Not sure if anyone saw the photographs shown on East Midlands today the other evening.

They were taken by a student on Christmas Day morning and with no people or cars about they made the city centre look like a ghost town.

I can only assume that everyone was busy at home unwrapping presents or still in bed?

The photographer was able to take one shot standing in the middle of the usually very busy road that passes the bottom end of Broad Marsh bus station (forgotten the name?)

A little like Nottingham on Sundays in the 50's when most shops were usually closed on that day!  

• Upvote 1

Probably the same in Nottingham..........but was shocked if not a little angry.......to find so many shops open on Christmas Day in Peterborough,...how can I put this?.......well only one way.........they were of a foreign persuasion...........just don't seem right............when in Rome etc.....think its called respect.............

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Ben,They'd still behave the same in Rome mate,as you say no respect for the native people or the country

Rog

• Upvote 1

There  is always some silly bu66er that wants to shop 24/7 no matter what that keeps them open. I don't know how some of them would have survived in the days when there was no late night shopping and no Sunday opening.   

• Upvote 1

Bleddy shops should still close on Sundays...........you just bought what you wanted Saturday.............I remember when New years day was not a bank holiday....even tho we all had hangovers we had to go to work..........about 1968 I had to open a shop in Yaxley nr Peterborough travelled from Nottingham with bad hangover,got there 10 minutes late,and as luck would have it area Manager was stood outside,got a right telling off.......and the daft thing was he was a Scotsman..........never thought he'd be there early on New Years Day...........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I'm sure I remember in about 1959 there was still a postal delivery on Christmas Day. Or have I got it wrong?

I remember my mother opening our shop on Blue Bell Hill Road on Christmas Day for a few hours either that year or the following year (probably both).  I know when we moved to the shop in Sherwood she would always open on a Sunday - I think from 10am until 4pm - because there would be a bit of custom then. That was in the days when supermarkets were closed on Sundays.

You are correct, MI, there was a Christmas morning delivery. One of our neighbours on Bobbers Mill Road always did some seasonal part time work at the sorting office in the lead up to Christmas. She went in on Christmas morning and on her way home would put her family's card through our letterbox...not 3 weeks before as seems the case now!  I think Christmas day delivery continued into the 1960s.

• Like 1

Don't know about the cities in Italy but in the village and I imagine in all the villages here Sunday opening is quite normal and as far as I know its always been like that. Closing day is Monday all day but food and bread shops are open only in the mornings. ( Mondays) 

Probably arises from the fact that most provisions are better fresh than a day old. It took a while to adjust to these hours and the fact that summer and winter have different opening hours. All shops close at lunch time not for just an hour but 2 1/2 hrs and in the summer do not open until 4.30 and stay open until 8.00 or 7.30. Supermarkets in this area have only been around for about 15-20 yrs.

Different life altogether here, but you get used to it.

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You are correct, MI, there was a Christmas morning delivery. One of our neighbours on Bobbers Mill Road always did some seasonal part time work at the sorting office in the lead up to Christmas. She went in on Christmas morning and on her way home would put her family's card through our letterbox...not 3 weeks before as seems the case now!  I think Christmas day delivery continued into the 1960s.

3 weeks Jill! We have received some in November and when do the lights go up???. I say to my friends Christmas starts in mid December but get called a miserable sod.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've had a Christmas card in October before now. My friend in New Zealand had obviously sent her cards by surface mail, and they got chucked into the airmail sack.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the miserable sods' club, nnsc! I virtually ignore it completely. The way things are going, it will be one long choccy-egg-red-heart-firework-Santa-figgy-pudding-general-pile-of-tasteless-tat-fest!

Count me out!  :angry:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Come on then why's no one posted the link from the Nottingham Post ..... Yawn!!! That's they put up every xmas? year in year out, of a deserted Nottingham City Centre? Off course it's deserted you fool, it's Christmas Day, all the shops are shut, got rocks in your head, or what? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cities deserted on Christmas day, on the news there was an item on sales on Boxing day, it appears some "people" have been inline waiting for the shops to open since 4 oclock. Are they normal or is it me being a miserable old git.

• Like 1

London? Where in Nottingham is that @jonab? I have a youth that's brought the seat next to me at the city ground, travels all the way from Rochester on his own, how can he hate D***y? Nottingham for Nottingham folk that's what I say, I wouldn't let them in, none of them, go find your own club. 

• Like 1

We went from Basford to Toton yesterday lunchtime, through Broxtowe, Strelley and Bilborough,  and EVERY Nisa, Premier, McColls , and a Polish shop was open on the way. NINE in all. It was just like a normal day. Disgusting !

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

We went from Basford to Toton yesterday lunchtime, through Broxtowe, Strelley and Bilborough,  and EVERY Nisa, Premier, McColls , and a Polish shop was open on the way. NINE in all. It was just like a normal day. Disgusting !

Perhaps to the proprietors of many of those establishments it was a normal day, multi-cultural society and all... ;)

• Like 1