How's your day?

Today I will mostly be doing a bit of plastering above and below the new gas fire.  And while that's drying I'll be shooting into St Helens to have a look at a new opticians, organise an eye test etc.. as I'm well overdue for new specs.

Life is just so exciting.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

It happened to me many years ago. I was taking my wife’s Discovery in for a cracked windscreen replacement. I refuelled at the bottom of Carton Hill and drove all the way to an industrial estate off Queen’s Drive with petrol in the diesel with no problem. It was only when I came to collect it that it was difficult to start. I still had the receipt and discovered my error. Fortunately the main Landrover dealership was just round the corner and they towed it in and fixed it. I think it cost around £200 back then. I must say it ran much better after the system had been flushed! It’s only a mistake you make once in your life.

Surprised at you Rob!  
Roger did that one night at Arnold Sainsburys many years ago, realising his mistake as soon as he pulled out into the main car park.  He left the car there and caught the bus home and got Audi to deal with it.  

Been to Lincoln today with Mrs P for her eye test after the cataract op in August, all good and now waiting for the next appointment at Louth hospital to get her other eye done, one thing I did notice while waiting for her in the city was the amount of foreign accents, as a rough guess I would say they outnumbered the English accent by about ten to one (seriously) Mainly not students but whole families including husbands, wives, grandparents, kids, to be honest I felt like a foreigner myself in my own country, I know this post will ruffle a few feathers but so what 

Rog

• Like 5

I will not admit to doing the same thing, but after leaving Tescos I hurriedly  phoned my son and grandson who worked on my motor for an hour. then after refilling with diesel it worked again ok. I mean how could anyone do that.

I started the day well until I’ve just been hearing the words Her Majesty the Queen.  I’m not ready to hear that yet (probably never will be ready actually)  C is possibly a nice enough person but she’s not my queen.     Of course it doesn't matter what I think but just wanted to put my feelings down in writing ….

• Like 4

I find the whole thing confusing. Charles, to me, will always be Prince of Wales and Elizabeth II will always be the Queen. Philip will always be Duke of Edinburgh. I suppose it's because most of us have never known anything else. If anyone mentions King Charles, in my mind, I see the tryptich portrait of Charles I.

• Like 2

Charles...ah yes. He was the little lad whose image appeared on National Savings Stamps when I was a child and his sister, Anne, appeared on those stamps of a slightly lesser value.  I wonder what happened to those children?  My mother could never get used to Charles being Prince of Wales. To her, that was always Edward, later Duke of Windsor.  I suppose, it's what you've grown up with.

• Like 1

I believe she (Camilla) was styled 'Queen Consort' from the point when Liz II died and Charles III became king, which incidentally was apparently in line with Liz IIs wishes.

From Charles and Camilla's Coronation Camilla became 'Her Majesty the Queen.'  It's not clear whether that change was also in line with LizIIs wishes.

It's all here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Queen_Camilla

14 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

He was the little lad whose image appeared on National Savings Stamps when I was a child and his sister, Anne, appeared on those stamps of a slightly lesser value. 

Indeed, I had a couple of those, but I also seem to recall one with a Union Flag on it, which means I'm now going to have to research that before I can get on with doing something useful with the day...:mellow:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem%26g2_

There you go.. though I can't find info on date(s) of issue etc.

51 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Charles...ah yes. He was the little lad whose image appeared on National Savings Stamps when I was a child and his sister, Anne, appeared on those stamps of a slightly lesser value. 

I remember those stamps in my days at Infants & Junior School. My parents gave  6d per week for a stamp, and by the end of the school year I had the massive sum of £1.

https://shorturl.at/bcdDH

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I also seem to recall one with a Union Flag on it,

How refreshing to hear someone refer correctly to the Union Flag. It's only a Jack when flown on board ship...as my father (who served in the Navy) was frequently pointing out.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

How refreshing to hear someone refer correctly to the Union Flag. It's only a Jack when flown on board ship...as my father (who served in the Navy) was frequently pointing out.

Of course Jill.. I wasn't a Boy Scout for nothing...:rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My father was a sea scout ....in Beeston!! :wacko:

Yep.. Lots of call for adolescent lads with nautical skills in Beeston.. what with the open ocean being so close an' all.

Of course he would be too old to feature in the St George's day parades I went to in the early 60s, but I wonder if, like his successors, he marched the streets of Nottingham on what amounted to a glorified Church Parade, armed to the teeth with knives and  axes hanging from his belt? :Shock: