How's your day?

I'll let you know Phil,, some really extrovert dressers in Bulwell mate,,..saw a chap in his 60s yesterday with a Mohican hair cut,,wearing two ear rings,,very nice overcoat with velvet collar and Bovver boots,,pulling a Dog in a Trolley..........and no one batted an eye lid,,........only in Bulwell    lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

A short while ago there was talk of mice here and I didn't really pay much attention, especially on the best way to kill 'em. Mice must read NS and took my lack of response as being vermin friendly. I'm not and will gleefully crucify the little swines who took up residence under my cars bonnet and destroyed the engine cover sound proofing.

I took the car for it's service today and the technician asked if I lived near fields. Strange question I thought. He went on to tell me there was a mouse's nest next to the turbocharger and it had eaten the insulation and attacked the wiring.

Cats can dig up my flowers, birds can crap on the patio but mice eating my car means WAR!       madashell

• Like 5

We live in the middle of fields ( see photo) and when the grass is cut opposite we have to keep our doors closed. Yesterday was walking from one room to another and saw something moving. Not a mouse as I thought but a very large lizard. Wasn't quick enough to get a glass to pick it up. It went behind the fire place so now dont know where it is. Probably it cant find its way out.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Cummerbund? Very 1970’s. Bound to still be there on Monday!

Not at all so. No self-respecting gent would be seen dead in a DJ without a cummerbund. It's even worse than wearing a pre-tied dicky.

Ben, I'd go for it, a cummerbund isn't exclusive to evening wear. Sounds like the Sapeur spirit is alive in Bulwell.

• Like 1

Brew, they are a bloody nuisance when they get in a motor car, a mate of mine had nearly all his motor car electric wires chewed through by the little sods, cost him a fortune Audi A3,  no good putting mouse bait down for them, you need to see the dead body to be sure

P1060514.jpg

Mouse trap under the car bonnet is not practical so I don't know the answer    :mouse::mouse:

Rog

• Like 1

It’s funny you should say that Margie. A few years ago I thought I would lightly tint my greying hair with a touch of brown. I bought a bottle of ‘Just for Men’ light brown and applied it according to the instructions. Unfortunately the telephone rang during the application and whilst taking the call, the dye remained on my head for much longer than necessary. Even ten washes did nothing to remove the colour. The funny thing was the reaction of other people such as the lady in the village shop. She was too polite to say anything but was obviously trying to stifle her giggles. Many people gave me a double take but said nothing. It was back to normal in a few weeks and I’ve not been tempted since. Loads of men of my age obviously dye their hair as I appear to be the only grey in the village. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I gather that the effect of Just For Men on facial hair is far more potent than it is on hair on your head. An acquaintance who tried it ended up with an effect he didn't want!  Personally, I'm pleased to say I have no facial hair, so have never tried it!

2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

a very large lizard. Wasn't quick enough to get a glass to pick it up. It went behind the fire place so now dont know where it is. Probably it cant find its way out.

Is it a lounge lizard?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I gather that the effect of Just For Men on facial hair is far more potent than it is on hair on your head. An acquaintance who tried it ended up with an effect he didn't want!  Personally, I'm pleased to say I have no facial hair, so have never tried it!

I've often been tempted to grow a beard but I don't think I could face the derision!

• Like 1

'Ere you go then Rog.  :biggrin:  It could have been a snakeI  I caught a baby snake in my garage a couple of weeks ago,  just as I got out of the car.  I didn't look for a glass.  I just stepped on the little serpent.  Only thing worries me now is, where is mom and daddy?

Edit.... Don't you mean a Snake in the glass.  I'll get me coat.  

• Like 2

Been to school this afternoon!  It was the launch of the Carlton-le-Willows Salix Society, to incorporate the old Grammar and Technical Grammar Schools, the subsequent Comprehensive School and also old pupils of the present ‘Carlton-le-Willows Academy’.  

The event was well attended by around 150, with ex pupils from 1954 right through to 2011 leavers.  Refreshments were provided, excellent sandwiches and drinks,  a short talk by new committee members and then if we felt so inclined we were able to wander around the school buildings.   The school is in pretty good condition and has been updated to take into account all the new regulations that seem to be necessary these days.  Did I see unisex lavatories?  :Shock: 

I enjoyed catching up with old school friends, they do look a bit old though :biggrin:.  Hopefully we’ll all still be around when the next reunion is organised. 

Going to finish an interesting day now with an Italian meal with friends in Sherwood, the restaurant run by Nonna’s friends.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I've often been tempted to grow a beard but I don't think I could face the derision!

I've had a beard since I was nineteen (now 73). The time wasted shaving hair off my face up until age nineteen made me realise that there was a lot more to life than that.

As for dyeing my beard (or head hair) - that's a total anathema for me. There's nothing wrong with growing old - and allowing others to be able to that you are rather than hiding behind a mask of artificial brown or black wisps of hair and making it obvious you are searching for lost youth.

• Like 1

I thought about you at the reunion today, Lizzie.  I feel really sad I couldn't be there as it would have been so nice to walk round the school with Paul and show him all my old classrooms etc and where we used to play snobs under the stairs or play 'stuck in the  mud' in a side playground.   I'm often walking round the school in my dreams but then  I can't find which classroom I'm supposed to be in...

There  used to be (and probably still is) 2 or 3 steps on the corridor near the changing rooms and we always used to jump down them.   Why I remember that I've no idea!  Who was the 1954 intake pupils who were there I wonder... that was my year.   

I've made myself cry now just thinking about the school.... I loved my time there

• Like 3

Your experience of school was very different from mine, Margie, and I am pleased that it was.

I, too, still dream about The Manning, even though it no longer exists.  Far from trying to find my classroom, I am trying to escape from the place but cannot get out. It usually ends with my confronting the headmistress in her office and shouting, "Look, I'm 55. I have an honours degree and I'm a qualified teacher. You have to let me out of here!"  Ridiculous, I know, but it still happens.

Perhaps the psychologists would say that, somewhere in my subconscious, I feel that I didn't work hard enough, didn't achieve my full potential or some such rubbish. Who knows?

• Like 3

Well I never attended C le W  I used to walk past it along Burton Rd. to my fiance's house on Linden Grove 1963 - 1965.  I didn't have a car so walked there and back every night.  No wonder I was so skinny.  I knew every crack in the sidewalk along there.

Glad ya'll had some good memories.  It brought back a few for me too. :)

4 hours ago, MargieH said:

I thought about you at the reunion today, Lizzie.  I feel really sad I couldn't be there as it would have been so nice to walk round the school with Paul and show him all my old classrooms etc and where we used to play snobs under the stairs or play 'stuck in the  mud' in a side playground.   I'm often walking round the school in my dreams but then  I can't find which classroom I'm supposed to be in...

There  used to be (and probably still is) 2 or 3 steps on the corridor near the changing rooms and we always used to jump down them.   Why I remember that I've no idea!  Who was the 1954 intake pupils who were there I wonder... that was my year.   

I've made myself cry now just thinking about the school.... I loved my time there

Margie, I met and spoke to quite a few of your contemporaries at school.  We were issued with name badges with start years as we arrived, which helped but it was a bit odd to have to keep peering at peoples chests to read their names.  I mentioned your name to a few of the ladies and they either knew you still or remember you from school.  Really sorry but I never got around to making a note of their names for you.  Such a shame you couldn’t make the trip, you would have enjoyed it I’m sure.