Do You Know Why?

:D YES :D

:D Something to do with, in days gone by they would extract teeth, hence the RED and the WHITE would be the Bandages well something like that ;)

post-25-1100171095_thumb.jpg

Not quite the answer I was looking for ;) but close BIP.............very close!

Well metaphorically speaking BIP is right about the red & white stripes. I understand that in days gone by barbers used to do something called bleeding which was done to rid the body of poisons & all manner of health problems, I assume the dentistry story is one & the same thing. I was just being specific.

Caz

• Upvote 1

Yes Caz

You are right of course, Bloodletting :o

Theres a funny line somewhere here, but I just drove back from Palm Springs,

its late and my mind is not working. Nearly time fer bed ZZZZzzzzzzzz........ <_<

• 10 years later...

It date's back to medival times, when barber's were surgeons as well, they did bloodletting and surgery on people, hence the red and white which meant bloody bandages..........

I remember a big Scotsman school dentist, my Mother had to go with me for an extraction, as I had to have a general. I hated the smell of nitrous oxide fater that episode, together with the smell of old rubber.

My jaw ached for days, gum was torn and he never gave me stitches, a real butcher. That was sometime in the mid 50's.

Seems to have been common in the fifties, John. I seem to remember we got into this topic some time ago on one of the threads, but I can't remember which one now. It was about the school dentistry in Carlton and Gedling. They loved to pull molars out. I lost several back then and I don't think they were decayed either. Still got some gaps back there thanks to those guys.

Ciders dentist was situated somewhere on Derby Rd at Canning Circus. He always smelled strange when he was leaning over you.

In another thread, I mentioned a butcher, sorry 'dentist' called Hope on Queens Rd Beeston. I had several teeth out by him one afternoon and he ripped my gum. It bled profusely till about 10.30 at night. Whereby I had to fing my dad to take me to QMC. I ended up having 6 stitches put in. Hope.... You need it going there !!!!!

Because after the mutt has had a couple of bottles of water bounced off his head, he learns to stay away from the location or, gets hurt again. slywink

• Upvote 2

Ah! Memories of of the clinic at Players School!!! Both my parents had all their teeth out as a matter of course and I think this was fairly common in that generation. The Americans are sometimes heard speaking disparagingly of we Brits' teeth and from my own experience I think the school dentist put lots of people off from visiting a dentist in later life.

• Upvote 2

Ian I don't know why dogs don't foul the grass if there are bottles of water on it but here they put them outside front doors to stop the cats from marking. I've always thought it was because the water reflected an image bigger than them whatever it is, it works, I know as we have about 19 stray cats near us. Next door are cat lovers and they feed them at least we're not usually bothered with mice.

Catfan ≠19 tomlinson

Just to complete your memories. (nightmares) I remember sitting in a chair and a metal instrument similar to a miniature car jack being inserted in my mouth, then a rubber mask being placed over it and I was asked to count to 10. Got to about 6 and then zzzzzz. Don't forget the annual inspection was held there as well, we all had to form a line in front of that window, present our tackle and cough.

Image and additional comments in red from a Nottstalgia member initials CP but not sure what name he uses on here.

player-school-clinic-where-you-went-to-b

• Upvote 1