Friends Reunited Website To Close

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Frilly Bloomers and Basques and the women can wear what they like!

Friends Reunited served a purpose for me as I caught up with a lot of school friends and work colleagues and am still in touch with them, in fact several of us meet 2 or 3 times a year for a meal and

When i was a single parent,did'nt mind Shopping,enjoyed Cooking for the Kids mostly tinned Ravioli,tinned taters,tinned Peas,and owt else tinned.Kids helped with the cleaning,did'nt Garden,definatly d

Friends Reunited served a purpose for me as I caught up with a lot of school friends and work colleagues and am still in touch with them, in fact several of us meet 2 or 3 times a year for a meal and catch-up. FR was invaluable for me to be fair because I'd left Nottingham in 1975 and had only kept in touch with a couple of old friends.

The site lost its' appeal somewhat when they started charging to join, think it was only £5 a year but people just didn't want to fork out.

By that time old school friends had been found again, first-loves rekindled, marriages wrecked ........ Friends Reunited had a lot to answer for !!

• Upvote 5

Friends Reunited had a lot to answer for !!

As does Facebook according to some divorce lawyers. :)

Friends Reunited served a purpose for a while, just as Facebook does now. The fact that the latter is open to abuse and can be mundane is outweighed for me by being able to keep in touch with, on a community basis, genuine friends outwith Nottingham which would prove difficult otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Friends Reunited served it's purpose for me. Was reunited with John. We got married two years later :jumping:

• Upvote 4

The biggest mistake Pankhurst made, was charging for membership, he should have attracted advertisers and pushed for global membership, he could have beat FB.

He made a second major error, the forum was free, then he made it "full membership" only, no idea how many members he lost, I'd hazard hundreds of thousands. Once he sold it to ITV, the writing was on the wall, they revamped the site, set up another forum site, which was over moderated.

But when ITV closed that down and installed a fairly unnavigable site in it's place, many left forever. Now I see it's costing the owners to keep it running...

Anyway, many of Nottstalgia early members came from the old FR site, so we have them to thank for our success.

As Lizzie says it was very useful when it first came out (and was free ! ). Good to see what happened to your classmates .

I had contact with 3 or 4 ex Gedling school mates from it but that gradually dwindled to just one , who I now just exchange birthday greetings with .

Shame if all that info will be lost .

The only thing free was the forum section, the rest cost you a fiver each year, then Pankhurst had the "brilliant" idea of making the forum full members only. Yes you could join for free, but very limited resources.

He dropped the forum and started Friends Reunited Connections which was free, but that didn't last long before it folded, probably costing too much to moderate. Then the last FR was started up at the same time as FRC closed it's doors, was far too complicated for many members who weren't computer/internet "savvy". So a lot drifted away to FB and Twitter.

it was on FR that Bazzer contacted my sister; who in turn contacted me, we discovered we had gone through school in the same class. he was in my class all through school, form G1. He introduced me to Nottsalgia and also put our Gedling Class photo on here which is on Gedling School Class Photo 62/3 page three.

So I have FR to thank for finding Nottstalgia and all you lovely cyber friends. I haven't been on FR for a few years as it got to complicated and by then I had found NS and it turned out to be far more interesting. I don't know what happened to Bazzer; he hasn't been on for a while?

I did have an account on FR; I wonder what will happen to all my messages (Quite a few, some were from friends who have since sadly passed away)and all my personal information as well !

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4897&page=3

• Upvote 1

Remembered my password and went and had a geek at the Friendsreunited site .

In my leaving year it seems to have dwindled down to about 5 names .

The message board is jumbled up with mainly messages from school years that left decades after us, so not at all interesting .

Far more info on the schools thread on here .

Yep!!! Friends United caused me problems, my ex met an old school friend at a school reunion in Nottingham. Every time she said she was going to visit her Mum & Dad , she was meeting this bloke she went to school with, part of the time. I found out after a couple of years. The whole situation ripped me apart, but I survived it all and now have been on my own since 2010.

I only ever once got in touch with an ex-schoolmate and wish I'd never bothered, he'd had such a rotten time of it I nearly ended up depressed.

now have been on my own since 2010.

Best way to be mate, nobody getting in your head, just do as you want when you want. I have four pals with the same attitude towards relationships and we have a ball.

• Upvote 1

#.16.

Thats alright if you don't mind doing your own shopping, cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, gardening, painting & decorating plus a myriad of other tasks women do for us !

Sat on both sides of the fence mesen.

I Was a single parent for nearly 3 years in the early 80s,and to be honest was quite happy,did what I want,went where I like,bit of dating etc,........then I gave it all up for Love again,and still do what I want,go where I like,.......within reason, lol.

Whatever your situation just crack on with life,we pass this way but once.........be happy

• Upvote 2

#.16.

Thats alright if you don't mind doing your own shopping, cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, gardening, painting & decorating plus a myriad of other tasks women do for us !

I've been doing all that myself for years anyway, I've found it's best not to rely on anyone but yourself. When I became single again my mother schooled me in the art of housework and ironing etc. The rest I did myself in any case and all my mates are the same.

I have to admit stuff like decorating though, I pay someone to do that these days, I'd rather be in work earning.

When i was a single parent,did'nt mind Shopping,enjoyed Cooking for the Kids mostly tinned Ravioli,tinned taters,tinned Peas,and owt else tinned.Kids helped with the cleaning,did'nt Garden,definatly did'nt decorate,but the best was wash night,used to get p.....d while using a little washer called 'Tina',had a Lady come in once a week and do me Ironing,

All thru this i still worked,did'nt even know about any benefits and did'nt want to,my kids were brilliant and mucked in mostly......lol.

• Upvote 5

I'm with you Catfan. As a member of the involuntarily unspoused for over two years when my first wife died. It taught me a lot of lessons. I could manage o-k. I could cook, clean, wash etc. Had a great Black Lab for company, but I couldn't iron to save my life. I remember trying to iron a white shirt at 11.30 one Saturday night. Burnt a hole in it. Literally sat down and bawled, I'd just about had it.

Yes, spouses sometimes get on each others nerves, but I think i prefer that to going it alone.

• Upvote 3

I was going to go on FR, to copy some of my photo's, messages etc, but all I get is a Full Page message stating....Your Connection is not Private. Hackers may be trying to steal my passwords, information etc. Not sure what to do. Has any body had the same when they try to get on FR?