How's your day?

We have big cats wanderinf our neighbourhood, as does everyone down here. Bobcats,  they are beautful.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

@plantfit, I see from your prevoius post, 12 hours ago that you went to Lincoln to have a vhs tape of steam engines converted to dvd. Not sure if you would be interested, but I have four vhs tapes of steam engines that I would be delighted to put on a dvd for you. If memory serves me correct, I managed to get all four tapes on to one disc. I'll post this and go and check out the titles for you in the meantime. I'm pretty sure at least one involves "Flying Scotsman"4472, as she was.

• Like 1

Yes please Barrie, let me have details, costs, postage etc via PM

Rog

3 hours ago, katyjay said:

We have big cats wanderinf our neighbourhood, as does everyone down here. Bobcats,  they are beautful.

Viewed from here they are, not too sure about finding one on the patio

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Yes please Barrie, let me have details, costs, postage etc via PM

Rog

There'll be no charge mate, glad to do it. Once Iv'e done it, I"ll request an address via pm.

Just spent all afternoon recording ambient relaxation music for mp3. B.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, very decent of you

Rog

@plantfit, Rog, just finished having a looksee. The titles are as follows...

1. Settle and Carlisle Rly. 30mn.

2. Ffestiniog Rly.125 years. 60mn.

3. Flying Scotsman in Australia. 60mn.

4. 3801 A Legend in Steam. 45mn.

5. A Steam Train Passes By. 60mn.

6. Severn Valley Rly.   30mn.

7. 'Snowed In At Bleath Gill'. 10mn.

With your approval, I'll set up and get on, in the morning. B.

4 hours ago, Beekay said:

3. Flying Scotsman in Australia. 60mn.

I was lucky enough to see the Flying Scotsman in 1989 when it did a parallel run with Australia's iconic steam engine 3801 in the Hunter Valley NSW. During its trial runs in 1998 it came past on the railway line that was close to our house on the southern outskirts of Sydney on a run down to Port Kembla. The lineside and local stations were packed by rail enthusiasts to see her come by. Here she is seen double heading with 3801 (Photo from East Coast Heritage Rail) 

Scotsman.jpg 

• Like 2
On 3/6/2024 at 12:25 PM, DAVIDW said:

@DJ360 Similar story to Beekay's above and I know its not Liverpool but I'm on a genealogy board, trying to help a Danish chap find any relations to a recently deceased, 1960s  Manchester club DJ called Dave Booth (born 1942). He billed himself as "Englands top soul DJ".

Hi David,

I asked around but got no feedback at all.  Picko even does a bit of work in a studio in Manchester, creating jingles and stuff, but he can't find anything either. Sorry.

• Like 1

I've always liked steam engines, especially when they were still the main form of power in Britain, but I have too many interests for me to be more than a 'casual' observer so.. Question for our more knowledgeable railway enthusiasts.

When locomotives are 'double heading'...how are the throttles/regulators controlled and equalised, so that the locos dont end up pushing, or pulling each other?

34 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

When locomotives are 'double heading'...how are the throttles/regulators controlled and equalised, so that the locos dont end up pushing, or pulling each other?

Steam engines "double heading" relies on the skills of the driver as each engine is controlled separately. The front loco leads the train with its crew setting the speed and operating the brakes. The crews communicate via the whistle on the lead loco with pre-arranged signals.

Diesel or electric trains a coupled electrically so there only needs to be a crew in the first engine

• Like 1

The Settle to Carlisle railway has just been voted the most scenic in Europe. My brother had a share in it at one time.

17 hours ago, Beekay said:

With your approval, I'll set up and get on, in the morning. B.

Yes please Barrie, sounds great

Rog

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Hi David,

I asked around but got no feedback at all.  

@DJ360 Thanks for asking for me , really appreciate it.

Since posting my previous message , I joined a FB page for Newton Heath and got a fair bit of info on him . It confirms that we had the right parents for him but unfortunately still no closer to finding any living relatives . 

Also confirms what I suspected in that he worked with Jimmy Savile and his sidekick Ray Teret !  

Indeed with information from that FB page found an article and photo of him in a Manchester paper from 1965 where along with Savile , they were organising outings for crippled handicapped children !

Whether Dave moved abroad to get away from JS and his cohorts who knows ???

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, MRS B said:

The Settle to Carlisle railway has just been voted the most scenic in Europe.

The Ribblehead Viaduct is a magnificent structure, to stand underneath it and look up is awe inspiring.

When we were there we also went to see the church at Chapel-Le-Dale where there is a memorial to the railway workers.

Records at the church indicate that there are over 200 burials of men, women and children who died during the construction. 

• Like 1

Have you noticed how many people today seem to want a confrontation especially over Parking.........?

Yesterday i went to my local supermarket ..which is always very busy and difficult to Park......often see people arguing over Parking.......

Well yesterday i thought it was my turn.to be 'got at''.......the only space i found had a large 4x4 parked at least a foot into the space i decided on....Managed to squeeze in but left myself no room to open my door....or the 4x4 owners........

Without looking for a confrontation i decided to wait until the 4x4 owners return....when i would pull forward to let them out........i was in no hurry and thought i would make a couple of Text calls..........after only a couple of minutes the owner a middle aged lady  returned.........the conversation went............

Lady........what a silly place to Park....

Me..........Good morning...yes i know;; there was nowhere else.......

Lady.......Well are you 'Shifting' it then?

Me........Ofcourse Madam..........by the way i must ask...''where did you get that lovely Tan?

Lady....(looking a bit 'Dumbfounded).......On a cruise in the 'Carribean'' (sp)

Me.......Love to have gone with you....perhaps next time........(..at that i pulled forward to let her out..)....

Lady  ..........As she pulled out)  Lovely parking in your space....we must do it again sometime.......(Then drove off giving me a wave)

Just goes to show a possible poor encounter.....can turn out Nice

• Like 5

You should have worked in customer services Ben. I did a year working for a local council which had quite a lot of rundown areas and rundown people I hasten to add. I always took it as a challenge to calmly turn a negative into a positive and usually it worked. Everyone is happy then. Well done you!

• Like 2

Same happened to me ben someone with a big 4×4 had parked almost two feet into my space i could not climb over the console in my car because of hip and back issues so i opened the drivers door pushed the start button to put the ignition on held the brake pedal down with my lefft hand and put the car into neutral and pushed it back enough so i could get in what a work out at least you should have had a 'dance duck'.

• Like 1

Don't shatter the poor man illusions Phil.

Rather like the sound of a fridge named after me.

Iv'e got a Bekay electric cooker, ( but not used since getting me air fryers ).

• Like 1

Never seem to use our air fryer very much other than warming my croissants in the morning. We did have fish and chips last night though. Oven chips and battered cod from the supermarket. Far better and cheaper than any chip shop fish and chips we’ve had recently.

Ive got a cheese named after me. Sweet, nutty and creamy apparently.

• Like 1

Not Epoisses, is it?  Washed in brandy. Rather whiffy. Epoisses might be your middle name, although it's French so perhaps not :wacko:. Best baked and used as a dip. Whatever happened to fondue sets?

It’s called Mayfield. A Swiss cheese similar to Emmental, made in Sussex. I’ve only been to Switzerland once and that was on a car journey from Worms to Geneva. I recollect being spreadeagled over the bonnet of the car whilst the Swiss police frisked me so I refuse to eat their cheeses.