DJ360

How's your day?

NewBasfordlad    2,302

Glad you asked, there is so much carp out there.

There several manufacturers that have a good reputation and some not to touch with a very long barge pole.

Worcester Green Star are expensive but very good I have one myself which should tell a story, but I am sure on their guarantees at this time I will check for you. Found it extended to 7 years as of this year if debris filters fitted.

Baxi are good and are offering 7 to 10 year guarantees dependant on the model.

There are other good ones out there but these two companies offer great service with their own dedicated service engineers should things go wrong a must with modern combi boilers as are long guarantees. Some companies offer a guarantee but then sub-contract their repairs out which means you get the local plumber as and when.

Which magazine did an article where they estimated that over a 10 year life cycle it would cost an estimated £1000 for repairs on top of the purchase price.

Do you have an existing combi fitted or is this a first? It can make a big difference in the cost of installation. If we could work out a spec for you, you could then ask for quotes to produce that spec.

One thing to remember Jill ..........Gas Safe registration does not mean good plumber, all it means they should be safe to work on gas. If you can get someone by recommendation so much the better.

Finally where about do you live in Derby's

Ask any question you like and I will try to help.

DJ360    2,280

I had a Baxi fitted around 2006.  105HE I think.  Cost including installation was about £1300.  I thought it was a bit of a cheapie, but it has turned out to be pretty reliable to the extent that I now think it owes me nothing. A single leak on the  Central Heating feed, which isn't the boiler's fault.  Fixed it myself.  A problem with a diaphragm of some sort.  Fixed by the installer.

Col

Jill Sparrow    3,634
11 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

One thing to remember Jill ..........Gas Safe registration does not mean good plumber, all it means they should be safe to work on gas. If you can get someone by recommendation so much the better.

Many thanks for your comments, NBL. I've had a couple of firms recommended, both Derbyshire Trusted Trader and  Checkatrade registered. One prefers to install Baxi, citing their reliability and 7 or 10 year warranty. I admit, I was leaning towards Worcester Bosch as some friends have just had a Greenstar installed and are more than happy with it.

I have a 16 year old combi which is a gas guzzler and lives in the bathroom airing cupboard. I want to get rid of the cupboard to free up space and I'm told you can't have a combi in a bathroom unless its in a cupboard? I'd thought of resiting the new one directly below, in the kitchen and wondered about floor standing models but these only seem to be geared to commercial use these days.

As there's only me here most of the time, I don't need a boiler with a huge capacity. Since I've got a Clearview multi fuel stove, I don't even need the radiators much in winter either.

Your thoughts on which boilers might be suitable would be welcome for comparison with what the Trusted Traders have to say when they come round!

Many thanks again.

Chulla    4,135

Our bungalow was built in 1972 and a Glow worm boiler provided hot water and central heating. And it still does. Over the years it has needed a new gas valve, a water pump and a replacement programmer. Its only fault is the pilot light going out now and then. It might not be as efficient as the modern boiler, but can't see them lasting as long and being as low-cost in maintenance.

radfordred    2,333

if British Gas serviced it I they'd condemn it 

New boiler fitted about 5 years ago from British Gas four & half grand they originally wanted to fit it in the middle of a bedroom wall due to air flow! It's in the loft.

Jill Sparrow    3,634
28 minutes ago, Chulla said:

Glow worm boiler

Glow Worm had a fantastic reputation some years ago. I knew someone who worked there. The premises are in Belper which is not far from me. However, the company was taken over by Vaillant who, themselves, are highly thought of.

All the old names are now owned by someone else. Even Aga isn't Aga anymore! I was told when choosing a multi fuel stove that the Aga models are now made cheaply in China and not to be tempted. Nowt's what it used to be, is it?

catfan    8,746
28 minutes ago, Chulla said:

Its only fault is the pilot light going out now and then.

That's so "last week" Dave, modern boilers don't have pilot lights anymore I'm told, besides how much gas would a pilot light burn in a year ?

