How's your day?

Even colder today with thunder forecast later in the morning.

It does please me in a selfish way though to think of all these arrogant, over-paid and under-talented film people disporting themselves on multiple red carpets in Cannes this week are shivering and getting soaked.

The dogs are being taken to the beauty parlour in Nice shortly for their summer trim. They go all fluffy and cuddly and come back looking like bald rats. That's a bit unfair and it is for their own good and they are still the same dogs, after all. The summer temperatures here are not very nice for very furry creatures and they really appreciate being cooler (if, indeed, the temperatures will ever reach normality this year).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Jonab, we’ve been in Cannes during the Film Festival and it does certainly get mad down there.  Paparazzi blocking the pavements and even erecting their large step ladders in the middle of La Croisette, thousands of tourists standing around gawping outside the hotels hoping to catch a glimpse of somebody vaguely famous.  No restaurant tables to be had, nowhere to park your car.  During our time in that area we kept clear in these two weeks.   As regards the dogs, the hot pavements in the summer are very uncomfortable on their paws, we never gave it a thought until our Jack kept stopping and lifting one paw at a time! 

• Like 2

Vaguely famous sums them up these days Lizzie. A definite dearth of genuine STARS.

No worries about excessive heat in the Grande Duchy today.  Mon and Tues were very nice. Caught a lot of rays.. , but today is cloudier and cooler, though far from cold at about 15 degrees.  Forecast to improve a bit through the day and back to a 'flag cracking' 20 degrees C by the weekend ..

So, today, with no temptation to lounge about in the Sun, I'm having a light and early lunch, after which I will clean the windows and also the gutters.  Only the front gutters get blocked.. North facing.  The back one has only been cleaned out once it 42 years and only gets a bit of dust in the bottom.

If I've any time or energy after that, I shall resume excavations under the back patio, to find that elusive drain....

Col

• Like 1

The dogs are back from the hairdressers. They don't look quite as rat-like as on previous visits, perhaps that's because they have more of their characterising face and head fur than they usually have left. They seem to like it anyway, in a very good mood, both of them.

Regarding pavements and roads - there aren't many near us. Mostly it's grass and mud tracks, at least for the dogs. They spend most of their time in the garden (when they're not working) and there is plenty of space there for them.

Most of the floors in the villa are marble and that is nice and cooling at all times of the year. I've even been known to lie on it myself!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I tend not to take my two onto the pavements / sidewalks on hot days Lizzie.  I reach down and put my hand on it.  If I can't stand it I know they can't.  Then I just play on the lawn in the back yard with them.  Don't need burnt paws.

• Upvote 1

Yes Jonab our dogs stretchout belly flat on floors. Try it yourself in the middle of summer. Its very cooling and of course good for your spine. Everywhere in France or Italy where there is some sort of festival the place gets overcrowded. Here when its the palio , forget about going to Asti.

Sunny and www warm sort of this morning. Pool people putting up walls and keeping their fingers crossed that it doesnt rain later. With a bit of luck they will finish placing all the blocks today.

All windows done on the outside.  To do the upstairs front, I have to climb out of a bedroom window onto the canopy roof.   I get a bit less confident about that over time, but it's all psychology. ... very little risk.  I'll see how I feel when I'm 70. 

We get a lot of windblown dust here, especially when the farmers are ploughing or harvesting.  So my window cleaning method is to wash down the glass and the frames with a soapy cloth.  Wipe the frames off with a damp cloth and run a sqeegee over the glass.  Then do the glass with glass cleaner and finish off with kitchen paper. 

Whilst teetering about on the canopy roof, I also reached up and pulled loads of grass out of the top gutter.  But, when I got down on the ground I could see more grass that I'd missed.  Oh well.  Next time.  :)

Sadly no Mike.. It barely extends to my upstairs back windows.. which are a bit awkward

I thought Sue was keen on that sort of little job?

• Like 1

Fair point.

• Like 1

Went to see "JERSEY BOYS" at the Concert Hall. First half a bit slow but it had a story to tell, second half Brillant lighting super, who ever put this story together made a cracking job . If you have not been to see it make an effect to go, you won't be disappointed 

Sunny day.  Not too warm. Still need to locate the accursed drain..  Let the digging commence!!

• Like 1

Yet another miserable day here - dull, not very warm and there were more thunderstorms last night.

Supposed to be improving tomorrow.

It's quite strange to be reporting on the weather here. Normally, May is sunny and warm and thus not interesting or reportable.

• Upvote 1

Bostin'  bit of sunshine here in Lytham St Annes. Shorts weather as hubbs puts it.  Just off for a car ride now to Freeport shopping outlets at Fleetwood. I feel a serious spend coming on at the Sketchers outlet, then a little rest for an hour before it's cycles out for our daily peddle to Blackpool. We can only stand the Razzmatazz for about an hour, so we don't stay long. Just long enough for an Icecream. Must fly.......fun to be had.:biggrin:

• Like 7

I was taken to Blackpool by neighbours when I was 7.  Put me off for life.  I can see Blackpool Tower from the hill here, but despite living only about 30 mins away for almost 50 years, I have succeeded in avoiding the place!  I once dropped my daughter off somewhere on the outskirts and nearly took a wrong turn towards the centre, but I realised my mistake and avoided the horror.  Close call though!!  :laugh:

• Like 3

My old football mates from the 70s at Park Tavern Basford,,used to have a wild weekend every year in Blackpool........now they are happy sat by the Pond on Vernon Park,,the odd Goose to feed is about as wild as they get now.......:wacko:

• Like 2

Nice here in Bulwell too.

All this negative talk about Blackpool ? Don't put me off we're going there soon ! Leave some sunshine carni !

Last time I was there was more than forty years ago when I did my last private hire coach trip, I did say then, never again & that was only after one day !

• Like 2