• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

I was going to say I've never seen fluffy chips, at least to when sober...

Philistine that I am I had to look that up, I've heard of it, but never seen or eaten it. Looks like fish pie to me..

Fish n' Chips      A friend of ours when staying at Winthorpe Skeg on holiday he would always call at the chippy on his way home after a night out,  The chippy I am sure most of member know of it, It's called the Linger/Longer   now our friend had this theory why the chippy was called the Linger Longer, after he had got his fish n' chips he had to walk to his caravan site which was Stows manor farm, which took about 15mins. As you went down the dirt track to your caravan there was a waste bin, and every night was the same as our friend arrived at the bin he was on his last chip. So my friends this is our chippy got its name.

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Maybe the Chinese variety from Southwell next time after I’ve saved up. 

I saw a review of the Southwell chippy that said it was awful, probably best not to go there.

@mary1947, just to add my little two pennorth of info about Linga Longa at Skegvegas. Called in once, in the mid 70s and they were without doubt the worst fish/chips we've ever had.

12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Maybe the Chinese variety from Southwell next time after I’ve saved up. 

I’ve tried the Southwell Chinese chip shop in the past and it was pretty grim but recently coming home too late to cook we had fish chips and peas from there. One portion was enough for us both and they were much improved. Not the best I’ve had by a long way but certainly quite acceptable. 

When Cods Scallops opened a branch in Carrington we were quite excited as we’d heard and read that the Wollaton branch was winning awards.  I would order on line and nip down to pick up our meal without having to queue.  A couple of years ago the meal I collected was really not up to scratch, there was a dried out piece of fish in the batter, chips and mushy peas were just acceptable.  I sent them an email to complain, I didn’t want to make a fuss by going in there but decided they needed to know we’d not been happy.  I received a quick response offering us a free meal next time.    A few weeks later I returned for our FREE takeaway to again be very disappointed with the food.  This time I left them to it and now get our fish and chips just along the road from Panchos.  We’re not big eaters and a large cod, CONE of chips and large mushy peas is perfectly adequate and costs £12.30. They’re a nice bunch of people working in there too.  

6 hours ago, Beekay said:

@mary1947, just to add my little two pennorth of info about Linga Longa at Skegvegas. Called in once, in the mid 70s and they were without doubt the worst fish/chips we've ever had.

BK   I am talking about the 60s and of cause they would not be very nice, its a long time to keep your fish n chips warm from the 60s-to the 70s,            

The thing is though when you have been out at night on the town you eat almost anything  and of cause this is men I am talking about.

• Like 1

The 2 fish n chip shop I would recommend  when we  first married around the corner from us was a chippy and the gent who owned it was named ""PERCY ""    Percy's was on Dame Agnes st   St Ann's  but by now Percy has long gone to the Chippy in the sky.  The other Chippy was  at Sutton on Sea  but they changed owners so the only other thing is get out your old chip pan and use real lard yes!!!! real lard and you will have great heart attack chips  but OH!!!! they taste good.

Not lard @mary1947, but Beef dripping. I understand it is still used in many chippies in Yorkshire.

When I were talking about Linga Longenough, it was'nt after a night on the lash, but taking our 4 year son for a paddle at Skegness. It was on our way back to Chapel St.Leonards  that we called at Linga for some late lunch. Tasted like everything was cooked in detergent ( or worse).

Your servant ma'am.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops

I see that good old Fish and Chips has regained the number one spot of Britain's favourite national dish after chicken tikka masala was in the top position for 23 years. "Consensus for the British People"?

It seems that in food at least some normality is returning to the UK.

The full list is

1. Fish and Chips
  2. Chicken Tikka Masala
  3. Roast Dinner
  4. Pie and Mash
  5. Full English Breakfast
  6. Shepherd's Pie
  7. Sausage and Mash
  8. Spag Bol

The lists differ depending upon which source you use as a reference but a reasonably consistent.

What would be your choices?

We always have a ‘full English’ in a Sunday morning. It’s a sort of religious experience. We have one Indian meal a week, just so we can experience how the poor wretches in far away lands have to suffer. We have a traditional roast on a Sunday. We had more disgusting foreign food last night, chilli con-carne. I secretly enjoy a burger and chips. It’s not always fine dining in this household! I’m never buying chip shop chips again. A total rip off!

That's what I was trying to tell yuz Phil. McCaines 1.5k bag of Home chips ( not fries ) and Youngs battered fish. There's a variety of mushy peas available, usually all under 0.50p. I get mine from Aldi or Tesco, although we've started using a newly opened Home Bargains. ( they do Harry Ramsden mushy peas).

I've really gone off frozen chips and as such make them scratch now unless I'm being really lazy then I'll buy some ready to cook ones from the Lidl fridge/chilled section which are pretty good! Have fish, homemade chips and mushy peas scheduled in for a dinner this week. Already looking forward to it!

I think there are some very good oven chips available now. Home cooked chips are excellent but do you want the smell or the potential fire hazard? I've witnessed it but not in our house fortunately.

@MelissaJKelly, having tried the cheaper home brands and not being happy with them, we now stick with McCaines home chips. They're not the cheapest, but, in my humble opinion, they are the nearest thing to home made chips. Don't like those 'Steak chips', it's like eating a log.

But they're all lovely with Mayflower curry sauce mix !

15 minutes ago, Beekay said:

That's what I was trying to tell yuz Phil. McCaines 1.5k bag of Home chips ( not fries ) and Youngs battered fish. There's a variety of mushy peas available, usually all under 0.50p. I get mine from Aldi or Tesco, although we've started using a newly opened Home Bargains. ( they do Harry Ramsden mushy peas).

I liked Harry Ramsden's in Nottingham. I met Brian Blessed in their once! Sorry to see it close.

I’d never heard of George’s before but investigation shows they’re a nationwide organisation with lots of shops. They’re probably a franchiser so the quality may vary from shop to shop. My chip shop journeys start at a 10 mile round trip and I don’t think chips, like a fine French wine, necessarily travel well. Tonight it’s one of the nation’s favourite dishes, the traditional British Chicken Tikka Masala. It’s a posh one from Waitrose though, none of yer foreign muck! 

There's a Georges opposite the Badger Box in Annesley, reckon it must be franchise.

There are several George's tradition shops which are very good, there are also George's fish and chips painted in the same colour, one on Beechdale Road called George's is not as good.