Beast from the East

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When will this infernal storm end! Last night we shot the last of the huskies. Quite palatable, but the damned fur clogs up one’s teeth! Our greatest concern is the rapidly dwindling stock of tea bags

Rog

Just returned from a week in Weymouth & some beautiful weather. All I heard Mrs C say "Will my Plants be OK "? How the hell do I know. I'm no gardener ! Smashing week Anyway, why bother with

When will this infernal storm end! Last night we shot the last of the huskies. Quite palatable, but the damned fur clogs up one’s teeth! Our greatest concern is the rapidly dwindling stock of tea bags, and we have had to impose strict rationing of no more than a brew every two hours. If we should run out, then God help us.

If this should happen then I think that we must try to reach the Co-operative trading post at Mapperley Top, but if forced to take this drastic step I fear that some of our party must perish. In fact, some of us are perishing now.

I can write no longer .... I have to put the kettle on.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Very funny AG made me laugh, I let my little dog out this morning all I could see 

was the top of a curly tail and a little black nose. He came plodding back looking 

very sorry for himself and he won't go out again.

• Upvote 1

XURv3o4ZLpLFILMT2

• Like 1

Thought the video was funny, except for the bad language....!

Is the last post on that hill near you?  It doesn't look too snowed under there.  Keep those ears (and everything else) warm

• Like 1

Well at last the snow hit here.

Not going out today, vans to precious to risk.

Spent the day on the phone to different folks explaining how to defrost the condensate pipe on their condensing boiler. Its amazing how many of these boilers have been installed by folks who should know better with the condensate drain exposed to the elements, a long deep frost, drain freezes, boiler stops working.

• Like 1

What kind of boiler is that, NBL?  I mean, how does it actually work.

We use heat pumps mostly here.  Kind of like a reversible refrigeration system.  It can pump heat in from the outside air in winter to heat the house.  Reverse it in summer and it pumps heat out of the house for air conditioning.  It also has heating elements in the main duct so that if the outside air gets too cold it can add some electric heat as well.

I would think it would work ok in England.  Hart to retrofit though because it relies on a ducted air system to spread the heat or cool air round the house so really needs to be installed in a new house as it  is built.

^^^^^^^We have heat pumps here too but they are very expensive and as you say difficult to retro fit.

Our main energy source is natural gas at the moment with some electric systems (very expensive to run) and a few heat & ground pumps.

The boilers I am talking about are gas fired high efficiency 92%, either combination boilers or system boilers.

Because of the very high efficiency the flue gases are near to their dew point when they reach the flue and produce a lightly acidic condensate which runs back through the boiler. This collects in a small (500mm) reservoir and is then conducted to a drain via a 22mm plastic pipe.

In bad conditions if the pipe has not been correctly routed or insulated it will freeze, the condensate backs up and if the reservoir fills up a switch locks out the boiler to prevent damage, and you lose your boiler just when you need it most.

Just watched the film about the big freeze of 1963. Brilliant. Thanks for posting that one. In Bilborough I do not recall so many problems. Dad went to work on the bus and the newspaper office always provided transport home for the night shift. We walked to the shops. School was only a short way to walk. It was cold and we did not play hockey all winter. That was wonderful. Hated PE! The difference between then and now is  much less traffic and much less news broadcast. Now we get every technical detail of what is likely to come. Today I should have been on a course in Bury St Edmonds. I phoned on Wednesday and cancelled my place. The course will run again and I had no wish to risk getting stranded on the A14 even though my car was made in Sweden! It just makes more work for emergency services. I have work to do at home instead.

A lot of schools get closed in bad weather. When I was delivering training i Wales some teachers told me that the head refused to close the school early in a very bad winter a few years ago. The mountain rescue team had to be summoned to rescue some children trying to get home in the heavy snow! There are no simple answers.

• Like 1

That sounds great Ian, so all the Doctors Nurses Ambulance Police Firefighters

and any one else who tries to keep the country running can't go to work.

That's my rant over.:shout:  

10 hours ago, MargieH said:

Thought the video was funny, except for the bad language....!

Is the last post on that hill near you?  It doesn't look too snowed under there.  Keep those ears (and everything else) warm

That pic was yesterday Margie.  What it doesn't show is the wind...  You're right.. we've not had a lot of snow.

I went out again this afternoon and walked out towards a village called Garswood.. East of here.  As soon as I got out into the fields I realised it might not be a good idea.  A howling Easterly wind was pushing me over sideways and I suddenly felt very tired.  But, it was as far to go back as to press on.  I followed the uphill track of a long abandoned 'Gravity Railway' which was apparently used in the 19th C to get Billinge Coal down to the Sankey Canal and then on out into the Mersey where it was sold to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co.  It became a case of head down and one foot in front of the other until I was out onto the 'proper' road which links Garswood to Billinge.  At least the wind was at my back now and I just slogged it back into the village and home.  6029 paces according to my phone.. so I've beaten my target twice this week. 6700 steps yesterday.

