Beast from the East

As usual, a sensationalist story on the media about snow. Snow in winter. Worst snowfall in 5 whole years! 

In Co Durham we had a snowstorm this afternoon. It took about 38 seconds and is gone now. Its cool but not bitterly cold. 

Trains cancelled even before the snow falls! Trains cancelled because of no snow! 

I was in Moscow recently and they had a heavy snowfall, one meter in a few hours. Now that is a snowstorm. Nothing much stopped, apart from the flights. Pubs still open in downtown Moscow. 
What was the last sensationalist story? Weather bomb? Nowt much happened. 

Without scaring anyone, everyone stay safe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When will this infernal storm end! Last night we shot the last of the huskies. Quite palatable, but the damned fur clogs up one’s teeth! Our greatest concern is the rapidly dwindling stock of tea bags

Rog

Just returned from a week in Weymouth & some beautiful weather. All I heard Mrs C say "Will my Plants be OK "? How the hell do I know. I'm no gardener ! Smashing week Anyway, why bother with

At the farm shop at Hockerton near Southwell today they told me they had sold out of logs as people have been stocking up for their wood burners! I bought a couple of meat pies but they’ll be gone by tomorrow. I don’t  know how we’re going to manage after that!

Comments on the Cambridge Evening News have called it ' a flurry from Surrey' as we have had so little snow up to now.  Despite this, a reduced train service to London has been announced already, because they 'don't want people waiting around at cold stations'' for trains that aren't coming....??

I remember the winters of the 70’s when we used to have proper snow. It used to drift over the road out of the village. On those mornings I just got up earlier and drove through the drift at speed. I was never late for work. That was in the days before the ubiquitous four by fours which all country folk seem to drive nowadays.

Many on here are of an age that can remember the Big Freeze of 1963, I know I can, slogging through 4 and 5 foot drifts to go to school with wellies full of snow and putting your socks on the school radiators to dry. 

This video is a great reminder of what we did then to keep going compared to the threat of a few snowflakes (weather) and the snowflake generation that due to OHS&W and PC the UK has now become. Nowadays even the threat of a dusting of snow is enough to stop the trains.

I well remember the big freeze of 63. I was 5 at the time and ill with measles. None of the houses in our road had any water because the main was frozen!

It was bad but I recall my father saying the big freeze of 1947...before my time...was much worse.

I was born in early 1955 and am told that the midwife had a job to get in the house as the snow had drifted half way up the door and it was up 2 steps at that. I don't recall the 63 big freeze much but remember very heavy snow when I was about 14 or 15 just after Christmas. There was heavy snow in the late 80's when it was the 'wrong kind' and bought a lot of power and phone lines down. 

12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

At the farm shop at Hockerton near Southwell today they told me they had sold out of logs as people have been stocking up for their wood burners! I bought a couple of meat pies but they’ll be gone by tomorrow. I don’t  know how we’re going to manage after that!

I've given up burning logs for the time being as getting decent dry logs at reasonable money has eluded me. The last delivery was so wet I had to wring them out before use. I'm using smokeless fuel for the time being. It burns for hours so doesn't need much attention and it hot. Probably cheaper than logs too. 

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I well remember the big freeze of 63. I was 5 at the time.....

It was bad but I recall my father saying the big freeze of 1947...before my time...was much worse.

I can remember 1947 and climbing up the snow banks on Woodthorpe Drive wearing my little wellies!  They were very high, or at least that's how they appeared to a 4 year old...

Well  it's yet another cold, but glorious sunny day here on the south coast, with a pure blue sky  ! Has been for days now.

If this is 'global warming', then let's have more ! :tanning:

• Upvote 1

The winter of '63 I had been at work a year by then. But, I don't remember anything about the weather, which is weird, seeing how the strangest memories pop up from my youth. I must have gone to work each day throughout the snow, bitter cold etc.  After watching Ozstalgian's video, I find it hard to believe there is no memory of any of it. 

I was nine in the Winter of 1947 and remember it vividly. There used to be an open twitchel between Peveril St and Aspley Place. It was our short cut to Bentink Rd School and to Alfreton Rd. The snow had drifted up against a derelict house and the twitchel was wiped out with eight or ten feet of snow. That was far too much to clear and us kids dug a tunnel through it. Incidentally, all the properties in Aspley Place were derelict in those days.

• Like 1

Surprising how much more it gets talked about if the south gets hit.

I remember it very well working on EMGAS walking everywhere and bloody cold to, but we made a pretty penny doing foreigners after work, all them frozen outside bogs. Word was sent down from on high every bar of plumbers solder taken from the stores had to be accounted for.

I don't remember 1947 I was only a year old but I have seen pictures taken by my father in law, they lived at Fairfield in Buxton and he had to dig a tunnel to the front door for the midwife, good job really as the wife was born during the event.

Back in the late 60s we had a bad snow up in Buxton and I remember very clearly being part of a team sent out at 11o/c at night to get a snow blower driver of the moor, his machine had got stuck on the Congleton road, to say he was happy to see us is a bit of an under statement.