How's your day?

Up bright and early, thanks to a 'phone call from the Grand at 5:30 to say they now have cases of covid 19 on the floor my father in law is on, but he is ok and confined to his room. Would I tell his wife?  Why ring at that time? They have a lot of people to contact?

Still, got me onto the Trek an hour or so early. Garden watered, coffee welcome, and treated to the sight of a couple of blackbirds, a thrush (I think) and some sparrows chasing off a stubborn magpie. Do they steal eggs, or something?

• Like 2
  • Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• DJ360

• philmayfield

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

.Nowdays our football teams sign all these players from abroad

Perhaps as part of the restart or post Covid 19  they could limit the number of foreign players in each team to give more of the locals a go and who knows we may even have a core group from one or two clubs that we could build a decent England team around.

• Like 1

Oldphil. Sorry to hear about your F.I.L. . Like my mum positive but assimatic. She is alone in her room. Yesterday we rang to see how she was. She's fine and strong so they say but yesterday through WhatsApp we heard that someone's mum had been taken to hospital ( she was negative) told not to worry etc...she died last night at 8 pm. When we phoned about mum we mentioned that we'd heard an ambulance ( we live near the home) and that a lady had been taken to hospital. They denied it. So now I'm waiting for my daughter to send me a copy of the messages on WhatsApp. Then we'll see if the mayor will mention it on his daily report. It's not good enough and extremely worrying for us all when we aren't told the truth.

• Upvote 1

We are not lucky at the moment.The front "garden" has been converted but everything is on hold. The soil has been put down , the borders are prepared. The grass should have been laid  last week but with the hot weather the garden centre said the grass he'd prepared for us had scorched and he was waiting to prepare a new lot. So we lost a few days there, so by waiting we said we'd call the pool man to come to open the pool so we didn't have too many people around ( social distancing) then it rained. All arrangements were changed. Grass (new) should have been laid today and pool opened Friday. It's raining again. Can't see anything being done til next week now. I wake up every morning ( thank goodness) and think  " oh dear another day, what can I do today to relieve the boredom" I come up with the same answer, clean, cook, eat tidy up ,eat, jigsaw, eat etc you know the routine. This afternoon when his lesson on PC is finished my eldest grandson wants to come to make some biscuits and cakes. I have so many biscuits and cakes in tins in freezer so think he will get everything we make . Don't think he'll be disappointed though. Usually when any of the grandchildren come down I split the goodies, 1/4 to us and 3/4 to them. He wants to make jam tarts so it'll be a bit different and at least he'll learn to make pastry.

• Like 3

My grandson came down at 5pm all excited to be baking but he had to wait as his dad was with me making cheesecakes. My son wanted the recipe but as it's my own I'm making sure he doesn't give it away. Anyway he wanted to try and make them himself to do takeaways for his clients so we were experimenting in down sizing them. They turned out well but they were too small as we had used what containers we had. Come Stevens turn he made ( under instruction) some peanut butter biscuits. The recipe made a lot of dough and we divided it into 4, we cooked one , put one in the fridge and the other two in the freezer for future days. The one we cooked didn't last 2 minutes. I put the hot tray onto the pastry board and while my back was turned to get a spatula , two had already gone. They weren't even cold but they were good. As it was near to our dinner tonight I said let's cook the other one tomorrow and then we'll make something else. Problem is I'm short on butter and white sugar. Still we can make some pastry for jam tarts and some scones. He's delighted and can't wait for tomorrow to come.I told him he's got to learn how to make pastry properly.smile2

• The freezer is starting to put on weight. I still have hot cross buns in there.
  • Like 3

Hey NonnaB, how about instead of overloading your freezer with biscuits and cake, you lob some over this direction, in the form of emergency red cross parcels for this isolated, exiled nostalgian down in Sussex land.  thumbsup

• Like 2

NonnaB if  it looks good, taste Good then your grandson's is new style of pastry will do down in history, it would be nice if we could all get over to you , and have a taste of this pastry.

Hope you are all well.

That's  it Mary1947! You've  cracked it. Let's us all organize a Charabanc  party and descend on NonnaB for biscuit and cake party. We can sit outside the gates and if we're very good she may pass us a cup of tea.

Maybe followed by pasta and chips, before we head back home. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Maybe followed by pasta and chips, before we head back home. 

;) A true gourmet, much like myself.....  :laugh:

Anyway... Thanks for reminding me that I have a jar of genuine Italian Tapenade at the back of the cupboard.  I'll see if I can use it to rustle up summat fer lunch.  Assuming we've got enough chips...

In other news. I planted another row of random spuds from the storecupboard yesterday.  Today I plan to clear the rest of my overgrown little veggie patch and see what else I can get to grow from years old seed.

