Whatever happened to......?

What as happened to our beautiful City??? 

Was once Queen of the Midlands

One of the best shopping places in town

Reputation  of having some of the prettyist girls in England. 

3 dance Halls 

nightclubs 

I am sure some members  can add to the list

• Like 1
  • Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

It is a pity that DJBrenton was not given counter arguments based on facts and research. It is called debate. He was just told to 'shut up' either because there was no counter arguments or because he

It was once said that 'Nottingham had five girls to every man'. I'm still looking for the bloke with my other four !!

• Like 1

Putting the shoe on the other foot think how difficult it was for us females. History says it’s down to all the ladies employed in the lace industry. They must have had a plethora of female children as well between them. 

5 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

The other four are still looking for you Beekay.

Yes Ian, and they're probably all coppers !

• Like 1

The Nottingham I remember from before I moved away was a vibrant place, weekends were spent at pubs and them nightclubs. It could get a bit rowdy when pubs/nightclubs turned out with the occasional fist fight but mostly it was good natured.
Saturday afternoon was for going round the shops (being seen), Birdcage, Chelsea Girl and C&A ( where you could get a skirt for 50p at one point). Coffee at the Kardoma (is that how you spell it) them home to get ready for the evening. I can remember many late Saturday nights in the Market Square where someone usually ended up in one of the fountains, catching the last bus (sometimes with singing), the endless queue round the square for a taxi or even walking home. 
Don’t go into Nottingham much now, find it a bit depressing to be honest. It seems rundown, a lot of homeless sleepers and don’t get me started about the soulless Market Square. Not the City it once was.

I moved back to the area where I grew up, I’m near one of the houses my mum and dad lived in with us all. Although it is possibly classed as a “rough” area where I am is quiet, friendly neighbours but looks a bit rundown and untidy, possibly like a lot of other estates at the moment. Don’t know what it will be like once the cutbacks are implemented by the Council it doesn’t look like they do much anyway, except mess up Beechdale Road with a cycle lane changing a dual carriageway into a 2 lane road which it seems no one wanted and everyone is complaining about.

Still I am doing one or two improvements to my house this year and then hope to sell next year, it is a bit too big for me now so am hoping to downsize. 

• Like 6

I used to love Chelsea Girl. It was one of the few shops where I could find clothes to fit me in the 70s. I was between sizes 6 and 8 then. I'll never be that thin again..not with thyroid issues.  Then there were all the shoe shops on Long Row. At sale time, all the tiny sizes (that's me again) were marked down to ridiculous prices. For years, I had boxes of shoes I'd never worn in my wardrobe. High heels. Can't wear those now. Wallis did small sizes, too. I had racks of suits from there for work.  Like a certain Mr Mayfield, I rarely get dressed up now. I think you grow out of it! :rolleyes:

I think you summed up life in Nottingham Stavgirl not only Nottm. but many places around the world the same here in Regina where i live the down downtown area is nothing like it was when i came here in 1970 lots of homeless people beggars and thieves. Lived at Nuthall spent many great weekends down Nottm. cinemas Palais Dungeon Club, not a care in the world the only thing i worried about was not to miss the last bus home great times never to be seen again sadly.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

The Nottingham I remember from before I moved away was a vibrant place, weekends were spent at pubs and them nightclubs. It could get a bit rowdy when pubs/nightclubs turned out with the occasional fist fight but mostly it was good natured.
Saturday afternoon was for going round the shops (being seen), Birdcage, Chelsea Girl and C&A ( where you could get a skirt for 50p at one point). Coffee at the Kardoma (is that how you spell it) them home to get ready for the evening. I can remember many late Saturday nights in the Market Square where someone usually ended up in one of the fountains, catching the last bus (sometimes with singing), the endless queue round the square for a taxi or even walking home. 

Very similar to my memories, though I didn't buy skirts or anything else from Chelsea Girl.. I frequented shops like 'Jeff's' for jeans 'Lord Jeffrey' for slightly more formal stuff and assorted Army Surplus stores where  ex-Army white 'Arctic' smocks, assorted old jackets and stuff got 're-purposed'.  I was never either mod, or rocker or hippy and probably best described as 'beat', wearing jeans, old suede or cord jackets and so on.

