Fulfilled/unfulfilled dreams

I was inspired to start this topic when I listened to Enigma's choice of song in 'what are you listening to now'.  It was 'When I was a boy I had a dream'

i wonder what dreams you had when you were young....... have any of them been fulfilled, are you still waiting, or have you given up on them long ago?

As a teenager, all I really dreamed about was finding a man I could love, and who would love me, getting married and having children - preferably triplet girls for some strange reason!!  I was never interested in pursuing a career, even though I completed all my nursing training.  Although I really liked nursing, I just saw it as something to  pleasantly pass the time till the right man came along.   I've just re-read what I've written and it seems a bit like something out of an old film but that's the way I was.... That dream has been fulfilled apart from the triplets, but we did have 3 children in 3 and a quarter years so it's close!

i did also have a minor dream when I was a very young teenager to be a guitar playing pop star but I couldn't have wanted that too much as I never tried to learn the guitar!  

What about you lot..?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You see, you're laying down the rules already and we're not even engaged! 

As WW's teacher said the future is never what you expect it to be.   I never expected to be in my latter years in Georgia USA writing to a bunch of great folks on Nottingham whom I have neve

I don't remember having any dreams when I was young I was just to busy enjoying myself on a day to day basis. At work I was exactly the opposite to Ben I loved and still love getting my hands dirty th

At no point in my life has getting married and having children ever entered my head.

As a child, my dream was to know everything there is to know. I reasoned that if I read every book in Hyson Green Library, of which I was inordinately fond, followed by every book in the Central Library on Shakespeare Street, in addition to plaguing everyone I met with questions...I would achieve my dream.

Well...it didn't work! But I'm not dead yet...there's still time!  :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I never had the dream of getting married and having children, (and like you, Jill, I was an avid reader and still am) but it crept up on me in my early 30's.  Ours are in their 20's now and both boys are  lovely, thoughtful and brilliant company - so glad I had them!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

When I left school I wanted to become a Hairdresser, after training my dream was to go on the QE as an hairdresser, but wait you have to get your sea legs first, well still looking for them, after 50 years of flying (yes I know it makes your arms ache) I have just stopped putting my head in a bag. Maybe in another 50 years I will get my sea legs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

At no point in my life has getting married and having children ever entered my head.

...there's still time! 

Jill, will you marry me?

Fair warning - there would have to be no Bach music in  the house, but Ravel's Bolero played once a day.

It would appear that there are two kinds of people with regard to ambition. Those who were never bothered about achievement, and those who strived to make their dreams come true. Me? I was always of the former persuasion - never had an ambition, yet look how it all turned out.

I have authored a number of books, I have travelled, I have given many presentations, I had a very good job, I gained a very strong appreciation of music and artand recently dabbled in poetry. Never in a thousand years would I as a teenager or a twenty something have expected my life to follow these paths.  Never write yourself off.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chulla said:

, will you marry me?

Fair warning - there would have to be no Bach music in  the house, but Ravel's Bolero played once a day.

You see, you're laying down the rules already and we're not even engaged! :blink:

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

I was in Vic Centre the other day, and was staring aimlessly into the clock fountain whilst I was waiting for madam. There were several pound coins amongst the donations that people had tossed in. Now I've often thrown odd coppers in, and made a wish to have my dreams fulfilled, but never silver or more. Some people must be really desperate to throw  £1 coins in. I'll try it next time ! 

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I was in Vic Centre the other day, and was staring aimlessly into the clock fountain whilst I was waiting for madam. There were several pound coins amongst the donations that people had tossed in. Now I've often thrown odd coppers in, and made a wish to have my dreams fulfilled, but never silver or more. Some people must be really desperate to throw  £1 coins in. I'll try it next time ! 

Or a case of More money than sense.

Again I'm reminded of my history master's advice: the future is never what you expect it to be. Maybe that doesn't apply to everyone. 

I was interested in guitars and organs. They had some big Hammonds in Farmers in the 60s and I wanted one. I eventually bought a Nord C2 + Hammond pedals in 2002. Long wait but after 25 years as a "lay musician" organ grinder in a small church i could enjoy my new instrument without any pressure.

I also picked up 4 guitars along the way.

• Like 1

Rog, I was hoping someone would hang on to my ankles whilst I rummaged around for the shiny coins, but no one would oblige.

I did offer 10% from any money retrieved !

Regarding fulfilled / unfulfilled dreams and aspirations. Well, again, pro's and cons. Up until I retired seven years ago, I never really had any specific career in mind after failing all my O Levels. I mainly went for jobs that paid well, and I was invariably lucky in respect of finding jobs with much job satisfaction too. 

With regards to personal dreams, well, varied. Some dreams I had never came to fruition or floundered. Other than that, some things I never in my wildest dreams expected to happen turned up unexpectedly and were immensely satisfying. That's life !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Allways enjoyed life,right from school days, once i realised i wasnt going to a pro footballer, just threw myself into working hard and earning money,and being happy, that was my ambition,

Girls,drinking,smoking,dancing,making people i loved happy,working all over Britain,(never ever wanted manual work)

Still trying my best at all above, so i suppose ive achieved my ambitions, 

And as the song goes, "who could ask for anything more"  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

As WW's teacher said the future is never what you expect it to be.

I never expected to be in my latter years in Georgia USA writing to a bunch of great folks on Nottingham whom I have never met personally.

