My wife has COPD and regularly has chest infections our GP insists she has an emergency pack of antibiotics and steroids at home and she must use them if she shows any sign of a chest infection. When she uses them all she has to do is phone the surgery and another prescription is sent. The GP said she would struggle to fight off a full blown infection as she doesn't have enough fat in her body, already this year she has spent two periods in bed ,each for about a week , suffering with infections despite taking precautions on where we go .

Are we worried about this current problem of course we are, we are being extra careful about where we go and who we get close to, even more handwashing and sanitiser. To just dismiss the current problem with no extra precautions and have the attitude of I get it , its just fate is I believe short sighted. The numbers of how many get killed in car and plane crashes and other diseases is not particularly relevant to our situation.

All people have different health situations and attitudes to risk and I think we should respect there differences and not criticise the them, just my opinion on this.

• Like 6

I see there were 2 new cases in Nottingham/Nottinghamshire yesterday, up to 7 now. It would be nice to know which areas they are in just to know what the risk is. 
I know someone who had a holiday booked to China among other places, obviously this leg has been cancelled but they could still go to Moscow - then they were told that as they were from UK they would have to go into 14 days quarantine when they got there - what a good idea sounds like they have a plan! 
Luckily I had a supermarket order delivered last week which has stocked my freezer up, got an extra loaf and milk to put in there yesterday and another pack of soap bars. Going to go to the pet shop to get Kai’s beef today so I have a months worth in freezer just in case it gets worse in Nottingham, fingers crossed it doesn’t. 
Everyone stay safe and healthy especially NonnaB, hard to grasp a whole country has been put into lockdown. I hope after this has run its course that China is taken to task about the cause of this as it is the second time this has happened.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

I thought it were "WASGIJ"

Yes a slip of the finger BK. Don't know how that came about I usually have to say and think about it first.

SG we heard last night that Italy had been locked down. We now have 9172 cases, 463 deaths, 724 recoveries, 700 in intensive care. Weddings and funerals have been cancelled and no one is to celebrate because it means large numbers of people together. Pubs are closed as are discos and night clubs, gaming rooms.

Buses can only allow so many people on board. 

So this is SERIOUS, don't mess around thinking it'll never reach you. That's what we thought . China and Italy are a long way from each other but it found its way quickly. Trouble is you don't know who's got it and who they've been near.

My daughter is in isolation because her vet has the disease. She has no symptoms but has been in contact with an infected person albeit he contracted it after she saw him but 14 days isolation is compulsory. So please please all of you stay safe.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Just been to take a smoothie over to my daughter with a jug of hot lemon juice. I leave it outside her front door. As I was walking away I felt that she was a prisoner and I was the warden. So sad. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Reminds me of when I had shingles in December 2010, Nonna.  The GP didn't want to know and flu was raging at the time. 911 wasn't interested in shingles.

I have never felt pain like it. Couldn't sleep, couldn't get dressed, didn't want food. I remember one night wishing I could die to be rid of the pain!  Sounds a bit melodramatic but it was truly excruciating.

Friends posted a regular supply of strong painkillers through the letterbox. They didn't know whether they'd ever had chicken pox and I wasn't willing to risk contagion.

I can't say I felt like a prisoner...more like a zombie. For two weeks I just drifted about in a haze of pain. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Jill,

This reminded me when I contracted shingles in the early 60's. On two occasions my GP visited my home to check on my condition and administer injections. How times have changed.

They certainly have, Alpha!  There is now an immunisation of sorts against shingles but it's for the over 70s. I'm too young (there are a few things for which I'm still not old enough!!!) and I wouldn't want it anyway.  Once you have shingles, the immunisation isn't effective!  Hope I never have it again, as I'm sure you do too!

The owner of Nottingham Forest fc has confirmed he has Corona virus and he was at the match on Saturday. 

4 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I see there were 2 new cases in Nottingham/Nottinghamshire yesterday, up to 7 now. It would be nice to know which areas they are in just to know what the risk is. 

I don't know whether this counts as one of those or is a completely new one but the owner of Nottm Forest has got the virus.

No idea where he lives but he was at the last match, whenever that was.

I have had a vaccination for pneumonia (not sure of spelling) I wonder if that will have any effect on the virus at all? I’m fairly sure that was what my husband and I had although it was a while ago or am I imagining it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Jill,

This reminded me when I contracted shingles in the early 60's. On two occasions my GP visited my home to check on my condition and administer injections. How times have changed.

Around 2000, I was in work and had felt just vaguely off colour for a few days.  I suddenly noticed a 'weeping' rash around my right side and immediately wondered about shingles.  I called the Docs and they agreed to see me straight away.  I went to tell my boss where I was going and she backed away and then told me she was pregnant.  I don't think she'd told anybody at that point.. but I wasn't surprised.. she seemed to be permanently pregnant back then.  Her instruction was if confirmed with Shingles to stay away from work and from her until fully recovered.  I didn't argue.

As I understand it you can't 'catch' Shingles and only develop it if you've had Chicken Pox in the past.  However, the rash you get does contain Chicken Pox virus and can infect others with Chicken Pox.

The Doc confirmed Shingles from a distance of about 5 metres and immediately prescribed an antiviral (Aciclovir?) in the form of effervescent tablets to be taken 5 times per day in water.

Oddly, throughout the whole episode.. apart from a vague headache, I had no pain.

Where there's no sense I suppose....

17 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

I have had a vaccination for pneumonia (not sure of spelling) I wonder if that will have any effect on the virus at all? I’m fairly sure that was what my husband and I had although it was a while ago or am I imagining it?

Spelling spot on Stav.  Interesting.. I've had that jab too.  I've no idea whether it protects against the pneumonia which can apparently accompany CV.

Apparently, shingles can be painless, with just the rash in evidence but, equally, there can be pain but no rash.

I had both. The rash, on my left side, didn't look like much. In fact, I thought it was a burn initially. I didn't feel unwell either. It took a couple of days to twig what it was and then the pain started! Red hot daggers couldn't have been worse!  I feel sorry for those who have shingles on their face and scalp if they experience pain like that.

• Like 1

P&O sent us the final paperwork for our imminent European cruise this morning and they’re still advertising excursions round Venice!!!

11 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

P&O sent us the final paperwork for our imminent European cruise this morning and they’re still advertising excursions round Venice!!!

Sorry for you AF when you don't know if you're going or not. Here the news is that many cruise ships are in quarantine including those that are coming home and have to stay aboard for 15 days.I suppose it depends when and where in Europe you were planning to go. Lots of ports will not allow entry to Italian vessels so maybe you will be lucky.

Venice is to be avoided as is all Italy now.

Good luck.

And Lourdes has closed the “Healing Pool” to prevent the spread of the virus.

Not advisable DJ.  Too much worry could put you in an early grave ......... 

• Like 1

It might be getting closer to panic time for some,

From the Independent, just.

Nadine Dorries, the conservative MP and junior health minister, has tested positive for the Covid-19 coronavirus.

The 62-year-old is the first British politician to have contracted the virus,

A few days ago, my daughter mentioned that a blonde politician was in the restaurant she works at in town, with her (apparently armed) minders and paid a visit to the bathroom, where she inadvertently left a slip of paper with “Boris” and a mobile number written on it which another member of the team had to get for the minder.

That might explain why both me and my daughter have been sick!

Hope the restaurant has very efficient cleaning staff, seeing as my husband has been in there tonight :Shock:

Was the Forest owner there that evening too?