Used to love a 'Russian' Lemon Tea from the Kardomah.. or 'KD' as we called it. Evenings were in assorted 'locals' from Mon to Weds, but the weekend often started on Thursday evening with a trip further afield, then Friday, Saturday and Sunday in one or other of the Boat Clubs, or the Beachcomber..depending who was on...

That all pretty much stopped when I started DJing and ended up glued to the 360 Club, Carlton Hotel, Robinson's Hill, 76 Club in Burton and numerous 'one off' bookings.

Fun while it lasted...

• Like 1

Talking of catching the last bus for home took me right back to c.1962/63 and a bit of 64. When I were a conductor out of Bilborough. I used to love being on lates and  sitting outside Bejam/Brentford nylons on what is now Maid Marion way. The 16/16A/32 at one stop and 30/62 at the other. When sitting at the stop unti departure time, you could always guarantee there would be a couple snogging at the wall instead boarding the bus. Some folks could never make up their mind which one would leave first so stood in between stops. Time to go and I would stamp out my fag and jump on the platform and ring the bell . Off we trundled and inevitably, some 'herbert' would drop his girl and run after the bus, on one occasion yelling 'ang on ya Ba**ard'. Looking back, I wonder how many of you lot missed my bus? If so, I'm sorry, but it's not my fault if you were preoccupied. Loved it in summer, with warm nights but bloody murder in winter. "OWD TIGHT"!!!

• Like 2

I have a few to remember. Etam, Biba, Bus Stop, C&A, Image, Fords, Cecil Gee, Paul Smith, Dolcis and Stead & Simpson shoes. I used to spend my Saturday job wages from Boots on the corner of Wheeler Gate and Friar Lane on shoes every week after I’d been to the Flying Horse at lunchtime.

"Whatever happened to"?....All the posters on here. Are they all still in church? Looking at my activity list, only FOUR posts in about 9 hours. Maybe I'll stick another on 'drop one keep one'.

I’ve been busy all day, making use of the good weather. Washing out all day on the line and dry. Been at the allotment planting onions and mending the strawberry bed. Also watching a buzzard and a kite making use of the thermals above. What joy. No such weather now till at least Sunday so back to the charity knitting and housework I guess! 

47 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Maybe they all forgot to adjust their clocks at the weekend, and now they don't know what time it is or where they are.

Kev I’m like that most of the time, let alone when the clocks change. I spoke to the Sheelagh woman on your Midland leaving card at the allotment today and she can’t remember you but said that the print room used to be under the finance “umbrella” which makes sense as she worked in cashiers. Small world eh.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Maybe they all forgot to adjust their clocks at the weekend, and now they don't know what time it is or where they are.

When they change the clocks, I wonder how long it takes the good folks at the Museum of Timekeeping in Upton Hall to change all theirs or don't they bother. I cannot abide a clock that shows the wrong time. You cannot believe how long it takes me to get the clock on the microwave and the wall oven, which are adjacent to each other to show the same time. Surely the people who design wall ovens could make the changing of the time on the clock easier. We put our clocks back on Sunday, darker evenings from then until October. Yah, Boo, Hiss.

90 minutes according  an article on the BBC at the weekend.

Not sure how it keeps going, they only open a few hours on a Fridays

Oz I agree, the simple things to change are easy, wall ovens are a pain in the neck and I can’t abide clocks of any sort being different to other clocks in the house. Maybe because working for an airline, the clocks had to be correct. Always mystified me though what happened between 2359 and 0001 because there never was a 0000 time in aviation.  I watched a programme years ago about changing the clocks in the museum. There is a set way of doing it but it takes ages.

Also, why do microwave clocks gain a minute every so often ?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MRS B said:

Also, why do microwave clocks gain a minute every so often ?

It's from the radiation they leak warping the space time continuum.

10 hours ago, MRS B said:

Always mystified me though what happened between 2359 and 0001 because there never was a 0000 time in aviation.

Daylight saving plays havoc with the Cold Coast Airport at Coolangatta, The main runway cuts through the border of NSW and Queensland which have an hour time difference in summer. The airport runs on Queensland time but if you have a mobile phone the time can change by an hour when walking through the terminal depending whether your phone is pinging from a NSW or a QLD tower