As some of you know, I am a regular poster on a music/hi-fi Forum called Pinkfishmedia.

Pinkfishmedia, attracts people from all over the World and all levels of wealth/occupation.

Our discussion of the Coronavirus outbreak is lively, but we have the advantage of having a few members who have real 'weight' in the world of health and medicine.

1, 'TopOxfordDoc.'  aka Charlie Chan.  This is the guy who noticed that Wilko Johnson of the band Dr Feelgood.. who was on a farewell tour due to 'incureable' cancer.. should already be dead.  He spoke to Wilko. referred him to an oncologist friend and the result was that Wilko was operated on and lived.

2. Tim Jones.  A bit mysterious.. but he works in the Ministry of Health and Social Care at very high level and carefully  puts out stuff which is 'not the view of his employer' and seems to have the 'inside track' on a lot of what is happening.

3. DoctorF.  We disagree violently on politics.. but he knows medicine.

4, Me.. posting as Mullardman.

So.. if you want a view on Coronavirus that might be helpful... have a look here: 

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coronavirus-the-new-strain.236430/page-64#post-3915184

Also. use the NHS and YouGov sites rather than thecobblers on F'Book.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I see there were 2 new cases in Nottingham/Nottinghamshire yesterday, up to 7 now. It would be nice to know which areas they are in just to know what the risk is. 

I don't know whether this counts as one of those or is a completely new one but the owner of Nottm Forest has got the virus.

No idea where he lives but he was at the last match, whenever that was.

I have had a vaccination for pneumonia (not sure of spelling) I wonder if that will have any effect on the virus at all? I’m fairly sure that was what my husband and I had although it was a while ago or am I imagining it?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Jill,

This reminded me when I contracted shingles in the early 60's. On two occasions my GP visited my home to check on my condition and administer injections. How times have changed.

Around 2000, I was in work and had felt just vaguely off colour for a few days.  I suddenly noticed a 'weeping' rash around my right side and immediately wondered about shingles.  I called the Docs and they agreed to see me straight away.  I went to tell my boss where I was going and she backed away and then told me she was pregnant.  I don't think she'd told anybody at that point.. but I wasn't surprised.. she seemed to be permanently pregnant back then.  Her instruction was if confirmed with Shingles to stay away from work and from her until fully recovered.  I didn't argue.

As I understand it you can't 'catch' Shingles and only develop it if you've had Chicken Pox in the past.  However, the rash you get does contain Chicken Pox virus and can infect others with Chicken Pox.

The Doc confirmed Shingles from a distance of about 5 metres and immediately prescribed an antiviral (Aciclovir?) in the form of effervescent tablets to be taken 5 times per day in water.

Oddly, throughout the whole episode.. apart from a vague headache, I had no pain.

Where there's no sense I suppose....

17 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

I have had a vaccination for pneumonia (not sure of spelling) I wonder if that will have any effect on the virus at all? I’m fairly sure that was what my husband and I had although it was a while ago or am I imagining it?

Spelling spot on Stav.  Interesting.. I've had that jab too.  I've no idea whether it protects against the pneumonia which can apparently accompany CV.

Apparently, shingles can be painless, with just the rash in evidence but, equally, there can be pain but no rash.

I had both. The rash, on my left side, didn't look like much. In fact, I thought it was a burn initially. I didn't feel unwell either. It took a couple of days to twig what it was and then the pain started! Red hot daggers couldn't have been worse!  I feel sorry for those who have shingles on their face and scalp if they experience pain like that.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

P&O sent us the final paperwork for our imminent European cruise this morning and they’re still advertising excursions round Venice!!!

Sorry for you AF when you don't know if you're going or not. Here the news is that many cruise ships are in quarantine including those that are coming home and have to stay aboard for 15 days.I suppose it depends when and where in Europe you were planning to go. Lots of ports will not allow entry to Italian vessels so maybe you will be lucky.

Venice is to be avoided as is all Italy now.

Good luck.

A few days ago, my daughter mentioned that a blonde politician was in the restaurant she works at in town, with her (apparently armed) minders and paid a visit to the bathroom, where she inadvertently left a slip of paper with “Boris” and a mobile number written on it which another member of the team had to get for the minder.

That might explain why both me and my daughter have been sick!

Hope the restaurant has very efficient cleaning staff, seeing as my husband has been in there tonight :Shock:

Was the Forest owner there that evening too?  

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Not advisable DJ.  Too much worry could put you in an early grave ......... 

I forgot the smiley Lizzie....  Obviously not smiling about her illness.. but about my alleged tendency to panic.

Something on Newsnight.. didn't catch who was saying it.  Apparently Dorries became ill on Thursday..immediately recognised what it was because she's a nurse and it's a 'very distinctive cough' and she's now on the mend. 

Miraculous I reckon....:rolleyes:

The report I saw last night had Dorries in The house of Commons, at her Saturday constituency surgery, at no 10 with other Ministers and the International Womens day representatives and she only realised she may be ill Late Monday and was tested and later confirmed on Tuesday.

Contact tracing has been done by P.H.E who found that Boris and other key figures were not exposed for long enough, pose no risk and need not self isolate.

There may be some people who will have to such as her aids etc.

Found a video on internet to make a protective mask. As we have all been informed the masks that you find around ( if you can find them) are no good because they are not fine enough to keep bacteria in or out. The chemist on this video explained if you want to be sure that it's protective enough pour water into it. If it soaks through, bacteria will too. He showed how to make a mask from grease proof paper and then poured water into it and it stays. I set to and made 5 of them and it only took about 5 minutes or less to make them all. Won't insist but if you need instructions it's so easy.

Well I’ve just been into our local pharmacy to get repeat prescriptions ordered before we go on our hols next week.  I’ve bought 2 ‘proper’ masks for the 10 hour flights, bit pricey at £9.95 each and certainly not very flattering but we might be pleased we’ve got them.  

can't remember where you're going lizzie but be careful. on tv just now they were confirming that symptoms appear between 5 -7 days as my daughter s friend said who's a nurse.

2 hours ago, jonab said:

I would find it difficult to contemplate going anywhere apart from my immediate environs in the present health situation.

Been booked a while jonab and not been advised not to go.  Who knows, in the next few days we may not be allowed to leave the country but meanwhile I am looking forward to some warm sunshine. 

• Like 1