stems than carnations. I am not keen on the latter as they often have to be staked

Few of my favorites mentioned here, love lavender, honeysuckle, magnolia to name a few, but I hate artificial ones like those shops in shopping centers that sell soaps and smelly oils and things, when you walk past the smells are overpowering, to me anyway.

Here in oz the Jacaranda tree in full bloom smells beautiful, they are a picture just now.

One of my daughters bought a scented oil burner thing, gives me instant asthma attack ! horrible things.

• Upvote 1

So many, lavender and rosemary always have a place in my garden wherever I go, (along with many other herbs - can't resist running my hands over lemon balm) honeysuckle and roses, and now I have jasmine too which brings back many memories for me of my time out in Oman, but my all time favourite has to be freesia, so delicate and such a beautiful flower too.

Just found this, which makes it all as clear s mud:

"The question often asked is, what is the difference between pinks and carnations? And the answer is genetics. Nearly all modern hybrid Pinks have D. caryophyllus in their ancestry, together with D. plumarius, D. chinensis and D. gratianopolitanus, but the main distinctions are the blue grey foliage, narrow leaves, strong constitution, ease of cultivation and frequently the presence of a darker âeye.â Several centuries of breeding have produced an astonishing range of flower hues and patterns, but the one characteristic in both pinks and carnations that is easiest to lose is that of perfume. There are few modern carnations available, whether spray, standard or pot, where perfume has been retained. The modern hybrid pinks and dianthus available have been specifically selected to retain the spicy fragrance for which they have always been renowned. "

[http://www.theflowerexpert.com]

PS The odd accents and spellings are as per article.

The stems of what I call 'pinks' are only about 6 inches long, but carnations have stems up to 18 inches, and the flowers are bigger