I am thinking about getting an Alexa, watching the price on Amazon to see when the best price is. I just wondered if anyone has one and what they think. Also which is best the full size or the small dot. The reviews are very mixed, some saying they are brilliant and others saying they are rubbish. I would mostly use it for audible books and my podcasts, with some music if I can get it for free. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have just bought a Nextbase Dashcam that has Alexa. Not installed it yet but will post how I get on with it.

I have a relative with one. Thought it OK but the novelty soon palled and she had to put it back in the box after her 5 year old learnt how to use it. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Enigma that has been very helpful.

• Like 1

I’ve got the 2nd Generation Alexa SG.  It’s ok for what I want ...... as a change from watching tv or listening to the radio in the kitchen.  I often ask ‘her’ to play songs from certain of my favourite artists and she keeps going until you tell her to stop.  When round at a friend’s house we’ve played a music quiz but don’t do very well as we’re playing against people in the USA and it seems to be directed at American artists.  Now and again she’ll just spout out something randomly which can startle as the word ‘Alexa’ hasn’t even been said (you have to say “Alexa” to activate it every time). I don’t use it that often but for the price it’s good value.  

• Upvote 2

My brother in law is named Alex, and every time he visits , and we're in the kitchen, and someone mentions his name, the bleddy thing comes on !

• Upvote 1

My granddaughter has one in her bedroom and she says it sometimes speaks to her in the middle of the night when she. hasn't said "Alexa'.    Mind you this is from someone who still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy, so I'm not sure whether she just has an overactive imagination...

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Mind you this is from someone who still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy, so I'm not sure whether she just has an overactive imagination...

What do you mean STILL believes, what are you trying to tell us Margie..?  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

When one of my relatives got one 

4 hours ago, MargieH said:

My granddaughter has one in her bedroom and she says it sometimes speaks to her in the middle of the night when she. hasn't said "Alexa'.  

One of my relatives has one downstairs, she said she heard hers talking in the middle of the night a couple of times, perhaps they get lonely? She also put the guard dog thingy on it, only problem was she couldn’t get it to stop and every so often had what sounded like 5 different dogs barking. She googled it and found there were a lot of people in the same situation, took her ages to get it to stop.

Didn’t know you could tell Alexa to bark, must try it.  It only needs turning off at the socket to shut her up though! 

I regularly tell Alexa to 'Go forth and multiply', but every time I look, there's still only one there.