Wind is still howling here.. but it looks like tomorrow will be the last of the really cold days here. (I hope)  We're off to Liverpool to see the travelling exhibition of the 'Terracotta Warriors' from China.

Noticeable that our 'smart meter' is showing at least twice the consumption of gas and 'leccy' that we would normally use...even in winter.  I feel for the poor sods sleeping rough, or even those indoors who can't afford fuel.

Col

10 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

The boilers I am talking about are gas fired high efficiency 92%, either combination boilers or system boilers.

Because of the very high efficiency the flue gases are near to their dew point when they reach the flue and produce a lightly acidic condensate which runs back through the boiler. This collects in a small (500mm) reservoir and is then conducted to a drain via a 22mm plastic pipe.

In bad conditions if the pipe has not been correctly routed or insulated it will freeze, the condensate backs up and if the reservoir fills up a switch locks out the boiler to prevent damage, and you lose your boiler just when you need it most.

Mercifully, our bloke routed the condensate internally.  It flows into the bathroom waste system and touch wood has never frozen yet.

9 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

Just watched the film about the big freeze of 1963. Brilliant. Thanks for posting that one. In Bilborough I do not recall so many problems. Dad went to work on the bus and the newspaper office always provided transport home for the night shift. We walked to the shops. School was only a short way to walk. It was cold and we did not play hockey all winter. That was wonderful.

I remember it starting as I was cycling back to Bestwood Est. from my uncle's in Hucknall after a Boxing Day party.  I don't recall missing much school.. if any.  We built an igloo on the fields opposite the house, which stayed up for weeks.  A friend and I used old shades from industrial strip lights, to make rudimentary snow boards, and spent hours sliding along farm tracks and fields.  Even though my Dad was a coalminer.. we ran out of coal.  There was no shortage of the stuff coming out of the ground.. but it was nearly impossible to move it.  We spent a lot of time scouring the local fields for anything that would burn and at one point my Mum managed to secure a delivery of a few bags of cut up railway sleepers.

Happy days!  :)

11 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

^^^^^^^We have heat pumps here too but they are very expensive and as you say difficult to retro fit.

Our main energy source is natural gas at the moment with some electric systems (very expensive to run) and a few heat & ground pumps.

Thanks.  I missed your reply somehow.  Just saw it tonight.

OK that makes sense.  Things have sure changed since my days in Blighty.

Closest thing I can think of is our gas furnace in Canada.  It had a long metal flue that went out through the roof.  On minus 20 and lower days you could see steam coming out of the all the chimneys round about.  Ours had a metal rain cap on as did most.  The flue gases would condense in there and then fall back down the chimney hitting the cap at the bottom with a loud plonk.  A bit disconcerting but it never seemed to do any harm and we just got used to it.

Photo taken yesterday by a friend who works at Loughborough University.

I’m surprised there haven’t been more wintry photos posted on here, but meanwhile here in Dorset the snow settled on the sea yesterday afternoon, we had icy rain overnight, can’t see out of the windows because of the ice on the outside (not like when we were kids when we had ice on the inside), lying snow is covered with shiny ice,   passengers have been stranded for 15 hours on a train near Christchurch, A roads are closed, ferries not going anywhere.  We’re due to travel back to Nottingham tomorrow but we’ll have to decide in the morning.  

0024_F515-89_CF-4_A66-_B738-69_AAAA6_FBB

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m looking at the hills on both sides of the Trent Valley, we’re bang in the middle, and there’s hardly any snow worth bothering about. Our backlane is very slippery with compacted snow but once you get out into the village all the roads are clear. I believe for us the worst is over.

Go for it Phil, who cares what the neighbours will think of you.  Our crazy daughter-in-law posted a video on Facebook this morning of herself running around their snow covered garden in a bikini, then doing press-ups on the lawn, daring her Facebook friends to do the same.  I think I might go for a swim when the ice on the sea melts ;)

7_EA09_C43-0156-463_D-_BF54-13_EE16_D1_D

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just do it Phil, you know you want to,who cares what people think, Mrs P always says to me "What will people think" I'm not bothered what they think, I'm here to enjoy myself, you're a bloody long time dead

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

No close neighbours to bother me - not that I would be bothered! It wouldn’t start due to a low battery so it’s on charge now. It’s just too bloody cold and windy for outdoor fun and I can’t find my gloves. Your fingerless ones just wouldn’t cut it today!