DJ360

How's your day?

Jill, so sorry to hear about your friend's death today.  I hope it comforted both of you to be sitting alongside her during the night.  I remember your mentioning her being at Harlow Wood.   Thinking of you x

Truly sorry to read of the loss of your friend, Jill.  You did the most you could in being there for her.  Well done.

I'm also sorry to hear of your friend's passing Jill. 

Did very little Saturday.  Still avoiding the Sun.. which shone quite fiercely despite the very strong winds.  I had been half way through 'hardening off' a couple of Tomato and Bean plants, but decided that putting them out in these winds would be a bad idea, so they are back on the windowsill.  I really must get around to getting that 4x6 greenhouse I've been planning forever.  Things will apparently calm down a bit by Monday.

I'm currently putting together a Quiz for our usual weekly socially distanced street gathering.  It was due to happen Friday but the winds were too ferocious, so I'm doing it on Monday instead.  There was a time when I was the Quizmaster in two local pubs.. but I haven't done that for years and I'm finding it quite difficult to come up with questions.  The trick.. as far as I can tell.. is to have about a third of questions which anybody can answer, a third which most might answer, and a further third which are more difficult.  That way.. most can answer a good few and feel OK with it.. and it is the difficult ones which sort out the winners.

I may post the questions on here after Monday.

Dont know how the last post got on here i think its from Mary 1947 but anyway DJ i hope the quiz is easier than Nottm quiz i failed miserably.

Sorry Jill to read about your friend ,

It is so sad when you lose a close friend Jill,

but you have woderful memories which will not fade.

We used to have a “Wrong Answers Only” quiz, far more entertaining :crazy:

Jill, no words can ever express the feelings of the passing of a dear friend. Condolences is the word used but to me it never seems enough. To pass a life time with a loved one be it friend or spouse is never easy when they leave you. You have my deepest sympathy. Your friend must have passed so many good times with you so those memories will never leave and will bring you pleasure to remember them in years to come.

• Like 1

My condolences as well Jill. I'm sure your memories are special and will always stay with you. 

Thanks all for your kind words. Indeed, I have many memories to treasure and the 22 cats in her sanctuary to continue to care for.  You can't be miserable with a cat as I'm sure she discovered when she found the hundreds of much loved Moggies waiting to greet her!

At one time it was 50.  I have 3 of my own or, to see it from their purrspective, they have one of me!

• Like 1

Some do. Some are very antisocial...and I don't blame them.  We have a team of volunteers. The cats are all spoiled rotten.

With all the Amazon parcels arriving during lock down the cats don’t know which box to sleep in. We must have a sort out.

13 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You could disprove Schroedinger's theory!

Go on... look in the box... you know you want to...

Lizzie yes Alex and James were glad to get back to work. They've been very busy this week sorting tables out and preparing food , getting supplies etc. Last night was a good night , they weren't expecting many but they had a few bookings and more came in before the night.

James is so organised, he has an app that his customers can get into to see what's on the menu instead of having to plastify them and disinfect them. Saves a lot of time too when they are busy. Obviously not full capacity but full capacity to the number and distancing that is allowed. They are expecting to be be slow as people are getting used to the idea of going to eat out. All his customers were regulars so it was nice to see them again.

• Like 3

We've got 1 cat, at the moment it's staying in Doncaster with the mother in law to keep her company during lockdown. It loves it up there, it gets fed twice as much.

I have no desire to get back to work. After 50 years of it, some in horrible conditions, I consider myself 'well shot of it'.   Oddly, I still frequently have dreams in which I'm wrestling with some work problem and turn to my bosses and say.. with a feeling of great relief.."That's it..  I'm off"... In the dream.. it's knowing that I'm 71 and therefore 'allowed' to retire which makes it pleasurable.  Thing is I fought tooth and nail to stay in work until I was 65.  Go figure.. as our Mericun cousins say.

Today.. I planted up the Tomato plants which arrived all but dead, from Dobies. a couple of weeks ago. They are now at least back in the land of the living. Dobies have still not acknowledged our complaints about the next to useless packaging.  I also got two Runner Bean plants into the ground... finally.  Dobies expensive and much vaunted bean seeds are the hardest to germinate I have ever had.  Germination rates are about 60% at best.  I gave about a third of my seeds to a neighbour and his experience is the same.

I also sorted out big pots into which I'm going to put bean seeds for each of my grandkids.  They are eagerly awaiting them. Also Sunflower Seeds.

It seems my Grandson is going to be on telly. He's asking a question on a kids prog.  More details if anybody wants them.           

Details of Grandkids are always welcome Col if only for vicarious reasons. I could quite happily take to living like a hermit but I do miss the little blighter and no amount of whatsafacezoom time makes up for it.

I loved the purple shapes one... 

Some good news my grandson, due to leave school this year, had an apprentship lined up. Due to circumstances we could not control, the apprentship was put on hold till next year.  He lost his get up and go, he also has a girl friend and at 16 he is love. Again due to systems we cant control he was stopped from seeing her, and him mum was the rottenest person that ever walked the earth, he would not speak to her. It was all her fault!! The phone rang and when he answerd it, he was surprised that it was his girl friends father,  not an apprentership, but as he was self emploed he wanted some to do the donkey work. So he offed him a job untill any thing else came along. 

The best think about it !!!!! ITS GETS HIM OUT OF HIS BED, IT GETS HIM USED TO GOING TO WORK, and yes!!! he GETS TO SEE HANNA.    OH! to be 16 again and in Love.

• Like 1

At last the fence panels and timber arrived yesterday. Also a new camping stove and a replacement rim protector for the Great Grand children's trampoline next door. So a busy day. I was really pleased with myself being able to fit the 6' x 6' panels into the concrete slotted posts unaided.

It's a bit like 'Open all hours' here. Up at 6 - 7 and out in the garden and greenhouse. All day working in the two gardens and then out again every evening watering and light weeding. Shut up shop at about 8.30. Garden is doing very well and will have potatoes for our three families from about 100 plants - same with tomatoes with 9 in greenhouse and a dozen outside. Broad beans in full flower and no blackfly (yet). Loads of salad crops coming on nicely too. Visiting my mate today to look at the chickens he has raised for me. Built the coop for them but having a problem getting the wire mesh for the run. DHL say they delivered it 2 weeks ago but they didn't. So an ebay dispute in progress. DHL must be the most unreliable carriers around.

Right - back on the garden.....

• Like 1