• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

We had Pearce's ice cream factory just up the road from us on Grant street, Radford. That were back in the annuls of time, known as 50s.

Just thought I'd chuck that in for summat to say, as its so quiet.

I’ve not been that way for a while but you could see from Ilkeston Rd ‘Pearce’s name on the roof of their old factory building. Charlie Pearce used to live in a bungalow, with a miniature lighthouse in the front garden, at the top of Catfoot Lane, Mapperley Plains opposite where the crematorium is now situated. I believe he emigrated to South Africa in the early 60’s.

23 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Just thought I'd chuck that in for summat to say, as its so quiet.

Sh …… BK we’re all trying to sleep!  
now you’ve gone and woken Phil up

They used to make some superb and fantastic ice cream cakes. Not for the like of us urchins though. They were party pieces, bought by 'posh' people. 

Phil., had a look on Google and found the lettering. Who'd have thought it. I lived down that way from 1957 to 1965 and even had a paper round on those streets and I never knew about those premises. But then again, you don't deliver papers on the roof do you.?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Been meaning to say.... After the meet up, I went to my Brother's place in Warren Wood, about half a mile from the Duke of St Albans. (Which neither of us have ever set foot in.)

We had an enjoyable evening of 'free' Bingo at the 'Buzz'..formerly Gala. Not sure how that works, but I assume they make enough from the slots and the sales of booze. I actually got down to one number on one 'house'.. nearest I've been to a win for about 20 years.

Next morning I drove into Boowull to catch up with Picko and a couple of others from the 360 Club days.  We're a dwindling band... but it's nice to reminisce and I find it really odd that we're all suddenly 'old' and I imagine youngsters would find it really hard to imagine that we were once young, 'cool' and setting the scene for what became 'Northern Soul'.

I was impressed by the general warmth of numerous people dropping in and out exchanging Christmas cards or just, as Ben would say... 'Eyups'.

We all agreed the Boowull isn't what it was.. but it could be much worse and still has its own character.

I had a wander around the market with Picko.. trying to recall what used to be where etc.. There are still a fair few old buildings round the market, and it's difficult to understand why some were demolished and others spared... who knows?

Again.. Picko seemed to know everybody.. but then he's lived not far from the centre of Boowul all his life.  I sort of envy that.

Friday night, Bingo again. Still won nowt.

Saturday morning I set off for home, but decided that the 3 hour drive via the 'Scenic Route' would make a nice change from the tedium of the 2 hour A50/M6 race.

So again lots of reminiscences. 

-Matlock Bath...Climbing up to the Heights of Abraham in the early 60s with the Wolf Cubs..

-Visiting the Great Cumberland and Great Masson Caverns.

-A couple of years later, camping (independent from Cubs etc.) at Merebrook between Whatstandwell and Cromford... messing about at Black Rocks and on the old High Peak Railway.

-Sneaking into the Corbar campsite in Buxton after a Friday evening bus ride from Nottm, camping overnight and sneaking out in the morning before anyone collected the 1s 6d or whatever overnight charge..then hiking from Buxton to Edale via Rushup Edge and over Mam Tor, before camping under the railway bridge at Upper Booth, then heading up Jacob's Ladder onto Kinder Scout.

The traditional motorbike run from the Penguin Cafe in Boowull, to the fishpond in Matlock bath.

Many other memories..too many for one post.

My car knows the way so there's no hassle with Satnav or route finding and I can just concentrate on negotiating the bendy roads through Derbyshire, over the Cat and Fiddle and then on to Knutsford for a last dash up the M6.

Enjoyable couple of days.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Great Post Col............we have much in common mate..........not only our memories of Bestwood estate and Village.....But Bulwell past......and my favourite county of Derbyshire........walked just about every place you mentioned........Alone and with my Kids........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

We're a dwindling band... but it's nice to reminisce and I find it really odd that we're all suddenly 'old' and I imagine youngsters would find it really hard to imagine that we were once young, '

I've increasingly found that happening to me in recent years.

• Like 1

I was standing at a bus stop yesterday - all the seats were occupied - and a twenty-something woman stood up and asked if I’d like to sit down.

i was a bit taken aback but I accepted with a smile and thanked her.  However, I suddenly felt old

because that’s never  happened to me before.  I still feel it should be me who gives up my seat for a

little old lady!

• Like 4

A few years ago I alighted  the bus from Lewes at my stop and when the bus pulled away I waited for a gap in the traffic to cross the road safely. Suddenly, a car pulled up in the middle of the road and a very pretty young thing waved and beckoned me across the road. The traffic coming the opposite way saw what was happening and stopped as well. I raised my cap to both side to say 'thank you', but told 'er indoors' that I suddenly felt very, very old.

• Like 1

Similar happened to me today @MargieH.  Like you I was taken aback, particularly as the woman who offered me her seat looked older than me, or is it that I don’t realise how old I look?   I actually declined the offer of a seat as I was being very lazy and only going about 3 stops but it was lovely all the same. 
Another gesture that I thought had gone out of fashion, amongst the young, is holding a shop door open for the person following them in.  This week in town I’ve been pleased to report numerous young folk have held the door open for me.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Someone dressed as an elf wanted to help me pack my bags at the checkout on Saturday. I told them to go away in the sort of language they would understand in Netherfield. :biggrin:

I'd be ashamed to admit to that...

• Upvote 1

I experienced a really nice gesture which actually made me speechless in our local Tesco last week. The lady in front of me in the queue who had paid for her shopping asked if she could lean over to the shelf by the belt for a poinsettia plant and I said “of course” thinking that she had just spotted it for herself. She went on to pay for it separately and then put the plant in my trolley and wished me a happy Christmas. I still can’t believe it, maybe I looked particularly miserable at the time and she thought I wanted cheering up! Things like that are what Christmas is all about. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jill, it’s well out of the way, to be fair I don’t normally buy one cos they always die on me. Thank you lady.

@MRS B  I love to read of those random acts of kindness.  It’s good for the giver and the recipient.  It makes the world feel like a much better place…

Morning in Bulwell..........1st time in about 3 weeks......was nice to seeit so busy...almost like the 60s.......went in a couple of Charity shops with lots of ...ey-ups where yo bin?

Chap playing Saxaphone was excellent...had a little ''Jig''' with a lady id never seen before...it made her laugh anyway.........Finally treated the Wife to a nice 'Breakfast'' in my favourite 'Eatery''....a lot more 'Ey-Ups'''

Love Bulwell.......

• Like 1

Ben I also visited Bulwell this morning, but I only went as far as Lidl, their in store Bakery goods I find are some of the best I can find. Then I had to go to Mcdonalds , its the other halfs favourite, I cannot cope with the meals but the coffee is quite good. Now back home its a lot warmer.

• Like 1