Update:  The 'Genuine Italian Tapenade' which was part of a gift from my Daughter..turned out to be no more than pureed olives...and very salty.  A quick Google showed that ProvencaleTapenade can contain many other ingredients including Garlic, Capers, Chillies, herbs and so on.   Another site suggested adding Tapenade to Hummus.  So, I made a small batch of my usual Hummus and added about ten percent of the Tapenade and a few capers.  I left out the usual salt as the Tapenade is very salty.  Success!  A nice twist on my usual Hummus.

52 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Oh dear Col., and I  allus thought Tapenade was a fizzy citrus drink you got from the tap.:wacko:

you're thinking of Tapoline, you know BK.  Like Brylcreme, we used to do our 'air with it.

21 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

That's cos yo woz dragged up in 50s Nottingham...and very refreshing too! Let's hear more about it! ;)

Would you be extracting the urine by any chance? Jill Sparrow. Taking advantage of a yokel. :blink:

I was fascinated to learn that you were at school with my sister in law, after I  joined NS.

Just had a Google walk down Kennington road and St. Paul's street, Radford. Totally unrecognisable. That's  what I  remarked earlier, I know bugger all about Nottingham now. I've  acquired quite a bit of knowledge re  nottm.

If it wornt for you lot, I'd be in blissful ignorance. But I like to think I have friends all over.

Her name before marriage was Yvonne Perry. Don't know when you were at school, but she is now coming up to 65 this year. That would, I think, put her in the mid 1960s. I know she used to come to straight from school, when we live off Valley road. Does that help?

Incidentally,  she was at school a couple of years below my cousin, her name was Yvonne King.

If she is 65 this year, she is older than myself and would have been 2 or 3 years ahead of me, depending on when her birthday falls. I commenced Manning in September 1969, so she could have been in either the 3rd or 4th forms but we would certainly have been there at the same time.  I don't recall the name Perry.  There was a King but I think her name was Deborah. Again, older than myself.

I haven’t posted much recently, every day seems much like another except for the highlight of getting a delivery slot, 2 Iceland and 1 Asda to date. However this morning Kai and I had a bit of excitement.  
We had our usual walk, had breakfast and I started to clean up. I leave my back door open so Kai can wander in and out as he wants. I was in the front room hoovering and then went into kitchen when I heard a kerfuffle in my side room off the kitchen. (Bit of background the male wood pigeon had been chasing the female around my garden, didnt know they could run so fast).

Anyway back to the kerfuffle, I could hear things being knocked about and thought Kai might be having a fit or something. When I went into the room there was a wood pigeon throwing itself at the window trying to get out and Kai trying to get at the wood pigeon, it was chaos (spelling?). 
I got Kai into the kitchen and got a towel to throw over the wood pigeon so I could get it out the open door. I didn’t realise how big this pigeon was, it was built like Lennox Louis, would have fed the whole street, the beak looked a bit scary as well.  Looking at my hand towel I realised it was slightly inadequate and had visions of losing a finger. Anyway I managed to somehow get the bird onto the floor to stop it hurling itself at the window so it didn’t break its neck or my window. 
I dropped the towel over it to try and calm it down a bit and we both took a breather. It then emerged from under the towel and proceeded to throw itself at the half of the french door that was open, unfortunately it was behind the door so I would have to guide it round so it could get out. I managed to do this but it ran past the opening and proceeded to throw itself against the glass in the other half of the french window that wasn’t open. (Of all the pigeons in Bilborough it seemed I had got the mentally challenged one). 
I sort of wafted the towel at it and it Looked at me as if to say “what the **** are you doing” but eventually got the message and ran thru the open door. It flew up onto my fence and p****d all over it ( at least it didn’t do it in my room) and then flew away.
Turned round to go back into kitchen and the big spider was in the middle of the floor, I swear it was laughing, so I flicked my towel at it and it scuttled off. 
Mental note to oneself get one of the strippy things to go over door when it is open and evict said spider for insolence.  

• Like 6

There are wood pigeons nesting in my garden. They have a permanent abode in a conifer tree. Recently, one of them has been flying into the windows. Makes hell of a racket and the cats jump out of their skins!  I always scoot outside to ensure it hasn't knocked itself unconscious but all seems fine. Just not overendowed with grey matter. Bird brain?  Not that I would use that term. Not with my surname!

Big Bertha is living dangerously!

Busiest day yet on the NHS Volunteer front. Six requests, of which four were just a chat and two requests to collect medication.

Quite good fun showing my Royal Volunteer Service ID to the people controlling the queue at Sainsbury’s and being let in in front of everyone else so that I can get to the pharmacy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Talking about birds, Tuesday was pretty cold here, 20F below average for this time of year, so I lit a fire, every time I opened the wood stove door I was met with loads of smoke pouring out. So yesterday I went on the roof pulled the weather cap off the stove pipe and good grief, some bird had built a nest, at least three charred eggs. Pulled it out and the nest must have been at least 12"  thick down the stovepipe.

Usually in summer we get Northern Cardinals, young males attacking their reflections in the windows.