How's your day?

14 hours ago, philmayfield said:

There were never any recalls for my F Type Jag which went back 8 times in three years. The faults ranged from badly fitting panels, electrical (where it went into limp mode) and oil leaks.

Recalls are usually only issued when a defect is likely to be a safety issue. Recalls can be voluntary of compulsory. However, in the interest of customer goodwill many car manufacturers choose to issue a service alert to their dealer network for minor issues that do not warrant a recall and fix the problem for free. These are often called "silent recalls" or "Technical Service Bulletins" which is why it can be a good idea to take your car to a dealership every so often so it can be checked against outstanding TSB's and any missed recalls. Component and aftermarket manufacturers also issue recalls when their products have a problem and have been sold to both OEM's and repair shops and for replacement by home mechanics.

The current record for the most recalls is held by Takata, an air bag manufacturer from Japan where it was found that that components in the airbag inflator could degrade and when the airbag was triggered it could fire shards of metal into the vehicle. 100 million airbags have been recalled in a campaign which began in 2013. 38 deaths have occurred as a result of these defects.

If you own a car from 2001 on, particularly a Japanese model, other brands have been affected too, it may pay you to check if your car is subject to this recall as official data indicates that 2.2 million cars in the UK have yet to be checked or repaired.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Well I’ve got the old Fergie running sweetly. Haven’t lost my old touch! Now to make a list of parts to improve the cosmetics. I’ll be sorry to see it go but I got chatting to an old chap who had a magnificent 6.2 litre AC Cobra this afternoon in Newark and it’s made me think! 

• Like 2

He who hesitates is lost Phil, go for it

Rog

No, it’s just a pipe dream Rog. My days of fun and pleasure are over. I’ve just been making a shopping list of all the cosmetic bits needed to bring it back to perfection including a fresh coat of paint and £150 should cover it. I might be able to squeeze it into the garage if I do a bit of juggling so I can keep out of the rain.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

What year is the Cobra we had a 427 cu in. Ford engine i a stockcar i 1968 i think the Cobras used that engine as well.

Didn’t ask. It was obviously a replica. It did have a number plate that had AC COB in it. There’s one for sale at Classicwise at nearby Southwell but it’s over £50,000. That’s a lot of money for a toy that sits around most of the year.  The classic car market here is totally static at the moment as is the used car market generally.

The leader of the opposition has just come back from shopping. She has treated me with a Penguin biscuit and a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Biscuit for afternoon tea. Tunnocks Wafer biscuits are exactly as I remember them and I used to love Tunnocks Teacakes and Snowballs. 

Now it comes to answering the biggest chocolate biscuit question of all. Are British Penguin biscuits better than Aussie Arnotts Tim Tams? In a back to back taste test I declare Tim Tams are better. Penguins are longer in length but the chocolate on the Tim Tam to me is smoother, creamier and has more of a chocolate flavour than a Penguin and the biscuit is slightly crunchier.

However, in a blind test with each biscuit cut to disguise the length difference I doubt if many would be able to pick the difference.

• Like 1

Today..so far.. just a bit of internet 'noodling'. I may try to plant out some annual seedlings before it rains.

Yesterday, I cut the grass front and back before taking advantage of about 20 minutes of warm sunshine to plant out 4 tomato plants into their final pots.

When it rains, I may do a bit of 'snagging' in my recently refurbed bathroom.

Life is so thrilling.

39 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

That's nostalgic for a strange reason - a reminder of how the internet and websites looked 12-15 years ago. It's surprising how much web design has progressed and changed over such a short time.

Oz,

Tunnocks chocolate caramel wafers are still one of my favourite treats with a cup of coffee.

I think they've resisted the “make it smaller, charge the same” trend of recent years I'm pleased to say.

Their website records that the chocolate coated caramel wafer was born in 1952 so only two years younger than me.

I've also discovered that they offer a giant chocolate caramel wafer weighing in at 37g vs the standard wafer at 30g.

Must track some of them down pronto.

• Like 2

Mrs Col buys me 6 packs of Tunnocks Tea Cakes.  She leaves them alone as she thinks they are too 'sickly'.

We both love Mr Kipling Cherry Bakewells, but we don't fight over them.

For herself, Mrs Col buys herself all sorts, but especially 'Millionaire's Shortbread Bites'.  I obviously never steal any of those.... ever..:rolleyes:

On 6/12/2024 at 2:30 AM, Oztalgian said:

(where it went into limp mode)

In my opinion, Limp Mode is bloody dangerous.

Mrs Col's little Skoda Fabia went into limp mode when she was half way home from Manchester to here, in the dark, and she got pretty much stuck in the middle of the M6/A580 Junction at Haydock. Fortunately, a young couple spotted her problem and offered to follow her as she very slowly made the last 4 miles home.  She had no idea what was happening.. which didn't help her to know how to cope. The couple made sure she got home then drove off.

Next day, I tried her car.  It would start off obviously 'not right', but driveable..then after about 200 metres would lose all power and be very difficult to keep rolling. Turned out to be a failed injector.. which is not ideal on a 3 cylinder engine.. but I really don't think that limp mode is the answer... Imagine that in the middle of a busy M'way..

Surely an 'Urgent Service Requirement' dashboard message makes more sense?

I wish manufacturers and drivers would stop thinking of limp mode as a 'get you home' feature and consider it more as the ability to get to a place of safety.

Like the so called 'smart' motorways there is a considerable risk of an accident when slow moving cars are in with fast moving traffic, especially at night.

• Like 1

Hosepipe ban next, perhaps the farmers had sprayed the field with dry fertiliser as opposed to liquid spray and need water on it to activate it, 

Rog

I spread granular weed feed and moss kill on my lawn , as it was due to rain later that day and night , it did not. Due to other things I forgot about it , 5 days later I have numerous brown patches all over the lawns , so I am the one who keeps hoping for plenty rain to make the lawn grow again.  

13 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Today..so far.. just a bit of internet 'noodling'. I may try to plant out some annual seedlings before it rains.

Yesterday, I cut the grass front and back before taking advantage of about 20 minutes of warm sunshine to plant out 4 tomato plants into their final pots.

When it rains, I may do a bit of 'snagging' in my recently refurbed bathroom.

Life is so thrilling.

Noodling? Catching catfish by hand or in OZ looking through mullock heaps to find any missed pieces of opal.

I tend to "bimble" around on the internet.

Tesla Model Y is the best-selling car in the world for 2023 having sold 1,223,000 units. I find this surprising because the ones I have looked at had awful build quality, ill-fitting panels with unequal panel gaps, very sparsely painted areas, loose and mismatched colours on interior trim. Tesla Model 3 was the tenth best selling with 508,000 units

Toyota RAV4 came in second with 1,076,000 units, no doubt many of these were the hybrid version. Toyota had 5 of the top 10 best-selling vehicles worldwide.

BYD Auto Co manufacturing only all electric and hybrid vehicles had 3 of the top selling 25 vehicles. Of these 25 vehicles only 12 are available in the UK. Interestingly almost half of the cars sold worldwide are now SUV's and half of them sold in Britain are wider than the standard on street parking bays which are 180cm, the cars with mirrors folded are 180.3cm and 200cm with the mirrors out. I wonder how many don't fit in suburban garages?

The times they are a changing.

Today it's the middle of June, it's persisting down and the heating is on, but it's a great day, in fact it's fantastic! For the first time in a long time I can walk upstairs in one go - yippee. Getting in and out of the car, no problem...

Yesterday I had injections in both knees and the difference is unbelievable, why oh why did I wait so long?

• Like 6