Nottm At War 1939-1945.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phil, Ecumenism is generally defined as unity between the various denominations of the Christian faith.  This doesn't mean that there shouldn't be dialogue with those of different faiths, which I pers

A series of photographs documenting the County during WW2.Staff and nurses from Vale Brook Lodge and City Hospital fill sandbags..just off Hucknall rd.after war was declared.This poiceman takes the ha

And 70 years since the day I came into this crazy World.

On 04/04/2018 at 10:55 PM, Brew said:

Me mam was in the land army but from what she told me farmers didn't treat them very well. At one point they threatened to walk off the farm, she didn't say why.

Both Mum and Aunty worked at the local power station during the war, somewhere there is a photograph of them in overalls and hair tied up turban style. On their way to work they had to pass through a tunnel called  "dead man's arch"  they would stand at one end and shout, if no one answered they would run like hell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My aunty worked in a munitions factory during the war. She had been working the late shift and was walking home in total darkness. She had on a fur coat. A man walking in the opposite direction walked straight into her. He screamed and she said, watch where you are walking. He said you frightened me to death, I thought you were a bear. She said What? In bleddy Basford? I still smile about that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got the facts wrong. During the battle for Normandy David Rinder was actually with a brigade of 3 tank regiments each regiment fielding 50 tanks and they needed 1073 replacement tanks just to keep 150 in the front line, Rinder himself had 3 shot out from under him. Not that he took the record Major Stanley Christopherson colonel to be came out of 5 in one day in the desert campaign.

• Like 1

Had a shock today.

I was sat talking to my 15 year old granddaughter and she asked me about the book I was reading, I explained it was about the battle for Normandy in WW11 starting at D-Day.

"D-Day" she asked, "yes" I said "The great invasion the led to the defeat of Germany in WW11, don't you do history?"

"Oh yes" she says "We have just done WW11 from the .........................German perspective" You can imagine the discussion we had over the next hour, talk about twisting history.

Pass me the gun....................

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

That last picture reminded me of this one I took a couple of years ago at East Kirkby

2009_1012Octoberaviation090021.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Repairs to mains after bombing on Ennerdale Rd.Daybrook.

Would they have been trying to target something in Daybrook, if so what? A hit on the Home brewery site would have damaged morale but were they just badly aimed or jettisoned bombs

• Like 1

I thought Glenn Miller and his aircraft was lost in bad weather over the English channel on his way to entertain the US soldiers in France, was/is it true he was on Hitlers kidnap list?

Rog

• Like 1

Just Google it. The bombing and kidnapping are just urban myths from what I've read,,

From what i have read Rog..a higher plane dumped unused bombs over the channel..sadly Glenns plane was lower and got walloped..and perished. Divers visited it 2 years ago and discovered the sad truth.

• Like 1

Another theory -- one that’s more widely accepted -- is that the plane Miller was flying in was destroyed by friendly fire. That theory was first proposed in the 1980s as intriguing evidence about the Norseman plane came to light. It was discovered that 138 planes returning from an aborted Allies bombing raid disposed of their bombs over the English Channel, and the theory is that one hit Miller's plane, causing it to crash.

Citing U.S. Army Air Force records, Spragg says the timing of when the planes were over the channel rules out that theory.

>
>
>
>Miller never arrived at his destination and traces of the Norseman and its passengers were never found.

Dennis Spragg, a senior consultant to the Glenn Miller Archive at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Interesting theories,does the official US records tie in with the British ones,theres a lot of conspiricy stuff about or is that people just out to make money out of non proven events

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Re. Hutton St. picture, I was late for school (Sneinton Blvd.) watching a body being carried from the debris!

• 5 months later...

No fat people about when i was at School,,,and i just remember Rationing,,,made a Ration book holder in Sewing class,,,actually enjoyed Sewing as opposed to all that banging about in Woodwork and Metalwork classes,,,

War was still on when i was born,,,Hitler shot himself 6 weeks after my birth......don't know who told him.........

• Like 4
4 hours ago, katyjay said:

I am surprised nobody has mentioned that it is 80 years today since the outbreak of WW2. 

And 70 years since the day I came into this crazy World.:rolleyes:

• Like 4