• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father was an avid Notts County fan since he was 8 right up until his death. It was said the ref wouldn't start the match until dad was in his seat. When he retired from work he got signed memorabilia from the club.

I don't follow football much but do listen to County match commentary on BBC radio Nottm when I can. Last night was a rare opportunity to watch them on the TV. I suppose you could say that Salford played out of their skins and made Notts look poor but you'd be wrong. Notts were simply terrible. Players showed no commitment standing around clueless seemingly unable to string 2 passes together. What a shameful dreadful disgusting performance. Well done Salford. Don't let this go to your heads though as you have yet to meet a proper team with some drive and commitment.

• Upvote 2

Like your dad, letshaveago both my dad father in law & husband all supported Notts from being little until there deaths (my husband being only 8 weeks ago) What a shameful performance last night,it was an embarrassment to all the Notts supporters! Well done to Salford they deserved to win. I have watched better football matches on our local park. Notts players are professional footballers (or so they think) & on a wage the majority of men only dream of so its time they either pulled their socks up & commited themselves to a job they are sopposed to love or pack it in & say goodbye. I think that goes for the manager too. He hasn't got a clue!

• Upvote 1

A classic example of commitment. Magpies, especially the 'manager' just turned up for another day at the office, while Salford were fired up beyond belief. Although a County supporter as a lad, I enjoyed the moment for Salford. Last nights TV performance and their connection with the class of 92 will gain them huge support. I hope that they continue to win and entertain, but as has already been said, they have not faced a proper team yet.

• Upvote 1

Agree with your comments PP, and good luck to Salford,but i think Notts have some serious problems.

I have been a County supporter since I was 8 = 64 years and what a load of crap they turned in on Friday. Don't mind them losing - heaven knows over the years I had to suffer at times - but on Friday there was no pride or passion. I agree they seem to have serious problems and unable to even do the basic things on the pitch. Maybe twice over the 90 mins did they even threaten to score whilst it seemed a worry eveytime Salford got the ball. Good luck to Salford in the next round.

All we can hope this that County can sort themselves out they do have a couple of decent players but not enough to sustain the effort or lack of it.

I feel sorry for my two sons who are season ticket holders and travel from Tamworth to watch them

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 2

Question

I am not a football supporter but I do watch out for the results of both Nottingham sides.

How many "County" players are local men (born within 20 miles or so of Nottingham.?

Maybe a few home grown players would restore some pride in the team(same could be said of Forest)

• Upvote 2

Been in Somerset all weekend and the pub I was in on Friday night had both games on simultaneously.

Needless to say, most of the crowd were watching the Forest game and there was a momentous cheer when we won.

Of course, most of them were going to the same wedding I was attending.

• Upvote 1

Home tomorrow for a rest.

Question

I am not a football supporter but I do watch out for the results of both Nottingham sides.

How many "County" players are local men (born within 20 miles or so of Nottingham.?

Maybe a few home grown players would restore some pride in the team(same could be said of Forest)

Agree Bubble,i'm sure our local sides could find the local talent,that would do as well and probably better than paying players with no local pride,and that goes for Managers as well.

Notts were dire on Friday, no arguments. You say about local talent/youngsters coming through, look at Florests subs bench.

FWIW - most football clubs these days have a plethora of youngsters but not necessarily from the immediate vicinity. When kids are trialling they may suit one club and not another hence they may join a club nowhere near home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

#95 I didn't attend but here were some of the players who appeared:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/1982/story-12243145-detail/story.html

'World Cup stars were queuing up to play in Don Masson's testimonial match at Meadow Lane. Six players almost certain to play for England or Scotland in Spain that summer were committed to join the squad that would face a Magpies past-and-present team.

They included Forest trio Peter Shilton, Viv Anderson and John Robertson, former Reds Trevor Francis and Asa Hartford and Arsenal's Kenny Sansom.

Facing them would be former Meadow Lane favourites such as Arthur Mann, who was then playing for Mansfield Town, Les Bradd, of Wigan, and David Needham, of Forest.'

DonMassonTestimonial-06.04.82-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting one, thought I'd look it up.

I certainly remember Bestie washing up at Dunstable but Wiki says he was there on loan in 1974 and never played a game?

The same source states the Jeff was there in 1974-5 scored 25 goals but doesn't give appearances.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County