My childhood in England was probably average.  My dad was an electrician and I sometimes went on jobs with him.  Thus I decided I would be an electrician too.  Never gave it much thought beyond that.  My idea of happiness beyond that was to find the right girl, marry and settle down in my own place.  I was never much into the dating scene.  Well,. I found the right gal and we settled down happy in Basford with me at the EMEB.  This is a long story and I've told it before on here so I won't bore you with it again just summarize.

I wanted to move to Australia.  She said, NO!  But she would compromise on Canada.  I'd never though of that.

So. Off to Canada.  I did well in the electrical trade.  We bought a nice house and I thought I had arrived.  We also now had two daughters.  My first wife died in 1999.  I was shattered to put it mildly.

Two years or so living alone with a big black Labrador.  My daughters were both married and gone.

Met the present Mrs L via a widow /er online support group.  She was in a similar situation to me having lost her husband.  I moved to Ga. As the winters are a bit milder.:). Now retired in my 72nd year.  Who knows where I'll move to next?  :biggrin:

Life throws us some curves, but if I had to do it over, I'd do the same again.

BTW.  WW.  Glad there is another organist onboard.  I'm only a very amateur organist.  I started to learn about five years ago.  Couldn't read a note of music, never played any instrument. Now have an Allen, on which I mangle poor old Bach's music.  :biggrin:  I hang around the Organ forum some.  Quite a few Hammond guys on there.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I don't remember having any dreams when I was young I was just to busy enjoying myself on a day to day basis. At work I was exactly the opposite to Ben I loved and still love getting my hands dirty that I thing came from my father who had the same mind set.

Just after my 21st birthday I met SWMBO and a year later got engaged that was until she through the ring back at me. I came back to Nottingham and she stayed in Buxton. Six months later I realised what a prat I had been and decided to do something about it making enquiries I found out she was going out with another lad in the caving club and hatched a plan.

A few weeks later I got a phone call from Alf a nightclub owner in Buxton to let me know she was there with her boyfriend, grabbed a big mate who had offered to help jumped in the motor and of we went. As they left the club I offered them a lift, she went in the passenger seat next to me whilst my mate got him in the back next to him, halfway to her house my mate persuaded said boy friend he needed some air and took him for a walk and no nothing nasty happened I wasn't jealous just determined.

I spent till 4 in the morning persuading her to give me a chance and the rest is history we have been married 46 years now and have loved every minute of it including the disagreements.

My one and only dream in life was successfully fore filled and we still live for the day..................

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Nice one NBL.............Viv-la-the difference........be a boring world if we was all the same.......ref' dirty hands,never had em,but today i helped a co-worker shift about 20 gym mats ,about creased me and got bleddy Dust all over me suit trousers...........lol.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just thought I did have one unfulfilled dream, when I was 23 I was offered a spot as a porter on a 1972 trip to the Himalayas to help a team trying to top K2, never got there. Got married in 71 and my lady might be little but she is a Buxtonian when she puts that size 3 and 1/2 down :(

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Never dreamed of being a moderator on a local history web forum. 

Still not sure how that came about.

Well I don't suppose you would.  There was no Internet when you and I were nippers.  We had to wait for Al Gore to invent it.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I suppose I've always been more of a daydreamer than a dreamer.  I get very easily distracted and find myself going off at a tangent.  I'm far too interested in far too much and I know myself well enough to know that I lack focus.

Still somehow or other I've managed to acquire a decent enough home, a wife of 45+ years, two lovely daughters and two gorgeous grandchildren.  Must have got something right.

Can we separate dreams and ambition? Some people seem very driven in career terms and will do whatever it takes to claw and backstab their way to the top and to what they regard as 'success'.  That's never been my way. I pursued the job more than the money.  No interest in being 'the boss'.

My early work ambitions involved becoming a famous scientist.  Deep down I suppose I knew it wasn't going to happen.  But then the almost accidental slide into DJ ing which kept me very happy and fulfilled for some years just sort of .... 'happened'...

I messed up immediately after leaving school and it wasn't until I was around my late 20s that I started looking at getting back into education.  It seemed to me that I had been given a great chance at school and blown it.  I wanted to put it right, but even then it took a lot of redundancies and 'crappy' jobs to push me into taking the plunge. Really glad I did it though. one dream fulfilled...

Some dreams are just that.  They aren't likely to happen.  Others are I suppose more 'idle reveries' which you can easily make real if you really want to.

I always dreamed of buying a vintage British motorbike.. Preferably a BSA DBD34 Goldstar.. 'do it up', ship it to the US, and ride it along Route 66. On reflection there was little apart from a bit of work, organisation and saving to stop me, but it hasn't happened yet and since I don't even possess a full Motorcycle licence I can't have wanted it that much!  And of course such a bike is hardly a practical steed for long distance touring.

'Something musical'  I can't play for toffee.   I used to be able to sing a bit but maybe the market for Septagenarian 'Front Men' is already saturated with ageing 60s types..

Being some sort of writer.  Like many people I've often thought of starting out on this with some sort of biographical or semi-biographical work.. but it doesn't come together.  I have bits and pieces everywhere. including here, ... but I'm a long way from the common aspiration to a 'First novel'.

I suppose we all have the 'Lottery Win',  'Inherit a Fortune' dream.  But even if I won huge wodges of cash I wouldn't want much from it.  Help the kids and immediate family, a few more 'proper' holidays. and of course a fully equipped separate music room with about a million quid's worth of the most overpriced hi fi kit known to man...  :)

Col

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1