Where's NBL when he's needed !

Chulla    4,135

We don't switch on the central heating so often, preferring the gas fire in the living room, which gets some stick in winter. Mrs Chulla uses a considerable amount of gas for cooking and hot water. Our latest statement from our gas supplier tells us that we will be using £550s worth of gas in the coming year, based on previous bills. So, an average of around ten pounds a week.

plantfit    2,584

We aint got gas in the village

Rog

loppylugs    4,826

Stayed home from church this morning,. Keeping the boys company.  One's in the recliner the other's on the window seat.  Still feeling lousy.  

I didn't want to go and infect a bunch of folks that don't need this.  I hate it when folks come and shake your hand while sniffling and snorting all over the place.  Why can't they just stay home?  :(. I'll play the organ in a bit.  The boys like it and it makes me feel better.  I can always play, 'Come Sweet Death.'   It's bein' sa cheerful keeps me goin.'

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

carni    7,222

Fantabulous weather here again in sunny Skeggy. The best days weather so far. If this is Autumn, then it is now my favourite season. I have sat on Perranporth  beach, daahn Cornwall, shivering wrapped in towels in the middle of summer on colder days than today. 

Heading out to Anderby Creek at 10am this morning for breakfast. we rode our trusty steeds ( well, bikes) along  the front to Chapel and  from there on to the road as the sand had made it impossible to cycle on the front anymore.

Lovely to see families playing on the beach,  but very noticeable how there were more families sitting outside the pubs. Feel a bit sad for the kids who were having to sit there instead of running free on the beach. When our children were small, the daytime time was devoted to them at the seaside. Rounders, Kiting, Sand Castles, Burying Dad, Paddling etc beneficial to us adults to wear them out, so we could play at night time.

Thankfully we didn't have to witness the naked men dancing about on the beach this morning, maybe  they only stayed here for one week. Chris just suggested that it could be the womens turn this week. I don't think I will be checking it out, but If he disappears for an hour later...........I bet I know where he will be! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Jill Sparrow    3,634

Sorry to hear you're still feeling unwell, Loppy. The hounds sound more comfortable than you! Hope things soon improve.

• Like 1

radfordred    2,333

Over the August Bank Hoilday weekend Carni, we visited the seal sanctuary in Skeg, it was fantastic I was like a big kid, highlight of my weekend, it must have impressed me I've just parted with 90€ for a full day at Loro Parque on Tuesday, I will not be able to sleep thinking about it, could get eaten by lions or them big Gorilla things :crazy:

• Like 2

plantfit    2,584

RR,you must pay a visit to Donna Nook in November,plenty of seal pups being born,a lot of them right at the side of the fence/walkway

Rog

catfan    8,746

P1000841_zpsc3g4vid6.jpgP1000839_zpsmtsszloa.jpg

• Like 3

carni    7,222

RR, We have spent many afternoons at the Seal Sanctuary at Skeg, and can understand why you loved it there.  If you have transport and haven't already been, I can recommend  The Seal Sanctuary and Wild Life Center at Mablethorpe, another special place to visit. I just googled Loro Parque and i'm sure your money will be well spent. Have Fun.:biggrin:

• Like 2

plantfit    2,584

Seal pup and mum during the pupping season Donna Nook Lincolnshire

seal_pups1_(3).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

MargieH    3,347
On 23/09/2017 at 3:43 PM, carni said:

The Hymn was Titled.

Ten Thousand Reasons (Bless The Lord)

Carni, that hymn/song by Matt Redman is one of our favourites at the moment.  It's one of the songs I've chosen for my funeral - the lyrics are so appropriate and uplifting, and bring me close to tears whenever I hear it.  It's one we have at church quite often.  I posted a video of it a while back on What are you listening to... I think it was

• Like 2

carni    7,222

It is a lovely song and you have chosen well Margie. I didn't realise it was based on the English Hymn 'Praise my Soul, The king of Heaven' One of my favourites, going way back to visiting Gedling Church from All Hallows School. I can see in my minds eye all of us children sitting in rows on the pews, singing our little hearts out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

taxi ray    148
3 hours ago, radfordred said:

Over the August Bank Hoilday weekend Carni, we visited the seal sanctuary in Skeg, it was fantastic I was like a big kid, highlight of my weekend, it must have impressed me I've just parted with 90€ for a full day at Loro Parque on Tuesday, I will not be able to sleep thinking about it, could get eaten by lions or them big Gorilla things :crazy:

You will enjoy Loro Parque, there are lots of wild birds flying loose in large enclosures, plenty of parrots. There is a parrot show as well, where the parrots do the usual tricks as seen in most holiday hotels, but the parrots actually fly in the room. 

Bubblewrap    3,621

If all goes to plan a start will be made tomorrow on my conservatory. :) 

NewBasfordlad    2,302

Bloomin heck lots to say now.

Chulla start saving young man 1972 Glow Worm in all possibility has no dedicated spares available. Regards to your pilot light, could be dirt easily fixed, could be thermocouple available, easily fixed, could be the gas valve could be 24 volt if it is it will be a new boiler, maybe 240 volt if it is the right model available could be fixed, pici will tell me. But you are right they don't make like they used to,the general advice these days is if you have a 10 year old boiler and it's going to cost £250 to repair get a new boiler there is too much else that can go wrong and it is all 10 years old.

Glow Worm had a great reputation now shot to bits wouldn't touch a modern one with a barge pole.

British Gas again don't touch them with a barge pole the industries best rip off merchants their prices are beyond ridiculous. They don't even have their own installers just subcontractors in British Gas overalls.

Jill, bathrooms are a sticking point with some installers they tend not to be that well up on the electrical regulations so play safe and say it can't be done however it is actually dependant on the circumstances. Bathrooms are divided into 3 zones each with their own regulations. To put it simply if the appliance is 600mm from say the edge of the bath/shower or from a basin tap then it is perfectly legal and more importantly safe to install in that location.

When you talk about the size of a combi like most people the first thing that springs to mind is the heating circuit but in fact in a domestic property that has very little to do with the size of a combi you choose. Most 3 or 4 bedroom homes need 12 to 16Kws to heat them where as the smallest combi is 24Kws it is all about hot water supply.

If you where my client one of the questions I would ask is "Are you a shower girl or a bath girl?" Cheeky I know but you have to have a laugh at work but again it tells me how much of an hot water supply you are going to need, a bath needs a bigger boiler. It is at this point I would check the amount of cold water coming into the property at the first supply tap and would be looking for 14ltrs per minute.

So for a shower girl I would recommend a Baxi Duo-tec 28kw with a 7 year guarantee, or for a bath girl a Baxi Dou-tec 33 just to fill the bath in a reasonable time. Because you are going to be spending about £2000 (a pure guess without seeing the installation) I would also recommend a Magnaclean filter cost about £100 but will seriously help protect your investment.

If I can help with further advice let me know.

NewBasfordlad    2,302

Chulla just one more point with your type of system run the heating pump once a month just for ten minutes this will help prevent jamming and burning out. You would believe how much pumps cost these days

DJ360    2,280
4 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

So for a shower girl I would recommend a Baxi Duo-tec 28kw with a 7 year guarantee, or for a bath girl a Baxi Dou-tec 33 just to fill the bath in a reasonable time. Because you are going to be spending about £2000 (a pure guess without seeing the installation) I would also recommend a Magnaclean filter cost about £100 but will seriously help protect your investment.

I can only confirm this.   A Baxi 105HE heats our home very well. and is also fine for a shower.  But... it can take a good while to fill the bath with decently hot water and I do like a long soak in a full,  warm bath.  As winter is approaching and the ambient temp of the incoming water falls, I find I have to slow down the flow of water into the bath to give the boiler time to get it up to temp.

Col